The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle advice

Hi all-
    I recently got a new horse, and unfortunately my current saddle doesn't seem to be working well. I am having a saddle fitter out to see what we can do , but i am going to go ahead and start looking into something different. I currently ride in a bates close contact w/ a forward/long flap.
    Does anyone have saddle recommendations? I will for now, be using it for all three phases- novice/training, so a super jumping xc saddle may not be best, but i don't want an all purpose either...
    I have read some good things about the black country saddles on here, any more opinions on them good or bad, or recommendations for other types of saddles.
    Needs to be wool flocked and come in wider tree options
    Thanks!

from what I've learned from my own saddle fitting adventures, your choice in saddles is really going to depend on what kind of back/shape your horse has. Before when I was riding a TB, I had a stubben seigfried - that I loved! Sadly, my new horse had a much rounder barrel and the stubben didn't work at all. My saddle fitter tried on several of the brands that were at my barn (a big boarding barn, so lots to try) and picked out 3 brands that worked really well for his shape, then I rode in them and decided which I liked best. Now I ride in the Bates Event saddle and like it very much for what it's worth.

I love my Black Country! I have a monoflap saddle, custom for my horse and me. They have a variety of jump saddles to try though.