The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn washing machine - recommendations?

I am shopping for a washer for my barn. It's just me and my three horses, but I am tired of cleaning hair out of my washer - plus it's not good for the septic. (The barn washer water could just be routed to our flower garden next to the barn.)

I do not want to buy a front loader. Too $$.

I found a 4.6 cu top load that does not have an agitator. There are two schools of thought on that - friend says it will be better for blankets without agitator both due to more space inside drum, and also that straps will not get tangled around it. Salesperson at Sears today said an agitator would help get the blankets cleaner.

I can see both points - experience??? Suggestions?

No experience with the top loaders without an agitator but that style would
    open up a lot of room for a blanket. It may take an extra wash or two to get
    a dirty blanket clean???? We have a front loader now (loff it) but it's not
    big enough for my size 82 and 84 blankets. One will fit but doesn't get very clean so it's off to the laundromat with the really big front loader--yes, we have
    one that allow's horse clothes.

Think the top loader w/o agitator will also do a nicer job on saddle pads, etc...
    my front loader does without twisting them around.

I know you wrote you didn't want a front load because of cost but please do check them out more thoroughly. I wouldn't trade my Whirlpool Duet for anything.

Seriously, I'm sure you can find a new or slightly used front load for not a whole lot more than a new top load.

You will not be sorry with a front load. I do my heavyweight Rambo's in my Duet and they come out looking brand new!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

If I were to get a barn only washing machine...I'd just keep getting used ones from the newspaper/whatever. Use it until it dies due to it's job being tough...scrap it and go get another new one.
    I see them in the classifieds and on CL here all the time for next to nothing...$50, $75...newer ones about $100. I'd figure if a $100 washer lasted me a couple/three years and then died...well, it owes me nothing anyways.
    And I wouldn't feel so bad as I would for killing a new washing machine.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

All the opinions/reviews I read when researching new washers (but not for horses) were negative about the non-agitator. They don't get clothes as clean. I think one of the selling points was that it was more eco friendly as well because it used less water. I got an old fashioned top load with DIALS not computerized console. Apparently the computerized consoles are the part that fails most often (and did on my old washer). I got a Kenmore/Armada mostly because Sears installs it (no plumber charging half of the cost the machine to install it) and for the warrantee (spelling it wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    If I were to get a barn only washing machine...I'd just keep getting used ones from the newspaper/whatever. Use it until it dies due to it's job being tough...scrap it and go get another new one.
    I see them in the classifieds and on CL here all the time for next to nothing...$50, $75...newer ones about $100. I'd figure if a $100 washer lasted me a couple/three years and then died...well, it owes me nothing anyways.
    And I wouldn't feel so bad as I would for killing a new washing machine.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest. Just get a used one for the barn, and save yourself some money. Cause a washer, in regular use in the barn, is really not going to have a great life span, so who cares if it was new when it arrived or not?

Anyone ever find used laundromat washers for sale? One barn I worked at had one, they said they found a laundromat updating their washers and they bought it for not too expensive. Might be worth some calls...
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I was wondering if laundromats did that... I'd love to get my hands on a used front load one from there!
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Another vote for used! And hotels and motels use big front loaders too - I worked at a fancy shmancy resort for a while and the house contractor (yes, really, they had five or six places) used to be getting rid of perfectly good room refrigerators and microwaves, and about every five years the laundry would get new stuff too.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I've already told DH that when we move, our current craptastic washing machine will NOT be coming with us.

I would love, love, LOVE to find a used, commercial front load washing machine for the nasty dog towels, filthy horse blankets, and even king-size comforters/quilts that my regular washer just cannot handle.

As often as my current washing machine wraps clothing around the agitator now (it loves to pull the strings out of my hoodies), there's no way I'd wash a horse blanket in there. I've washed my fleece coolers in there with the straps rubber-banded up so they can't get wrapped around the agitator, but that's all I'd ever do.

