The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Article about Kill Buyer in Maine

Good quote:

"“People are trying to get as many killed as possible before the mallet comes down,’’ said Dr. Nicholas Dodman, director of the animal behavior clinic at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. “This is not going to starving people. It’s going to the plates of gourmets in the Champs Elysees.’’

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...ses_come_home/
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I just love how a dealer making a living selling horses for meat....is trying to push the point that by killing horses they are saving them from so much suffering and neglect when in fact the vast majority of horses going to slaughter are fat and sleek and in good health, condition and young. I mean...how many do they honestly "save" from neglect to justify the entire money making scheme? I am sure a few are "saved" but I'm also fairly certain that most are not in any terrible danger of starvation or neglect at the time they are bought and shipped over the border. I wonder also if this lady is honest to those she "rescues" horses from in that she's planning to have them slaughtered?

I just wish for once those who profit from this business would quit the emotional ploy and propaganda that they are doing the horses a favor by making money on brokering them for meat. These people are doing it to make money....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I wonder also if this lady is honest to those she "rescues" horses from in that she's planning to have them slaughtered?

I just wish for once those who profit from this business would quit the emotional ploy and propaganda that they are doing the horses a favor by making money on brokering them for meat. These people are doing it to make money....nothing more.
    I didn't see where Hemphill (the kill buyer) was pretending that she was rescuing? They really only had a few quotes from her, and she seemed pretty straightforward that it was a business. I do see a difference between someone who picks up "free to good home" horses and lies about giving them a forever home, and a broker who is quite honest that if she can't re-train or sell a horse it may go to slaughter.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

While I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent yourself for any reason, why is it evil to make money at your job? Isn't that why ALL of us work, to make money? Sure, honest KBs will tell you it's for the money; it's what they do to make a living. Those who work in slaughter houses ALSO do it for the money. It's not because they're evil, soulless cretins who take pleasure from the deaths of other living things. They provide a service, just like anyone else who works. If you're going to be pissed off, be pissed off at the person who threw the animal away, not the person who picks it up and makes money with it.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Interesting, this is the dealer that a summer camp I taught at rented it's horses from. It was amazing how many of the horses we got that had "minor behavioral issues" often were absolutely fine after getting feet trimmed and teeth floated. We actually had a couple of students buy horses that they rode in camp. I guess those were the lucky ones.

I can just see it: "Oh, where did Roxy go? She was so much fun to ride last summer." "Sorry kiddo, she ended up as someone's 4-star dinner in Europe. Easy come, easy go; let that be a life lesson to you."
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    While I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent yourself for any reason, why is it evil to make money at your job? Isn't that why ALL of us work, to make money? Sure, honest KBs will tell you it's for the money; it's what they do to make a living. Those who work in slaughter houses ALSO do it for the money. It's not because they're evil, soulless cretins who take pleasure from the deaths of other living things. They provide a service, just like anyone else who works for a living. If you're going to be pissed off, be pissed off at the person who threw the animal away, not the person who picks it up and makes money with it.
    Exactly!

Why do we have to have yet another one of these inane threads
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

How many KB will go pick up "Free to good home " horses and tell the people that the horse is for "little Susie" then turn around and sell it to slaughter? That is deceptive.

Our local auction tries to hide the fact that horses are sold to slaughter by saying "to J-Town" when a slaughter buyer buys them. I think that is also deceptive. They should say "to Kill" or "to slaughter" . Individuals that sell their horses there should be able to know what the outcome is for the sale of their horses.

And I've never been able to figure out why people complain/get upset about a thread topic, open up a thread who's title tells you what it is going to be about, and then post on it. If you are tired of a certain topic, then don't read or post on that thread.
    Last edited by jetsmom; Mar. 8, 2010 at 01:15 PM.

I don't mind the kill buyers so much as long as they do business honestly and as far as i could tell Hemphills has always been pretty straight about what they do with their horses. And they do have a large sale barn and you can ride the horses there to try them out. They would MUCH rather sell them to a private party for $500 and up then send them over the border for $200-300. When I lived there I would go ride them for my friend who taught lessons and needed a school horse. We never did find one trustworthy enough for beginners (several fine for riding horses though) although we did miss out on quite a few that would probably have been nice if they hadn't sold the hour before! The stalls weren't the cleanest but I've seen far worse and the horses were fed well (back then at least) so probably even a skinny horse would be better off going there and getting to eat as much as it needed for a few weeks before the end.

The horses moved in and out fairly quickly though.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Sounds like a reasonable business to me. What, you'd prefer they throw the ones that don't work on the back forty until they starve? Or keep paying a few hundred to euth and dispose of the contaminated carcass until they go out of business?

It's a living. And yeah, horse got sold from camp last year and is gone. That's life. Doesn't matter if it's dead or not, it's still gone.

And people who just give their animals away and never follow up don't have a right to complain about what happens to them.

Our local kill buyer was a horseshoer, that the veterinarians would recommend when a horse was permanently lame or just too crazy, or traders would send him those that didn't work for riding horses.
    He would keep them in his pens, treated exactly like any other horse he had, that is very well.
    He hauled them when he had a load, that is six, in the same trailer his family's personal horses went to compete.

About once every month or two he would have a load, take them the 6 1/2 hours to the plant, they were processed right then and he would come back with a check for the owners and keep a commission for his gas and time and feed.
    Horses in those days brought easily $500+ at least, before the plants closed.

Other than the gut distaste everyone of us has thinking of slaughter, as far as the whole process, no one can find fault there.
    From collecting, keeping in nice pens and well fed and attended to and hauled over there, I don't think anyone would ever think to call that "abuse".

So many anti slaughter keep saying that abuse happens without slaughter also and that closing slaughter didn't keep abuse from happening.
    They are right, abuse happens any time, any place and yes, some of it I am sure happened in slaughter, as it does in the best barns also.
    We do know and it has been documented that, in many areas of the country, the abuse that happens anyway has deepened because of stopping slaugher.
    Just ask any rescue.

We know that abuse happens any place, including slaughter, but that slaughter also happens without abuse, as many attest to, that then the antis don't want to think, they are blind to anything but slaugher being evil.
    Then, when did being honest was considered important?
    Not so much, for what I keep seeing.

Bluey -

Proud anti slaughter here, but if it happened they way you describe as the norm, I would feel differently. With the current volume and now the distances, I can't imagine that is the norm now.
    Kudos to your shoer for his empathy.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Wow, talk about someone with a twisted mind:

At Hemphill’s farm, however, business is business, and she contends slaughter is sometimes the most merciful end for a lame or broken-down animal.

“What’s the best outcome for a horse?’’ Hemphill said. “That’s where I’m coming from.’’

Um, I'll tell you what the best outcome for a lame or broken-down animal, it's called euthanasia. Since when is putting a lame horse on a packed truck and crowding it in pens before slaughter "merciful"?! She wants a gold star and a pat on the back for her efforts?!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

While I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent yourself for any reason, why is it evil to make money at your job? Isn't that why ALL of us work, to make money? Sure, honest KBs will tell you it's for the money; it's what they do to make a living. Those who work in slaughter houses ALSO do it for the money. It's not because they're evil, soulless cretins who take pleasure from the deaths of other living things. They provide a service, just like anyone else who works. If you're going to be pissed off, be pissed off at the person who threw the animal away, not the person who picks it up and makes money with it.
    Well, if the person who "threw the animal away" sold it to a KB or whatever you want to call them, s/he is making money off the animal, too? Then what is the difference?

The idea that someone makes money off of a legal activity, yet bears no responsibility (moral or otherwise) is kind of laughable. AIG, anyone?
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Not to mention that horses that are unable to bear weight on all 4 legs are illegal to transport to slaughter.

What 'moral responsibility' does a KB have, except to care properly for the animal until it's either sold to an individual or a slaughter house? Seriously, how does that even compare to what happened with AIG? Oooh, let's throw Enron in there too, just because! White collar crime is comparable to what you want to consider as inherent abuse how? Just because not everyone thinks of horses as fuzzy, retarded children doesn't make them abusive or morally irresponsible.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

What 'moral responsibility' does a KB have, except to care properly for the animal until it's either sold to an individual or a slaughter house? Seriously, how does that even compare to what happened with AIG? Oooh, let's throw Enron in there too, just because! White collar crime is comparable to what you want to consider as inherent abuse, just because the KBs don't think warm and fuzzies about an animal? I don't even know how you MADE that leap of illogic.
    Uh, I didn't mention anything about abuse, you are projecting things that aren't there. I was just pointing out that your argument about why someone should be pissed at the seller and not the KB made no sense. Which you didn't address in your response. I didn't draw any comparisons between level of distaste for AIG and KB, just that AIG could make the same argument, "we were just doing our jobs".
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

hmm, i wonder if horses slaughtered in canada and mexico really wind up being consumed by europeans with more money.
    seems to me that with the thriving horse meat industry in europe, discriminating buyers would probably choose to eat horse meat which has been raised for that purpose, with no question about which drugs those animals had been exposed to here. my understanding of european raised horse meat is that the standards are much higher for drugs,etc.
    i bet the meat which comes from american horses probably goes to the poorer people who don't have the money to be as discretionary and just want to put meat on their table.
    kind of like us buying purdue instead of local and organic i think.
    either way, people are going to eat meat regardless of how you and i feel about it. imo our responsibility lies in humane and ethical treatment of all animals up until the very moment of death.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    hmm, i wonder if horses slaughtered in canada and mexico really wind up being consumed by europeans with more money.
    seems to me that with the thriving horse meat industry in europe, discriminating buyers would probably choose to eat horse meat which has been raised for that purpose, with no question about which drugs those animals had been exposed to here. my understanding of european raised horse meat is that the standards are much higher for drugs,etc.
    i bet the meat which comes from american horses probably goes to the poorer people who don't have the money to be as discretionary and just want to put meat on their table.
    kind of like us buying purdue instead of local and organic i think.
    either way, people are going to eat meat regardless of how you and i feel about it. imo our responsibility lies in humane and ethical treatment of all animals up until the very moment of death.
    The US horses were being marketed to the end user as "Free range" wild horses...not drug laden ex racehorses/showhorses.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Wow, talk about someone with a twisted mind:

At Hemphill’s farm, however, business is business, and she contends slaughter is sometimes the most merciful end for a lame or broken-down animal.

“What’s the best outcome for a horse?’’ Hemphill said. “That’s where I’m coming from.’’

Um, I'll tell you what the best outcome for a lame or broken-down animal, it's called euthanasia. Since when is putting a lame horse on a packed truck and crowding it in pens before slaughter "merciful"?! She wants a gold star and a pat on the back for her efforts?!
    Thanks Jenm...that's the point I was trying to make and failed to get across well. I realize what she's doing is legal but I get so sick of the emotional and ridiculous justifications like that.

Then she wants us to appreciate and admire the great service she is providing by doing this. It's sickening. If there was no money in it, you can be sure she'd not be doing any such thing.

facing monthly feeding bills of about $300 per horse

where on earth did they get this number? Horses here get fed as well as they possibly could be and it doesn't cost me $300.00 a month...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.