The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Where are all of the ponies?

or free (or cheap) horses for that matter? Reading this board you would think that they are being dropped off in cardboard boxes at doorsteps there are so many.

A bit of background: We are a breeding facility for a couple of quality warmbloods a year. Now my children want a pony. I would prefer broke - as in dead broke/3 hooves in the grave (well not quite, but you get my drift). Soooo, DH and I have started searching quietly and can't find anything? I haven't gone the auction route yet, but sitting at home with a broken foot has given me hours to search Craigslist and a dozen or o online sale sites.

I replied to a couple of listings on the Giveaways and couldn't even get a reply.

Craigslist within 4 hours of me has several unbroke ponies and a $6000 event pony (uuuh, no). Local rescue has (voice for horses) has several horse-sized mutts, no ponies, but website is WAAAAY out of date.

We don't need one today......waiting for a sold two year old to leave next month, but I thought I would have my pick.
    I'm not just looking for free either, but I'm not willing to pay through the nose for crap either.

Thanks for listening to me vent...........
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Safe, broke, kids ponies just don't tend to show up for free as such. There are a ton of young, green, old, unsound, ill, starved, and total unknowns. There might be some suitable kid-safe ponies in the mix, but they're currently not in a state where they can be tried/certified kid-safe.

If someone knows what they've got, chances are its found a home long before its ever listed online.

Your best bet for those available without a connection are camp horses leaving their programs in August, and making calls to trail riding/dude ranch establishments - Most have ponies for the kids, and their bomb-proof- though they won't know much.

I so do feel your pain. Good ponies are hard to find. I ended up pulling a pasture puff out of the easy life. She was older but really loved kids. Sadly she died in an accident after we had spent all that time retraining her. We miss her every day.
    So the search has resumed. We did end up rescuing a pony and she is just now healthy enough to go to the trainers to be restarted. However I have my doubts about her. She is a Reg. Welsh and cute as a button but she is a firecracker. Regardless she is safe with us.
    We would love to open our home to a horse in need but haven't been able to find one that will work. I wonder the same thing as you do. Where are they and how do I find them?

Well, I'm not really interested in waiting until August and as I explained, although I am looking at the free sites, I am willing to pay for a pony.

But come-on! $1000 for a foundered 13yr old?????
    http://buyhorses.mobi/Horse.aspx?HN=20314

(note the child riding in high heels )
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Find an auction that's near an Amish community. There are usually tons of attractive, broke ponies at my local auction, which is near the Amish folk.

You mean you DON"T ride in high heels?

How far are you willing to go for the pony? Plenty seem to run through New Holland if you look at AC4H's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Well, I'm not really interested in waiting until August and as I explained, although I am looking at the free sites, I am willing to pay for a pony.

But come-on! $1000 for a foundered 13yr old?????
    http://buyhorses.mobi/Horse.aspx?HN=20314

(note the child riding in high heels )
    Actually, I think this pony looks pretty cute. And obviously he's been well cared for. What could possibly be wrong with the owners asking above the meat price for him? I hope his owners don't read your post and decide to dump him on the side of the road.

OP, try Petfinder. I have seen cute ponies on Petfinder for free or almost free.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I always kept a few ponies for my daughter to ride and compete on. She has done very well with those ponies and now she has moved into horses I have one left (well actually I have two, her 12.2hh pony that she has had since she was 1 year old and will remain here all her days). The other ponies I sold, but boy did they take a while to sell. These were all fantastic ponies who stripped most shows of their ribbons. I was asking pennies for these ponies (well in the ballpark of $3,500 - $5,500) and although I had a ton of inquiries I got so many tire kickers! Taking their kids out for a free weekend ride and with no intention of buying anything. So I've kept the hunter/jumper one for the time being as she is 14.1hh so a good size to put any beginner person on. This one is the one who has won everything at shows and as I have some very quiet youngsters coming up the ranks I will advertise her again this year and maybe I should only let people come and view her on miserable days ... just to keep the damn tire kickers away!

I would never get back into producing ponies again. Too much hassle.

The key word is "kid broke."

They are hard to find and priceless.

All my husband and I do is ride/drive ponies...they are all amazing ponies but not kids ponies. Ponies may seem like a dime a dozen but finding the right one for a child is really tough. And if you want free/cheap some times close to impossible.

Heck, I think $6K for an event pony is a really good deal!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Quote Originally Posted by KellyS View Post
    The key word is "kid broke."

They are hard to find and priceless.

All my husband and I do is ride/drive ponies...they are all amazing ponies but not kids ponies. Ponies may seem like a dime a dozen but finding the right one for a child is really tough. And if you want free/cheap some times close to impossible.

Heck, I think $6K for an event pony is a really good deal!
    I think that 6k for this pony is a steal, but not at all what I am looking for!

http://toledo.craigslist.org/grd/1635138322.html
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

This is why I've always had so much trouble finding a large pony/small horse for myself. The safe and sane ones that I'm looking for are going for exhorbitant prices, and are usually sold without ever going on the market, because they're kid safe.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I have to be honest, I don't know of any well cared for dead broke ponies that are going for free - or even cheap. Folks still pay a premium for a pony they'd trust with their kids. Those ponies are special and worth their weight in gold! If you manage to find one for free or cheap, it's probably because its owner doesn't know what a gem he has.
    You might have an easier time finding a free lease. Lots of us have kids who have outgrown their pony but won't sell it....
    Y'all ain't right!

I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full

Either way, this guy may be a titch too tall or old, not sure. But he's seen pretty much everything
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I have to be honest, I don't know of any well cared for dead broke ponies that are going for free - or even cheap. Folks still pay a premium for a pony they'd trust with their kids. Those ponies are special and worth their weight in gold! If you manage to find one for free or cheap, it's probably because its owner doesn't know what a gem he has.
    You might have an easier time finding a free lease. Lots of us have kids who have outgrown their pony but won't sell it....
    Or their owner knows exactly what they have but dont have a current rider for it and are willing to lease it out for free to a deserving kid who needs a nice quiet pony but cant afford one. Its not always about the money.

LOL! Just realize I had to clean out my PM box!

Lots of good ideas.........we'll probably look at the auction in the next month or two when that stall becomes available (I actually have an extra stall now but my husband thought it would be a good home for about 7 motorcycles).
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full

Either way, this guy may be a titch too tall or old, not sure. But he's seen pretty much everything
    Oooohhh, now that is just about right. Wish he were closer!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by skrgirl View Post
    Or their owner knows exactly what they have but dont have a current rider for it and are willing to lease it out for free to a deserving kid who needs a nice quiet pony but cant afford one. Its not always about the money.
    That's whay I typed this:
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I knew exactly what I had and leased our Wonderpony out to several kids after my girls had outgrown her. There was no way I was ever going to let that darling beastie go, but her mission in life was to give kids a good start!
    Y'all ain't right!

I have to agree that pony looked lovely and had a fair price. If you were looking for a dead-broke safe sweet horse for an adult beginner, would you think $1000 for a 13 yr old too much?

Almost 20 years ago I paid $500 for a 21 yr old with an old founder (had my vet and farrier check him over) for my daughter and I would have added another zero on there after what he meant to her and to our family for 10 years. You can't put a price on the peace of mind of putting your beginner child up on a safe, enjoyable pony, especially after seeing so many kids absolutely miserable on theirs.

I wouldn't worry too much about an old founder, so many ponies do have mild cases if let out on grass.
    The fact that the guy mentioned it upfront would make me feel better about buying from him.

Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Deadbroke is $$$$

Now, you can find spoiled, nasty little foundered things for free if you're willing to work with them.

LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...