I'd definitely be doing some research into the commercial end and then see what you can find used.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Anyone ever find used laundromat washers for sale? One barn I worked at had one, they said they found a laundromat updating their washers and they bought it for not too expensive. Might be worth some calls...
    YES!!!!

It is the best thing that ever happened to my horse blankets! I found a used commercial Maytag front load that used a regular power plug (not a 220V). I found it on Craig's List. But there are a bunch of coin laundry management sites you can google too.

I found the manuals on line for free. But we had to saw open the access panel in order to reprogram it. I had the keys, but the service panel was sort of frozen in place, so it had to go. Plus it was a pain to feed it the same 12 quarters for every load!

I made the cycles longer, did an automatic pre-rinse and added an extra rinse cycle as well. almost all my blankets come clean the first time through, which never happened on a regular top load. Plus, the front-load is much kinder on the linings, buckles and straps.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Now that's really, really smart!

I have a top loading Maytag 'bravos, and it sometimes takes two wash cycles to clean horse blankets. I wash them on the "bulky" setting.

Found one for $150 from a local guy who gets nonworking machines, repairs and resells them. Is a Maytag, large capacity with stainless drum. I don't have any heavyweight blankets - mostly lightweight (no fill) turnout sheets and fleece sheets since it doesn't get that cold here. (Well, except for THIS year!!)

Guy gives a 30-day warranty so plan to use the heck out of it in those first 30 days!

If there is a Sears outlet store near you that is the place to find INCREDIBLE bargains. They have everything from stoves to TV's and everything in between. And the same warranties too. They also had some commercial front loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Poniesofmydreams View Post
    If there is a Sears outlet store near you that is the place to find INCREDIBLE bargains. They have everything from stoves to TV's and everything in between. And the same warranties too. They also had some commercial front loaders.
    I checked there, also stuff in their scratch and dent warehouse. About $400 is the cheapest I could find a large capacity washer 'new'... so the $150 used it is!

LLDM - I'm so jealous!!!

My horses just love love LOVE to roll is the dirtiest places and I hate touching them sometimes. It's is a million miles to the nearest coin laundry place that will take horse blankets. The professional blanket cleaners are expensive here! My washer is too small to take the heavy and medium blankets so I have to wait until the weather is warm enough to hand wash them in a water trough and let them hand on the fence for days to dry. UGH!!! I am not looking forward to it.

Now I'm thinking of ways to build a little outdoor washer shed to keep a horse only washer out of the elements. We don't have a proper barn so it would have to sit out behind the house on the patio. Weird, I know...but we rarely have visitors way out here anyway.
    "But if you buy them as ponies aren't they cheaper?" - Favorite non-horse person quote.

Love my Whirlpool Duet! It's the 4th one I've had. It was a deal breaker for every farm we've sold. The moment a buyer saw a nice, big, front load washer in the barn they had to have it. (Hey, if they want to pay 30 years interest on a washing machine, go for it!)

I've gotten them from the local "Scratch N Dent" places and floor samples at Loews. Like I care if a barn washer had a ding in it?

My current one fits my 84" and 87" Mid weight Rambo Wugs. A good soak cycle loosens the dirt, then a regular wash and extra rinse gets them really clean.

The money I save washing my own blankets, saddle pads, towels, dog beds, etc, more than makes up for the initial cost.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Hunter_Aside View Post
    LLDM - I'm so jealous!!!
    Hey, if you think you could make it work, the guy may still have one. PM me if you want his info. I still have it around here somewhere.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by baysngreys View Post
    Love my Whirlpool Duet! It's the 4th one I've had. It was a deal breaker for every farm we've sold. The moment a buyer saw a nice, big, front load washer in the barn they had to have it. (Hey, if they want to pay 30 years interest on a washing machine, go for it!)
    Hey, I'm hoping my Incinolet toilet in the barn will be the deal breaker when I put my place on the market. Heck, when that time comes, I might throw my Duet in the barn as well!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!