The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer ?: Featherlite advice

Calling on other COTHers who have experience with Featherlite trailers!! I am considering taking a look at a 1991 2H, GN, straight load "Touch of Class" model Featherlite. Any experiences, good and bad, would be of great help if you could share them. It is 7'6" tall, full divider, 14' in length (4foot dressing room on floor), 6' wide.

I am trying to fit my 16.3H TB who is has turned out to be very particular about the trailer she is on. She does okay on stock trailers, my smaller two horse is 6'7" and she is cramped on it height wise (it is dark inside and she is panicing on it once the doors are shut up), and I have tried her on a huge titan but she was nervous on it because it echoed a lot inside.

This trailer I am inquiring on is a good 8hours away from me. So I am just looking for feedback on them. TIA

I'm on Featherlight Number Three. I vote with my dollars.

Any maker can have a "monday" with a trailer. Some have more than others (due to poor design, poor materials, etc.).

The only way to know for sure what you're dealing with is to go and put your hands and eyeballs on it (or have someone you trust do it for you).

Good luck in your quest.

G.

Never in a million years will I EVER own another product made by Universal Trailers, unless you like a self destructing product that is unreliable and in fact, at times, dangerous. But to each his/her own....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

I have a 1989 Featherlite 3 horse slant-load gooseneck. It's not so shiny anymore, and shows it's age around the edges, but it's held up really well and is still in great shape. I would buy another Featherlite without hesitation (if I won the lottery) .
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

They are not finished very well, especially the edges of aluminium pieces. (just cut off as opposed to rolled edges) This makes a nasty sharp dangerous edge.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thanks! My search wasnt bringing anything up awhile ago. Just did another search and found some other Featherlite threads. I am reading through those now!

Some very vaild points to think about and check out. I really want a Hawk, but they are hard to find used at a good price with the options I really want. Search goes on....

JumpHigh83 universal bought out featherlite in 08 she is talking about 89 so featherlite was not made by them at that time. I would say take the trailer to place that sells/repairs trailers and have it inspected. Make sure you remove the mats so they can see the floor. My featherlite is 10 years old now and still looks new. As long as you take care of them they will last. That means cleaning the mats/get the floor acid washed/washing & waxing every year.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I love my Featherlite. Purchased it at the Qhorse Congress a couple years ago. Will never buy another brand. Great trailer, used all the time, looks great, nothing has broke, still shiny, easy to clean. Nice Nice Nice.

The old ones (90s) I know are noisy. Lots to rattle when you are going down the road. I'd go see it-- and jump up and down in it-- before I bought.

But that's just me...... doing my research and looking like a dork.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Last year I bought mine from a friend (who bought it new) it's a '89 4 horse LQ and it's amazing. NO sharp edges, strong and safe, horses love it
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

I have a 96 BP Featherlite and it is in great shape, but do agree it can be noisy if the butt/shoulder bars are down on the empty side. Customer service is also good when ordering parts.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Regardless of the brand of trailer if your mare feels cramped she might hate the full divider. Makes many horses scramble.That being said a friend has a Featherlite that is 10-15 years old & it's built like a tank. Very nice. I'm also trailer shopping (have been forever) but getting closer to making a decision. It's difficult isn't it??? Good luck with yours.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com