The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do people still buy stuff off eBay?

I want to clean out a bunch of old horse books and blankets, but I don't really feel like doing a garage sale. Should I bother with eBay? Or wait and hope some one does a used tack sale soon?

I bought 4 blankets off ebay this past fall
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

I seem to buy more stuff off of Bits and Barter than Ebay these days. Maybe they just seem to have the stuff I need now.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

In the last 6 months I have bought the following from ebay: saddle, baby pad, blanket, fabric jump panels, wither relief pad, and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

I give up before I managed to get through all the cyber-scammer junk sellers. I haven't bought anything in ages.

I stick with my local craigslist. Bits and Barter is a good place too. Lots of stuff there and it moves quick.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I've never heard of Bits and Barter. Is it a message list? Do you pay them a fee to list stuff?

I have a bunch of stuff to sell including a decent/nice saddle so this thread is of interest to me too.

OP, I have sold and bought horse stuff on Ebay this year. Standing martingale, books, etc.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Bits and Barter is a forum-style and all ads are FREE!

http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/index.cgi

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Well, yes, we do ---- just come visit my tack room! ---- but thanks for the Bits and Barter info!
    EBay fees can add up before you know it when your're selling. . . even if your item(s) don't sell.

I've found that eBay sells faster than bits & barter. I've sold a saddle, some SMB Boots and a few other things recently.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Ebay and Kijiji for me ... both buying and selling ... have been selling my EcoStraw bedding like crazy through Kijiji and some extra hay as well. And have some old riding clothes that I listed and it looks like they are sold as well

Am in the midst of bidding on a fabulous incubator on Ebay and crossing my fingers that I get it!

Have to go check out Bits and Barter now ...

I still buy on ebay and always cruise for used blankets but the truth is shipping costs for blankets gets pricey so it limits my spending money

FYI, Ebay's fee structure changes the end of the month and if I'm reading it right it is a good idea to sell the big ticket items now.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    I give up before I managed to get through all the cyber-scammer junk sellers. I haven't bought anything in ages.

I stick with my local craigslist.
    This.

What equineartworks said. Ebay used to be great. Now with all the scammers and just regular on-line retailers using it, it's pretty much useless for those of us looking for real bargains.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

I don't find that the case at all, I love ebay.

I get great bargains on pricey saddles and high end tack I'd never be able to afford selling for one fifth its price. And I do well selling what I don't need, I nearly always break even if not do a little better. I've never had a scammer problem, and I've only had two problems with sellers, both of which Ebay solved immediately. Even gave me my $$ back including shipping for an item that was not as described and the seller tried to hide behind the old "no returns" game.

Selling is expensive, but I love buying on ebay.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

Quote Originally Posted by JFJ View Post
    I want to clean out a bunch of old horse books and blankets, but I don't really feel like doing a garage sale. Should I bother with eBay? Or wait and hope some one does a used tack sale soon?
    I don't know about small stuff but it has really become the number one place for tractors and big equipment

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I will buy the odd thing on ebay, but it really is becoming annoying sifting through all the junk ads- it might just be me but it seems like there is less quality stuff being sold there lately.
    I won't sell there again after the last sale. I sold a fairly expensive saddle and the paypal payment went through Feb 14
    I have 100% feedback and lots of transactions- nothing that should raise a red flag. But apparently they've changed things because I can't access the funds until March 12, although they were awfully quick to take the seller fees out of that! It's not like I desperately need the cash....but it makes me uncomfortable knowing the saddle is long gone but the money is not really in my account.