The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Horse Books...what's your favorite or your current read?

I love to read about horse related topics as much as I love to ride. Right now I am reading "Become Perfect Partners" by Kelly Marks. This one is great so far. This is the second of her books that I have read and really enjoyed.

I just finished reading Jane Smiley's first young adult novel, The Georges and The Jewels. I found it while perusing the middle school library. It's a sort of coming of age tale set in the 1960's. The protagonist's father is a "dealer", picking up horses in Oklahoma and bringing them to resell in California. He doesn't want Abby to get attached, so the geldings are all named George and the mares are all named Jewel. At this time Abby is struggling with "Ornery George" and defying her father by refusing to ride him. There's some middle school drama and some family tension caused by the father and older brother's estrangement. Has a touch of natural horsemanship in it. I found it to be a decent read for the age group it is intended for.

I love Tami Hoag's Dark Horse and The Alibi Man.

In Service to the Horse is also a fantastic book.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

In Service to the Horse by Susan Nusser.

Renegade Champion: The Unlikely Rise of Fitzrada by Richard Rust.
    Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.

I finished The Show Gypsies at the start of the month and loved it. Now I am finishing the third Ruby Murphy mystery (after Hex and Gargantuan), Flamethrower; I read all three of these mysteries this month and love them.

I also really enjoyed Horse Heaven and A Portion for Foxes.

I read and reread Centered Riding - it is on my night stand.

Fiction - Smokey the cow horse by Will James, a first edition of Black Beauty and Brighty of Grand Canyon are three I reread. I am a fan of the late Dick Francis but nothing else has really appealed lately.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Well, it's not really about horses per say, but about a woman growing up in the West in the early 1900's. Her and her dad broke horses, and throughout the book makes mention of her Paint mare and just certain stories of her riding along the way. Really great book!

'Half Broke Horses' by Jeannette Walls.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I am into Rita Mae Brown's murder mysterys in the Virginia Fox Hunting set. Yummy

I just got done with Jec Ballou's Equine Fitness which was really good and am reading Daniel Stewart's Ride Right which is excellent.

Fiction, gotta go with Smoky the Cowhorse (Will James) - makes me cry every time. And Wildfire (Zane Grey) - awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    I am into Rita Mae Brown's murder mysterys in the Virginia Fox Hunting set. Yummy

Me, too, hounded to death is about to be finished...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

finally checked out Last Junior Year from the library a few months ago, as well as The Georges and The Jewels. I'm planning on really reading through my copy of Centered Riding next...

Can't remember the author but my favourite is a novel called "Virginia's Gentleman". Such a beautiful book that my mom found at a used bookstore. Definitely worth a read!

Jilly Cooper's Riders, and Polo. You really cannot go wrong with some good ol' fashioned smut, showjumping, and polo riders.

But if you have a clean mind [or are underage / young minded etc...]
    I LOVE - The Monday Horses by Jean Slaughter Doty. One of my favorite horse novels of all time and when I first read it years ago, I was showing my own pony in H/J and the book really opened my eyes to the seedier side of BNT abuse and of drugging at pony finals etc...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

My all-time favorites are the old-school YA books--anything by Lynn Hall, Jean Slaughter Doty, Isabelle Holland (her novel "Perdita" is a must-read), K.M. Peyton. I keep a list of all the out-of-print titles I loved as a child and hope to have them all someday.....The Monday Horses is at the top of that list.

Other than those titles--Barn Blind by Jane Smiley is a REALLY good read--set in the Chicago burbs and details how a mother's obsession with her horse business slowly destroys her family.

Most recently, I read Beyond The Homestretch: What I Learned From Saving Racehorses. It's a good, heartwarming account of the author's experience starting and running a TB rescue. However, she seems to have had WAY better luck than most and I don't know if it's the most realistic account of horse rescuing. Worth the read, though.

"Most recently, I read Beyond The Homestretch: What I Learned From Saving Racehorses. It's a good, heartwarming account of the author's experience starting and running a TB rescue. However, she seems to have had WAY better luck than most and I don't know if it's the most realistic account of horse rescuing. Worth the read, though."

I just finished this book and it is very good. She really has learned on the job and is the exception!

I also just finished a book called Horsepower about a woman that saves a draft horse and her life with him. It is a very sweet book.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    Jilly Cooper's Riders, and Polo. You really cannot go wrong with some good ol' fashioned smut, showjumping, and polo riders.
    Another good one along these lines is Barbara Moss's In and Out
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
    Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss. Fantastic book. I cried at the end, my husband cried at the end when he read it, it's just so touching and so well written.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Love Dick Francis - have all of his books and have re-read them all several times.

Also love and have all of Richard Stone Reeves books - although not an easy read due to their size - they are magnificent.

Collect C.W. Anderson books and although they are written for children - they are great, light reading and who could not love the illustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyTB View Post
    My all-time favorites are the old-school YA books--anything by Lynn Hall, Jean Slaughter Doty, Isabelle Holland (her novel "Perdita" is a must-read), K.M. Peyton. I keep a list of all the out-of-print titles I loved as a child and hope to have them all someday.....The Monday Horses is at the top of that list.
    K.M Peyton's "Fly By Night" is still one of my favorites. Her books are meant for teens, but later in the series deal with quite mature themes. I def. recommend if you can find them!

Dancer [and the rest of the series] by Canadian author Shelley Peterson are also good show jumping [and eventing] reads...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Collect C.W. Anderson books and although they are written for children - they are great, light reading and who could not love the illustrations.
    I LOVE his books. Twenty Gallant Horses was my mainstay as a child. I haven't found one of those that I want to buy yet, but did get Black, Bay & Chestnut, A Touch of Greatness and Big Red (cuz Man O' War is my favorite). His books are wonderful!