The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FEI shifts from eventing 'safety' to 'risk management'

The FEI used to have a section of their website devoted to 'eventing safety'. On their quasi-new and still very not au courant website, the FEI is now using the term 'Risk Management

And this transition is defined for us:

The progression of the Safety concept in Eventing to Eventing Risk Management has allow for a clearer more systematic approach to the discipline together with a (sic) understandable vision statement. Representatives of NF/NSOs demonstrated the greatly heightened awareness of risk management shown over the last two years and also the continually evolving nature of Eventing. A Risk management culture can now be identified.
    Thoughts on this, anyone?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    The FEI used to have a section of their website devoted to 'eventing safety'. On their quasi-new and still very not au courant website, the FEI is now using the term 'Risk Management

I like ham.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I like ham.
    And it's better to be in ham's way than in harm's way.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Indeed. You can chew your way through a big pile of ham but you can't do much when faced with a big pile of harm.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I wrote a couple of papers like that back when I was in college: they took a long time to say absolutely nothing.

The only difference was that my papers were grammatically correct, so I could get away with the ploy. Also, I was a student, not an international sport-governing organization...
    Proud member of the EDRF

I was particularly taken with the phrase "spreading the vision..." - anyone care to explain "the vision"? WHOSE vision of eventing and who defined that vision?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I like ham.

I finally finished reading through all of the presentations. All I can say is that this is the first time I have ever seen a horse organization actually do things like you see in industry etc. when it comes to safety/risk management. I commend them in this.

Did you see the new Reiterprotektor vest that was presented in the sessions!? VERY cool AND it protects against a horse landing on you in a rotation. It is much lighter and compact than the EXO and even more protective than a P2.

They have done their work in designing a vest that dissipates the crash energy (up to 8 tonnes in force).

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Did you see the new Reiterprotektor vest that was presented in the sessions!? VERY cool AND it protects against a horse landing on you in a rotation. It is much lighter and compact than the EXO and even more protective than a P2.

They have done their work in designing a vest that dissipates the crash energy (up to 8 tonnes in force).
    This one.

The design is very appealing. The coverage area seemed a little small, however, in the photos on the model. I hope this was just a fit issue.

Sooo... how do we find out the specs for purchasing this new vest? I have done a quick search, and found the doctor's website, but no commercial sites for it.

Think I will fire off a quick email.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

The doctor's website -- Dr. Peter Panzenböck -- doesn't have any info on the Reiterprotektor. It's actually a bit strange, featuring sections like 'celebrity photo gallery' and a video of Sigfried & Roy.

There's some contact info here.

Some elaboration, from later on in the report, which can be viewed in its entirety at http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...19.02.2010.pdf. I haven't read the report thoroughly, but it looks very interesting, and **seems** to have **some** data regarding concepts that we have been discussing anecdotally. I do note that there apparently was no U.S.A. rep. at this meeting, which is interesting in and of itself. I don't know if U.S. data were included.

The report states in discussing goals for the next 5 years that "[t]he goal is not to achieve zero falls but an acceptable and accepted level of risk." There is then a table that shows the number of falls (compared to number of starters) over the last 5 years, and the aspiration for the next 5 years, which is to reduce the proportion of falls by 20% at 4* and by 10% at 1*-3*. "Falls" is defined as "unseated riders and horse falls and within horse falls - rotational falls."

Very interesting to me that 1 out of every 6 starters at 4* had a fall from 2004 to 2008, and the goal is to reduce it to 1 out of 8 over the next 5 years. Does not seem like a very lofty aspiration to me. At 1*, 1 out of 23 starters had a fall from 04 to 08, and the goal is to reduce it to 1 out of 26. Again, it does not seem like the FEI is seeking a lot of improvement over the course of five years.

The data for horse falls are a little better -- e.g., 1/16 at 4* for 2004-2008, with a goal of 1/21 over the next 5 years. But that is still at least 1-2 horse falls at each competition -- way too high, in my view.

In particular, it is somewhat disconcerting that a total fall ratio of 1/8 and horse fall ratio of 1/21 at 4* -- the most visible part of the sport to the outside world -- would be regarded as "acceptable," particularly if there is no effort to focus on and more dramatically reduce the incidence of rotational falls and other more catastrophic falls. I would worry, for example, if the total number of falls were to be reduced according to the goals, but the number of rotational and catastrophic falls stayed the same, with the result that the FEI declared victory by hitting its "benchmark" of "acceptable" number of falls.

Last edited by JAM; Mar. 8, 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Add info.