The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Liquid Fenbendazole - Did your Horse eat feed Ok or Refuse Feed?

Hi all,

I've been reading for a few months and appreciate all the great tips.

We have not done the Power Pac wormers for a few years and thanks to this board, we will be purchasing either the cattle tubes or the liquid drench for our 3 horses.

The liquid is cheaper of course, but if our horses refuse their feed, it will be a waste.

We have one very picky horse (due to hiding crushed up cushings meds for years), so unless the vast majority have had no problems with the palatability of the liquid, we will probably pay a bit more and get the tubes.

Please post whether your horses have eaten their feed with the liquid fen (we will be using Triple Crown Senior) or if they refused it due to taste/smell.

Thanks!
    Joyce

Adding a lot of powdered sugar helped get my old standardbreds to eat it but my lusitano still won't touch it. I fear he hasn't been getting the whole dose because, despite making it thicker it's still hard to get it all in my oral syringe plus he manages to always have a wad of hay stuffed in the back of his mouth waiting for just such an occasion. When they say liquid it's really a suspension so it's kind of thick-milky colored. Make sure you shake it well.

My boys ate it up just fine. But then, both of them will eat nearly anything. The one guy was on TC Senior, the other on TC Lite. No issues with either of them.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I hide everything in beet pulp. It is strongly enough flavoured/smelling that no one ever refuses beep.

I also will use an extra scoop of the vits/mins I use, as they are flavoured with anise and again, strongly smelling/tasting and also salty (yes, I've tasted!) and seem to help 'hide' things.

When I'm feeding paste wormer in feed, I mix the paste wormer with 2 scoops of vits/mins on a paper plate. Becomes a crumbly sort of deal. THEN I add that to the beep.

I haven't used liquid safeguard, but have used paste, in a DD, with the above method, and no one knew any better.

I *suspect* the liquid is NOT flavoured much, if at all, as we use a drench gun with cattle. Just extrapolating... Uckele makes a sugar free flavour additive that might be perfect. SF Maple Syrup works wonders, as does a bit of organic BLACK STRAP molasses. (vs. cheap cooking molasses which is basically karo syrup) Though for the non-IR/EPSM/Matabolic etc., Karo Syrup is handy too.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Applesauce is your friend!!!

Our guys won't touch the liquid but like the alfalfa pelleted fenbendazole, mixed in their grain.

I used the goat liquid wormer. My 3 ate it just fine, even my SUPER picky TB mare. If all else fails, beet pulp, alfalfa cubes, or molasses works great.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Thank you everyone! I ordered the liquid tonight and will use your tips to conceal the taste.

Joyce

myblackmorgan2 Guest

Default re: liquid goat fenbendazole

Just saw the post about using liquid goat wormer instead of the expensive Power Pack. But I just did some calculations and, if I did this right, looks like the horse dosage is 110mg/kg versus 5 mg/kg for goats. So it would take so much of the stuff that it wouldn't serve the purpose of being economical.

This is based on the Power Pack dose of 57g/1100 lb. per tube.

Comments?

I think it depends on how many horses you're doing. It's 4.6ml/100lbs so x 1,000 lbs say and it's 46 ml/day x 5 days so roughly you need 250ml for one thousand pound horse for a treatment.

I have three horses so I bought the 1,000ml bottle at $120 (with shipping) from Jeffers but after I googled jeffers + coupon I found a $5 discount code so I only paid $115 for a 3 horse supply.

Had I gotten power packs for all of them it would have been something like $180. So yes it saved me some money.