The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage scene in Southern Pines NC?

Just bought a farm in Southern Pines, NC. Cannot wait to start getting down there. Are there good dressage instructors in that area that will travel to you? I know Jim Koford used to be down there, but moved. Any other info on the area would be appreciated, like farriers, feed stores, etc. We love the area!

I have moved there too and love it. Anteres Dressage is the one that comes to me right now..I'm presently back in Fl for a few weeks, but when I get back I can PM you with #'s of feed , vet, farrier ect if you still need them by then. Welcome to NC!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Im in Raleigh, NC (about an hour north of you) and there is alot of Dressage stuff around there. Be sure to check out NCDCTA.org and they have the calender of shows, classifieds, trainer directory, etc. Im not sure about travelling trainers. Most people I know trailer their horse to the trainer. Jim Koford was at Pepperwood, in Fuquay-Varina, but I believe he just moved a little North of Raleigh.

Welcome to the area!! Southern Pines is beautiful!!!

Jim Koford is NOT at Pepperwood farm. He is at Riverwind Farm in Oxford NC...However, he still does clinics at someone's farm in Southern Pines.

Oh Im so jealous! I use to live there (now fl) and miss it so much! Aberdeen feed and supply is the place to go for hay,feed etc.They use to special grain every week just for me and customer service was always top notch. Also Southern Pines has a feed store as well. They have more "tack and clothes" as well as Aberdeen has mainly feed and supplies. There is also a tack store downtown southern pines as well.

I loved Fred Mcashin as my vet. There are several in the area however so theres plenty of great sources. As far as farriers, I would ask about someone through whichever trainer you start riding with or just call around until you find someone that matches your needs

Trainers-Jim Koford is of course excellent. In would somewhat depend on what kind of trainer your looking for ( as far as level etc). Locally Mark Weissbecker, Becca Vick and Peter Nordlander come to mind. There is also someone in Aberdeen, hopefully someone can provide her name (she had just moved in when I was on the way out) who I have heard nothing but excellent things about.

Check out ncdcta.org as well as NChorsenews website.
    Welcome
    It\'s not the color of the ribbon that counts,but the color of the ride.
    Oh My!

Let me just say that I am jealous! I LOVE Southern Pines (well, NC in general) and it's my dream place to live! It's just so beautiful there, beautiful enough to put up with the humidity. (I'm a CA girl... )

Ditto to Aberdeen Feed! They are FAB and make me smile everytime I visit. Their customer service is unmatched.
    It seems there are lots and lots of dressage schooling shows down in these parts.

www.antaresdressage.com Vicki Kelley does travel to teach some lessons, but mainly people trailer in to her. She is wonderful.

Wow thanks so much for all the replies and great info. I am going to print this so I will have the info with me next time I go down. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. The area is so beautiful and the people all seem wonderul. We were down there last weekend, and 20 people must have ridden by. It was great. We are planning on coming down for a week when my daughter in on spring break. We hope to eventually get down there full time, but I will probably spend a good part of next winter there myself as this winter was a bear!

I am looking forward to meeting people!

Thumbs up

I highly recomemend Lynn Doki out of Walhalla Farm-she is in Aberdeen and is AWESOME. She will travel for lessons but also has a covered arena if you want to trailer in. CLose to CHP-she is patient-great sense of humor and a fantastic rider and trainer. She is willing to work with ANY rider or horse and is patient in helping a rider/horse overcome any fears. She helped me overcome my fear of cantering and loves my old timer Sam who is a TB. Will go to shows but no pressure to do so. Is a USDF silver medalist.

Her lessons are fun and informative. SHe explains things in terms YOU can understand! Try her out! I can't say enough about her!

Trainers-Jim Koford is of course excellent. In would somewhat depend on what kind of trainer your looking for ( as far as level etc). Locally Mark Weissbecker, Becca Vick and Peter Nordlander come to mind. There is also someone in Aberdeen, hopefully someone can provide her name (she had just moved in when I was on the way out) who I have heard nothing but excellent things about.

I am pretty sure that its Lynn Doki -she is the only dressage trainer that I know of that is in Aberdeen. Sorry I tried to keep it the quotes thing but haven't learned that part yet!

SRN Guest

Smile Dressage scene in Southern Pines NC

I am relocating to Pinehurst/Southern Pines area and am looking for a Dressage oriented boarding/training stable with special attention to great care for the horses. Also a capable trainer to Grand Prix would be nice !! Could anyone recommend some good barns to check out??

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post
    Im in Raleigh, NC (about an hour north of you) and there is alot of Dressage stuff around there. Be sure to check out NCDCTA.org and they have the calender of shows, classifieds, trainer directory, etc. Im not sure about travelling trainers. Most people I know trailer their horse to the trainer. Jim Koford was at Pepperwood, in Fuquay-Varina, but I believe he just moved a little North of Raleigh.

Welcome to the area!! Southern Pines is beautiful!!!
    I know this is an old thread....but,

Jim Koford is back in the states momentarily (I think he is in southern pines for the month of Dec, then goes to FL) and then he returns to Germany in the spring. He moved out of the states last summer. We miss him.

Default Welcome to NC and the Southern Pines area

We are delighted you are relocating to the SP/Aberdeen area and hope you will join NCDCTA where you will find lots of fun dressage and eventing people as well as dozens of schooling shows and USDF rated shows, clinics, symposiums and camps for both adults and kids.

here is the link to our website (please note it is a COM , not an ORG) where you can see a list of trainers, barns, shows and clinics as well as a link to our membership page.

http://www.ncdcta.com/

We just hosted the GAIG USDF Region 1 Championships and will be hosting a CDI*** along with our Capital Dressage Classic next June, so we know how to put on first class shows, while staying down home friendly.

There is a list of NCDCTA board members also on the website so feel free to contact any one of us if you have any questions.

Best wishes
    Suzanne Mullen
    President, NCDCTA

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SRN View Post
    I am relocating to Pinehurst/Southern Pines area and am looking for a Dressage oriented boarding/training stable with special attention to great care for the horses. Also a capable trainer to Grand Prix would be nice !! Could anyone recommend some good barns to check out??
    HIGHLY RECOMMED LYNN DOKI IN ABERDEEN! SHE IS AWESOME! Has trained horses up to Grand Prix-her website is www.walhallafarm.com

You can contact me if you want more information!

NB Dressage Stables Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SRN View Post
    NB Dressage Stables are located in southern pines, NC we offers boarding and training for any level in dressage and showjumping.
    We have 2 small, safe and private stables, 5 horses in etch barn. We have grass paddocks, dressage/jumping arena. On site is Swedish FEI Grand Prix rider and a swedish International jumping trainer. All personal is european.
    For more info and price please contact us on nb.dressage@hotmail.com