The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those that want to read The Horsemasters book

There are 3 books called the horsemasters. One has hardly anything to do with horses, the other has to do with show jumping which sounded interesting but is pretty much a jump around between different people romance and showing, and the other which is really hard to fin is the real The Horsemasters book (well the one I was looking for That is the one about going to the riding school. I wanted to read it before watching the movie (a poster on here said to) but it turns out no library in my state had it! Then on amazon the only copy was over $100! But I got lucky, and found a pretty old, about 50 year old paper back one on ebay (for like $15 after shipping, the funny thing is I get irritated spending that on new books! )and am reading it now.

If you want to read the book that goes with the movie The Horsemasters, make sure you get the right one or you will be wondering why everyone liked it

Darn, I thought you were going to say that it was posted online somewhere. Good score!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Ya, I looked everywhere for it. You know I am tempted to have my friend type it up because she types really fast, just so I can read it after the poor book finally dies! It is not in the greatest state as it is, but well worth the $15 : )

Though I can tell you that The Horsemasters VHS will be on the market again soon....... So keep your eyes open people who are looking for it : ) Really good/cute movie. Enjoyed watching it quite a bit. Couldn't believe how good condition that it was in for it's age! Now only if the book was in as good of condition. I have a Black Beauty book from 1902, first print in the US, and it is in better condition then The Horsemasters book, but the Black Beauty one is hardcover. And by the way the first print in the US Black Beauty, story is a lot different then most of them that you have read, longer, more graphic, not a kids book.

GaellentQuest - you have to tell us the author, or how else will we find the right one?!

And I'm SO glad the movie will be for sale again - I LOVE it, and my taped-off-of-Disney VHS of it died years ago

Oh my gosh--I remember reading that book as a kid and just loving it. Maybe you have my copy as it would be over 50 years old by now

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    Oh my gosh--I remember reading that book as a kid and just loving it. Maybe you have my copy as it would be over 50 years old by now
    OMG me too! I clearly remember reading that over and over and over again while I was in middle school. I think I was the only one that ever checked it out but I filled up the card between 6th and 8th grade! Thanks for the memory!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

OK everyone the author you are looking for is Don Stanford. I started to read one of the other ones and it sucked lol. On the inside of the cover it says Mary Lynn and then can't read the last name. Is that one of you? That would be funny! I just bought it off ebay a few days ago.

I didn't know it was a rarity. I still have a paperback copy I got at a library book sale when I was a kid. Nifty.

I read this as a kid and then recently (in the last 10 years or so) bought a copy on ebay and read it again. It is still good. I would LOVE to see the movie, but was never able to find it at a reasonable price on ebay. I'm glad to hear it will be re-released. By the way, I also paid an obscene amount for a ratty paperback copy that was lucky it survived one read through.

Quote Originally Posted by GaellentQuest View Post
    OK everyone the author you are looking for is Don Stanford.
    Cool! Thanks! I have requested it from the library! I had no idea it was even a book!

That was a *fantastic* book. I badgered my parents about sending me there for years... to the degree that I am surprised they didn't send me to finally hear the end of it!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by avezan View Post
    I read this as a kid and then recently (in the last 10 years or so) bought a copy on ebay and read it again. It is still good. I would LOVE to see the movie, but was never able to find it at a reasonable price on ebay. I'm glad to hear it will be re-released. By the way, I also paid an obscene amount for a ratty paperback copy that was lucky it survived one read through.
    When is it being re-released? I'm just dubbing mine onto the computer (shush don't tell anyone, or Disney) so that I have a good copy that won't die. Is it being releasaed on to DVD? If so then crap I spent almost $50 on a VHS

I scored the book and the video off ebay a few years ago. I wouldlike to get the video on to dvd so I can keep it good! The Horsemasters was why I became a professional!

Yup mine is going on DVD. Never know when those VHSs are going to die! The next time it goes into the VCR is when the VCR is hooked up to the computer to make a 'lifetime' copy.

cooper- hope your book is in better shape then mine. Mine is readable, but don't know how many times lol

Ya, I looked everywhere for it. You know I am tempted to have my friend type it up because she types really fast, just so I can read it after the poor book finally dies! It is not in the greatest state as it is, but well worth the $15 : )
    You know they sell scanners, right?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

When is it being re-released? I'm just dubbing mine onto the computer (shush don't tell anyone, or Disney) so that I have a good copy that won't die. Is it being releasaed on to DVD? If so then crap I spent almost $50 on a VHS
    I thought it was you that said it would be on the market again soon! What did you mean? I would really like to see the movie.

Oh by that I ment that after it is on DVD it will probably end up back on ebay. That way I have a copy, and someone else who is searching for the movie has a chance to watch it.

As for the scanners, I don't know if the binding on the book would hold up to it, but maybe after I am done reading it I will see what happens. It is just a shame it is hard to find and none of librarys in my state that I searched had the right one. They had the wrong ones, but not the one I was looking for.

I thought it was you that said it would be on the market again soon! What did you mean? I would really like to see the movie.

Sorry I thought you meant that you saw it being released on DVD I ment that after I made a good copy, that wouldn't die (ie a DVD or just on my computer) that I was going to sell it, because there are so few copies and so many people that want to see it.

Oh, I see. So, I'll still have to scan ebay for a copy, huh?