The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,233

    Question Where is everyone buying their raspberry leaf/Magnesium supplement?

    I'm looking for a possible new supplier for my raspberry leaf this year. The place I usually buy from, while they advertise "FREE SHIPPING!!!", has a $6.25 "handling fee".

    Anyone know of a place where shipping is REALLY free on raspberry leaf?

    Also, I've heard the reason raspberry leaf works is the Magnesium in them. Would it be cheaper for me to just buy Magnesium to add into my mare's diet?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    I bought my 32 oz bag of mare magic from www.victorycanter.com for about 46.95 Free shipping on 50.00 or more. It's a 210 day supply...no one else came close to their price on MM.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I bought my 32 oz bag of mare magic from www.victorycanter.com for about 46.95 Free shipping on 50.00 or more. It's a 210 day supply...no one else came close to their price on MM.
    Mare Magic is straight Raspberry Leaves. I can buy a pound of raspberry leaves for $4 or so. I bought 2 pounds of it and with shipping included it was under $15. Can't remember where I got it from (was a place recommended on here) but it's a helluva lot cheaper than the price of Mare Magic for the same dang thing.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,713

    Default

    50 pounds of Mag Ox at the feed store.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 11, 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    I buy my MagOx from HorseTech. It's pretty cheap and I want to say that shipping is free. Either way, it's a great company and you always get a bag of Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies . And... shipping is fairly quick.

    I *want* to say that you can purchase raspberry leaves through herbalcom.com, but I can't remember for sure. I've used that company plenty of times in the past, always with good results.

    I haven't got a clue about if you need both the raspberry leaves and magnesium or if you can get by with just the magnesium.

    ETA: Yep, www.herbalcom.com does carry raspberry leaves... as cheap as $4.55/pound.

    And, shipping is FREE thru HorseTech.com.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Mare Magic is straight Raspberry Leaves. I can buy a pound of raspberry leaves for $4 or so. I bought 2 pounds of it and with shipping included it was under $15. Can't remember where I got it from (was a place recommended on here) but it's a helluva lot cheaper than the price of Mare Magic for the same dang thing.
    I'd love to know where you got that...because when I shopped around for straight rasberry leaves/herb sites...no one was any cheaper than Mare Magic. So I would love to hear if someone has an herb shop that is truly cheaper.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    716

    Default

    We use Frontier Herbs for our raspberry leaves. Great prices!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I'd love to know where you got that...because when I shopped around for straight rasberry leaves/herb sites...no one was any cheaper than Mare Magic. So I would love to hear if someone has an herb shop that is truly cheaper.
    Check out Appychik's post right above you for herbalcom.com That's where I got mine from. $4.55 a pound.

    So you paid $46.95 for 2 lbs of Mare Magic with free shipping when you could have bought the straight raspberry leaves for under $15 for the same amount with shipping. I bought a small bag of Mare Magic initially just to get the scoop and find out the right amount to give. Bought the straight Raspberry leaves while I still had some Mare Magic and the only difference was the straight raspberry leaves were MUCH fresher than the Mare Magic.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,208

    Default

    I get my raspberry leaf from the Monteray Bay Spice Company, www.herbco.com. It is $4.50 a pound- I bought 5 pounds last May or June and I still have about a month's supply left.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2005
    Location
    The Land of the Frozen
    Posts
    13,787

    Default

    http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/p...y-leaf-cs.html at $10.33 a pound

    or

    Rose Mountain Herbs but they're backordered right now. I think their price is normally $7 something a pound.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2001
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    I get mine fro Monterey Bay too. I just ordered some last week and I thought the shipping was high. It looks like herbalcom.com is cheaper b/c of the free shipping. FWIW, 4 lbs lasts for 4-5 months.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2008
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Can someone tell me me how many grams, ounces, cups or whatever that you are feeding daily? I have been ordering from Ameriherb, but the shipping to Canada is very expensive - don't know if they ship cheaper within the U.S. I always picture the Custom's agents opening the 20 lb. box of leaf and saying --AH HAH......gotcha!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokesaladannie View Post
    Can someone tell me me how many grams, ounces, cups or whatever that you are feeding daily? I have been ordering from Ameriherb, but the shipping to Canada is very expensive - don't know if they ship cheaper within the U.S. I always picture the Custom's agents opening the 20 lb. box of leaf and saying --AH HAH......gotcha!
    1/4 cup per day.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2008
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Thanks SE.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokesaladannie View Post
    Thanks SE.
    No prob! You don't have to pack it into the 1/4 cup real tight either, I just scoop it in loosely and mare's good to go.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 17, 2000
    Location
    Berlin, CT
    Posts
    4,022

    Default

    I get mine from Herb N Horse $4.20 a pound

    http://www.herbnhorse.com/store.php3...906896fa94a2a9
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Mar. 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: Nov. 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun. 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
  4. Magnesium content of Raspberry leaves?
    By outfoxem in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May. 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
  5. Raspberry leaf questions
    By JoZ in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb. 1, 2008, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •