The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions - M. Toulouse Premia Saddle

I'm thinking of getting a second saddle. I currently have a HDR Pro Show Jumper and love it for flatting - holds me in well and I feel really secure in it. But I don't like how it feels when I jump in it. So, I'm looking around...

I love the look of the Marcel Toulouse Premia Saddle - anybody have any experience with it? Any thoughts on quality of the saddle, how it feels to the rider and/or what build of horse it best fits - or anything else you could think of - would be greatly appreciated. I read a couple of reviews for it saying that the stitching came out??? Anyone know about this?

I plan to use it on my TB mare, who is slab sided, prominent wither (but not shark-withered by any means), and short backed.

Also, feel free to recommend other saddles, but keep in mind that the Premia is right in my price range (can't go much above $1,000), and I would *much* prefer to buy new.

Let me know if you have any other questions that could help with your recommendations. TIA!!!

I just ordered an M. Toulouse Premia and a Legano. I've heard good things and that they run a little on the wide side. Having sat in a Premia a the Dover store, they have a nice forward flap and the leather seems excellent quality. Very "sticky"
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Thanks IrishWillow! I'm *hoping* to take a trip down to the Dover store soon so I can sit in a few saddles, but it's a long drive and I'm not entirely sure the group from our barn is going to go. I was thinking about doing their Test Ride program, but was hoping to get some opinions on this saddle and others before I took that step.

Thanks again! Anyone else have any input?

I sat in a Premia at Dover and LOVED it. I read alot of reviews on it and they were mixed. A lot of "needs oil very regularly" and "if it gets wet and you dont oil immediatly, the leather tears". Also heard that despite it being very comfy for the rider, it is not so good the horse.

Thankfully my horse is pretty easy-errs on the medium wide side, and I think the wide Premia would suit him fine, the channel has good width and the gullet looks good. Nothing I have ever put on him bridged.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I overall have not been impressed w/ M.Toulouse's fit on the horse. I needed a good-decent saddle on a budget $800-$1200, well it fit me- and that's about it. I needed it to fit a OTTB that's not sharkfinned- more WB type, but definitly not hard to fit. I went to that tack shop put it on trial for a day, traveled back (50 min. drive) put it in the horse (got a medium, saddle model was Claudine) was WAY too narrow, drove back returned the saddle, then tried a WIDE(saddle model was an Annice) - still too narrow! Drove back, again. The tack shop got a used Stubben a minute before I came back, that saddle fit and it's great (I got the Edelweiss CS in 31cm tree) I love it and will definitly not be in the market to buy a Marcel Toulouse. I sat in a Premia and to be honest I hated it, the leather felt like someone rubbed Elmer's glue all over it, to me it would be a good trail saddle or someone who only does pleasure saddle-for someone who wants to get in the saddle and never leave it. I don't see how someone could go over a fence in that saddle (it was hard enough getting out of it when it was on the stand).

Good Luck On Finding A Saddle! (:

Don't like them at all. My trainer got one(Legano) on trial because a bunch of people were shopping for saddles, and it didn't fit a single horse! It was very poorly balanced, and the leather was crap. I'd say look elsewhere.

I actually used to ride in an Ovation, and the quality of it was impressive. Fit a lot of horses too.

I got the used Legano in today... I'd actually say that it looks very nice. The leather is good for the "level" of saddle we're talking about, and it definitely runs on the wide end of things. They do look like they would need regular oiling, but I do that anyway. Fits my fairly wide 1/4th draft mare quite well. My saddles before were Bates, so I have tough standards. (On that note.. older Bates seem to be really nice, might be a good buy for your $1000. The newer Bates.. gack. They changed the leather and it feels like plastic.)

So far so good!
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

I just got a new Toulouse Anise. I really like it. Since it's calfskin leather you will have to be sure to take care of it. It's not going to be as durable as other leather. I like it, though. To me it's very comfortable.

I tried a Legano but ended up not liking it much. I LOVE my BO/trainer's daughter's Annice though.

I love my my daughter's M. Tolouse Premia with genesis and so do both of our horses. It fits my wide warmblood as well as her smaller Arabian x Appendix Quarter Horse. It also improves my riding position according to several people and including my instructor. The leather is soft, perhaps a bit too soft. But I wouldn't even change that about the saddle. All I need is a bigger size. I would definitely recommend this saddle if want a good quality adjustable saddle that will fit a variety of horses.

Two riders at my barn have Toulouse saddles with the Genesis system. I would say the saddles are between 1 and 2 years old. Both riders are currently going around and around with the company over their warranty because the Genesis system failed. I have heard on the dressage board that the newer saddles have a better system. Check around and read some other threads, that is if you were thinking of the adjustable tree saddles.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I hate them. I haven't seen one fit anything terribly well. Their quality is all over the place. I've seen some decently constructed ones and some really terribly constructed ones. Company seems to be of no help when things go wrong. If never buy one.

I would get a used French or a Steuben.

I have the Annice Pro and a Aachen, both with the Genisis tree, both purchased new this year if that makes a difference and I love them. My mare is a draft cross who is losing weight (a good thing!) and we started with both trees set the widest they would go. The saddles are very comfy to me and I had a saddle fitter come out (after the fact) and she was impressed with the fit on my mare of both, especially the Annice.

I trialed a new one with the Genesis system last summer. It sounded great on paper and seemed like it would work.

Every angle on that saddle was so wrong. Wouldn't go wide enough because even when it was cranked out, the angle of the panels was still too steep.

It was so sticky that I could barely post properly. It's like the leather is sticky for sticky's sake. Not sticky in a way that was actually helpful to my riding. I've also noticed their saddles seem quite big, with big panels. I'm short, so that bothered me. I want more leg on my horse.

Was it comfy? Sure. But it didn't ride well and I just really wasn't impressed. The Annice is their most popular saddle, so maybe that one gets more attention and is better made. Many of the models just look slapped together as an imitation of other high end saddles without the work on the inside that goes into making a saddle actually fit right.

Toulouse saddles make me think of the whole 'can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' thing. Though I'm sure there's a better saying, I just can't think of it. (When I asked my mom if she knew of a saying, she suggested 'it's like putting whipped cream on sausage' lol)

In that price range, I'd definitely be looking for a used older Pessoa, Harry Dabbs, Frank Baines, or maybe an older County, depending on the shape of the horse. As I'm sure you've read on this forum countless times, it really is wiser to buy better quality used that crap quality new. It's like driving a new car off the lot - it looses a lot of value as soon as you girth it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    Also, feel free to recommend other saddles, but keep in mind that the Premia is right in my price range (can't go much above $1,000), and I would *much* prefer to buy new.
    This is so funny to me - I hope to never have to break in a new saddle again! For $1,000 you can get a higher quality used saddle with good reviews (like a Beval, for example) and occasionally you can find a steal of a deal on a high-end brand for around your price range.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

The seat is really, really soft and squishy. Some people like that but I personally would prefer a harder, slightly flatter seat. On the positive side, I do feel really secure in the saddle in my seat. However I don't love where it puts my leg - it is a lot further forward than in other saddles which puts me in more of a chair seat.

I use it on a variety of horses - everything from a wide barreled app to various Thoroughbreds and WBs. It fits all of them okay but none of them great. I would definitely want a better fit if I owned any of them, but they are all sales horses so we just pad appropriately.

In your position I'd probably spend my money on a slightly higher end used saddle. You don't have to deal with breaking them in and you can usually find better quality saddles for the same price as a lesser quality new saddle. Also, get a saddle fitter out to do traces so you at least know what direction you're going in.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Maybe someone can pm ClassyRide & see what saddle she bought 3 years ago!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

LOL I only might notice the date if its the last post before mine. I don't get why people bump up old posts without stating a reason in their post!
    Last edited by Event4Life; May. 12, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

Doh!