The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Porter Leg Protectors?

Who uses them? And why compared to a brushing boot such as woof or nunn finer's? What are the benefits from using one over the other (besides the fact that porters take a lot longer than regular boots)?

With the quality of boots on the market these days, the only reason I could see for using porters would be for a horse that is hard to fit boots to.

Not to mention, saratogas are extremely finicky to put on so you better be 100% confident in your wrapping ability.

We've used porters for many years, and yes, they are a little old school and require a confident wrapper to execute, but let me list some of the benefits:

They are customizable! You can cut them to your own horse's legs!

They are breathable, and thus better for tendons! More so than the neoprene/woof/nunn finner boots. The emergence of the T-zone boot has rivalled this, but Ive never been able to find a horse that wears the T-zone hind boots comfortably.

They dont hold water or get heavy on course! The porters are exceptionally light weight, and the added support of the saratoga bandage make them some of the best boots out there for xc.

All this said, yes, they are a hassle. Saratogas are hard to clean, and there are so many easy boots on the market, Porters seem a silly choice. But, if you have a sensitive horse with tendon issues running at prelim or above, it doesnt get much better than the porters!

My horse has an old scar on his rt front cannon that makes the leg an XL. The other front leg is a L.

So I use porters for my hard to fit TB. lol.

I do really really like the custom fit.

I have never had issues with them and I do think they look smashing. I use white saratogas and I add two stripes with blue electrical tape.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

My horse also has a few lumps and bumps on his front legs, and so needs some customized fitting. I sometimes use the t-foam boots, but they do hold water, so prefer the porter/saratoga combination for HTs.

Once you get used to them, they're not that hard to put on properly, just takes initial guidance and then repetition. The porters are super easy to clean, the Saratogas, not so much. But at least they dry quickly!
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Funny ... I agree with the benefit to Porters in being customizable BUT, for my own horse with a massive old bow and big knotty splints inside both fronts, found they were too stiff to fit well, particularly around the bowed leg. I used softer Woof boots for XC and gallops with him, and nothing the rest of the time b/c boots tend to rub all those lumpy, bumpy, funky spots. However, my Porters were second-hand so maybe the material was older and stiffer than when new, and that might have been the source of my problems?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Used porters/Saratoga's on my former gelding who traveled close behind. The snug fit widened him out, he never nicked himself with this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    Funny ... I agree with the benefit to Porters in being customizable BUT, for my own horse with a massive old bow and big knotty splints inside both fronts, found they were too stiff to fit well, particularly around the bowed leg. I used softer Woof boots for XC and gallops with him, and nothing the rest of the time b/c boots tend to rub all those lumpy, bumpy, funky spots. However, my Porters were second-hand so maybe the material was older and stiffer than when new, and that might have been the source of my problems?
    I can image this to be very true.

I think if the lump and bumps are on the front of the cannon you are good to do.
    But the hard tendon shell will not work so well with old bows.

good point!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I cut holes for the big bumps!
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Used Porters and Saratogas for years on my now-retired gelding because he was allergic to neoprene. At the time, there were no non-neoprene boot options available. While they were a pain to put on, they provided great protection, were light and breathable.