The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To clarify, in my roarer's case the surgery did not kill him, the aftercare did.

Quote Originally Posted by cyndi View Post
    Vet said it was not uncommon in higher level dressage horses.
    Roaring is more common in large than small horses. The dressage world is filled with big warmbloods.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Karoline View Post
    To clarify, in my roarer's case the surgery did not kill him, the aftercare did.
    That's terrible, what happened? Was it hospital care or home care?
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Originally Posted by cyndi
    Vet said it was not uncommon in higher level dressage horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Roaring is more common in large than small horses. The dressage world is filled with big warmbloods.
    My entire post is not quoted. My vet was not speaking about roaring in the above instance. I had a horse with a partially collapsed trachea, that I thought was roaring until I had her scoped. He was talking about the partially collapsed trachea not being uncommon in higher level dressage horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    That's terrible, what happened? Was it hospital care or home care?
    I had the surgery at a clinic rather then a hospital. I did not trust the vet/clinic owner for the surgery so brought in the retired head of surgery for Davis. I thought the clinic would be safe for after care and I wanted to be able to visit my horse daily which would not have been possible working in SF. I had gone and checked things before the surgery and it came recommended by two friends who had had surgeries there. The aftercare was beyond negligent and my horse developed salmonella. I tried everything for 11 days. In hindsight I would have had him euthanized on the second day. That clinic closed and that vet moved to another state.

I can report having a successful outcome following surgery for my horse but prefer to share details with you via PM because I have experienced some "personal attacks" and would prefer to keep private details private............

Also, not sure if anyone noted this but when discussing options with New Bolten in 2001 they noted that "roaring" issues are COMMON in MOST draft breeds and large warmbloods......my recollection of the explanation given was......something about the long distance the nerves that control the epiglottis(?) had to travel up and across to the other side of the neck.....???......I posted information on this topic years ago........(see above)

Quote Originally Posted by Karoline View Post
    I had the surgery at a clinic rather then a hospital. I did not trust the vet/clinic owner for the surgery so brought in the retired head of surgery for Davis. I thought the clinic would be safe for after care and I wanted to be able to visit my horse daily which would not have been possible working in SF. I had gone and checked things before the surgery and it came recommended by two friends who had had surgeries there. The aftercare was beyond negligent and my horse developed salmonella. I tried everything for 11 days. In hindsight I would have had him euthanized on the second day. That clinic closed and that vet moved to another state.
    Terrible, so sorry.