The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Could he need a chiro so soon?

Sometime early winter, Nov/Dec ish Freddy was adjusted by the chiro. It was a neck/head adj (I wasnt there but it was a big sound) and it made such a difference.

The last few times I road Freddy hes starting to do the same things he did before--carries head abit crooked, isnt responsive to the left, stuff like that. The horse skelaton thread made me think of this.

Could he need to be seen again? Ive never been to a barn that really used it a lot so Im not sure.

TIA.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I know a lot of horses that have monthly or bi-monthly chiro adjustments as maintenance and they are great. Even so, it sounds like your guy has gone some time since his last compared to horses that have it done regularly. Most horses will "tell" you when they need another adjustment, it sounds like he might need another

Totally agree. I had one gelding I had to get adjusted every month. My new chiro knows from her initial exam if a new OTTB I get in will need more than one to straighten out issues they got from the track. If they do, I just get an initial adjustment and another one done a couple of weeks later and they are usually good to go after that.

We usually do one, then another several weeks later (always with at least a week off after), then another several months later.

Depends on how much you ride, and how much you're asking of the horse. also, do you do massage in between?? If not, then i would advise you to do it. it will loosen the tight muscles and allow them to NOT pull the bones back out of alignment.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

One of my racehorses needed to be adjusted every 6 to 8 weeks while racing one summer. He had sacrum issues. The chiro worked 10x better than injecting the sacrum and it was cheaper. Once he was properly back into alignment, he was done about once every four months. It is not uncommon for an adjustment to last only a few weeks or a few months the first few times.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Its not un usual to need to be seen again then. Id hate to pay farm call + visit and not need it. Massagelady if anyones getting a massage its me! No I dont know of anyone that does it and I dont know how to do it. Freddy doesnt do anything hard (all flat work since hes young) and this winter its been fairly easy.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

The problem with chiropractic care without massage is that if the muscles are still tight, they can cause the misalignment to re-occur. I had this happen when I had myself treated by a chiro.

Ultimately for me, I found that deep tissue massage had the same benefits as chiro and lasted longer, probably because those muscles weren't snapping everything back.

As for my horses, I've had one good experience with chiro where a practitioner fixed a specific problem (took 2 adjustments), one horrific and a few where I saw no difference. My horses have all responded very well to both massage and acupuncture, so generally I start with massage and see if it works.

I know it's hard to find all the right people. What I discovered is that my vet (who does acupuncture) also could recommend a number of good stretches and my saddle fitter, who also does body work, showed me some techniques. Both of them let me videotape them when they worked on my horse so I could remember what they did and also corrected me when I copied them. It's not the same as having a pro there all the time, but it helps.

In terms of learning some techniques yourself, I've found that Jim Masterson's CD (www.mastersonmethod.com) is very clear and helpful. He shows you exactly what to do and what to expect. His techniques are similar to those used by my saddle fitter so I was able to review what I was doing with Gary.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.