The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you think of this horse's bloodlines, especially the dam? (TB)

Hey!

So, just wondering what you guys thought about these bloodlines. The sire has some heavy hitters on his line, like Naive and Northern Dancer and Turn-To, but I'm not too familiar with the mare's lines- What do you think? From a Jumper/Eventer line of thought, not racing.

Sire: Halory Hunter : http://www.pedigreequery.com/halory+hunter

Dam: Princess Martha: http://www.pedigreequery.com/princess+martha

Thanks!

I quite like the dam's side of the horse. Most every single one of the sires to the fourth generation are well known for something jumping related.

Now, the sire has Halo, who I personally can't stand. I've found his offspring to be complete idiots, even with him farther back in the pedigree. No head on their shoulders at all. But, this horse may be different. I wouldn't pass the horse up based on that, but I would be on the look out for warning signs.

Default What Copper's Mom said

All of the Halo's I've met were real contenders - there's a reason they make a race horse! Even old broken down Halo Dottie at 20-something was still pretty fiery. Her 4YO daughter (I handled them both through the same sale several years ago) was a real pistol.

REALLY like the dam side, though, lots of good lines there to work with.If the temperament/attitude on this horse is not pulling up the Halo, you have a lot of nice stuff to draw from.

Mare or gelding?
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Stallion. We aren't buying, just breeding- We have a Trakehner mare http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lalka that we've decided to try to breed to him this spring. (She has an absolutely fantastic mind- Very calm, very smart, very sweet, very easy to work with) He's young and has only competed up to Training level Eventing, and has only had a few foals, all out of the owner's mares. He has nice gaits though (Not breath-taking, sure, but his trot is his weaker point and it's still plenty nice, especially considering the mare has nice movement.) and nice natural jumping technique.

As for his temperament- I don't own him by any means, but he's been boarding at the stable we are at for the winter and he has never struck me as crazy. He can work in the arena fine with other horses and leads in and out fine (They don't need a chain). You can go up and pet him and whatever and he doesn't act any more uppity or aggressive than any other horse. He is pastured next to another gelding but in sight of mares, and he doesn't fight over the fence or pay much attention to the mares- I think they think this is because he's never been allowed to breed there before and so doesn't associate the place with breeding. His owner and the people who work with him say he's sweet.

I suppose he seems pretty calm and sweet to me, but I can't say I'm a stallion expert- The only four stallions I have spent any time around were two TBs (Both stalled 24/7 and only lead out to breed, or at least the time of year we went to look at them- So you know what they thought when they went out and there wasn't a mare there.) and two Lipizzaners (Who were in just about the same situation, minus the breeding. Luckily they never produced offspring- What terrible examples of the breed!) who were all, understandably, pretty uppity.

Buckpasser, Round Table and Priciquillo all up front: I like the dam side better than the sire.
    I am a fan of neither Mr. P nor Halo on the whole. Other offspring of Raise A Native and Hail To Reason yes.....but not those two. Northern D is everywhere so though not bad, he is not "special" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppers mom View Post
    I quite like the dam's side of the horse. Most every single one of the sires to the fourth generation are well known for something jumping related.

Now, the sire has Halo, who I personally can't stand. I've found his offspring to be complete idiots, even with him farther back in the pedigree. No head on their shoulders at all. But, this horse may be different. I wouldn't pass the horse up based on that, but I would be on the look out for warning signs.
    Little late to this thread...but that is interesting. The OTTB that I currently have is the first one I've ever had with Halo. http://www.pedigreequery.com/loveton I found this thread because I was looking to see what folks have said about Halo lines....to see if this is something I should be looking for!

Super smart....one of the BEST brains I've ever had in a TB. He went to a dressage show and did the eventing novice tests with only 30 days of training (after resting for 6 months coming off the track--with over 20 starts)....and scored extremely well. Did his first BN event with only 60 days and did well. I could put kid on this horse to jump (jumps like a show hunter---both in form and keeping a lovely steady tempo). I've already had several offers for him just because he has such a lovely temperment and brain as well as athletic ability (very good mover and jumper)....but I think he might just be a keeper!

So like all things....I guess it just depends...since there often is a lot more in a pedigree than just one line!

I do like the dam line....although it doesn't have many of my personal favorites for a sport horse (I love to see Hoist the Flag, What a Pleasure, In Reality, Buckpasser or Tom Rolfe among others ....harder to find but I also love to see My Babu, Herbager, Tourbillon, or Mahmoud on the first page somewhere...but I'm usually looking for an event horse).

If you like him...and like some of the foals he has producedv and think he would compliment your mare....I think that is more important then his pedigree given your mare.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **