The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Thumbs up I rode today!

I know, not a novel concept for folks on a horse forum, but for me, it was a great day.

I have not ridden in probably a year, with two retired show horses, and my dearly departed Munchkin, who was the last horse I rode, and then spend the last year caring for him after colic surgery, and then got busy with work (and summer heat), and then his kidney failure.

At any rate, I have a mare here on trial, and it finally warmed up enough to ride. It felt so good, and she was really good - even if she does need some fine tuning.

What is interesting is the mare was not really for sale, it just turned out that I had asked a friend to keep an ear out for any horses for sale that might be what I was looking for, and he mentioned it to the mare's owner, and he decided to sell her. Also, I was not looking for a mare, but I really like her.

I can't wait to ride tomorrow!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

It does feel good to be back in the saddle and these first few spring days are so wonderful to do that.

Glad that you had such a good ride.

So glad you rode the mare today and liked her ~ you deserve some no ! a whole lot of Happy !!! Enjoy your Sunday ride.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Thanks! I'll ride right after I get back from bringing her current owner a check and the transfer papers! Looks like I might just have a new horse.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Default NICE !

Congratulations !!! So you found what you were looking for when you were not looking for it ~ right? Please post your happy details about your new mare after tomorrow. ~ So very nice to again ~ hear your energy and enthusiasm and spirit and general "HAPPY" !!! ~ Enjoy ~ Jingles for your new chapter.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

I am so jealous!!!! Seems like years since I have ridden...... with Willie's cancer/surgeries/founder/now front right lameness problem, starting last August, he has been out of commission since. We were supposed to talk about putting him back under saddle on March 24th, but now, who knows? I rode my DH's QH a couple times, and then a school horse of my instructor's three times, but that is it since before Dec. 18th when the blizzards, rains, cold, winds, more snow, cold, ice, etc hit. At close to 60, I don't even know if I'll remember how to ride if and when I get the chance again.
    So enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Well, I was sort of looking for a been-there-done-that WP QH gelding, no more greenies for me at my age. Unfortunately my bank account does not have enough in it to really afford the ones that I saw while internet shopping. So, I put out the word to a few trusted friends in town, that have a good eye for horses.

They pointed me to this lovely liver-chestnut ranch and race bred mare, she is 6, and was trained by one of the best hands in Florida, and has been trail ridden ever since. She is sweet, sensible, smart, sound and sane. Here are a few pictures that I took the other day:

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid23016161

I don't know if she will make it to the show pen or not, right now I'm just happy to have a horse that I can ride, and that is fun. I'm really looking forward to daylight savings time now!

Quote Originally Posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
    At close to 60, I don't even know if I'll remember how to ride if and when I get the chance again.
    Oh, I feel your pain! It's tough running a hospice for horses isn't it?

Don't worry, you won't forget, I thought I would be rusty too, but I was pleasantly surprised that I have not lost my touch!

Good for you! I'm dying to ride but circumstances aren't allowing it right now. Things may be looking up soon, though.

She looks like a kind, sensible soul.
    Those kinds of horses are, well, priceless.

I completely understand your joy, MM. Today I SAW my horses for the first time since Christmas (crappy weather). They were so happy to see me, my mare gave a huge, deep nicker I only groomed them, but they thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I did. I'm so happy spring is almost here and daylight savings will increase my ability to visit after work. I can't wait for the first ride of the year!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

MM, she is adorable! I am really happy for you. Be sure to give us regular updates on your adventures together.

I am also gladdened to read eventgroupie2's comment about the 'almost 60' thing, and MM's reassurance. I have not ridden since early Autumn, then had heart surgery at the beginning of the year. I hope to be able to ride by Summer. I am not so much worried about do I still know how to ride, am mostly interested in being sure I am on a really steady eddie/steady edna type horse for fear of a fall cracking my sternum back open. Luckily, since I am currently horseless, some friends have offered me some very mellow critters to ride when I am ready. (I am not a spring chicken either....)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

sdlbredfan, I hope you get to enjoy being back in the saddle on some mellow horses as soon as you are able, and no shame in worrying about injuries after what you have been through. And just to let you know, I am on the wrong side of 50 myself.

dizzywriter, I hope you too get to ride asap. I have been smiling to myself all afternoon and evening.

Bluey, so far she does seem to be kind and sensible. She has a few minor holes, she is a pig in her stall, and she was not great about taking the bit during bridling - she didn't fight it, just sort of clenched her teeth and would not open up, no matter how much thumb wiggling I did (granted, I probably didn't do a great job with the thumb, as I have never had to do that before), but finally agreed to it after I just held it against her front teeth for a few minutes.

But so far she is not mareish at all, and stood there very patiently as I was adjusting all the tack to fit her. And at the end of our ride, my neighbor came over with her GSD and we chatted over the fence for at good 15 minutes, and after the mare said her hellos, she stood there quietly and took a nap.

Talking

Congratulations!
    I am very happy for you. It is great that she is so young, so kind and well trained. She sounds like she has a good mind. I wish you many years of soundness for both of you.

Happy Spring!

Ohmigosh, talk about priceless! That 'and after the mare said her hellos, she stood there quietly and took a nap' is quite a marvelous thing! (Thanks MM for the encouraging words for me, too.)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

She looks lovely!!!! And congrats for getting back in the saddle. I'm a believer in that we're never too old for this sport (at age 55, I'm hoping I have a good 20+ years left in me for riding; to be on the safe side, I've begun adding miniature horses to my herd so I can always have equines of some kind around me).

Anyway, can't wait to hear how your new partnership goes. I'm really, really, really happy for you.

Liz
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yay for riding! I rode today for the first time in 7 months...the longest I've been without riding since I started. It was AWESOME. We go to this place where you can hack on the beach. This will be the third time I've been, and the lady always remembers which horses we liked and gives us either the same or similar horses. I've ridden the same horse the past 2 times now, and he's awesome. It felt so good to be riding again!!! Now need to work out how I can afford it for the summer...
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

It's official, I paid the seller, and the transfer papers are sitting on my desk, all signed and ready to be mailed to AQHA. If any of you are pedigree readers (I know I am, just for fun), I put her information on all breed:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/adobe+summer

She was bred and raised on the 6666 Ranch in Texas. The seller told me this morning that his 12 year old granddaughter used to go out with just a lead rope, snap it onto her halter, and shimmy up on her bareback and go ride around the paddock. He said the only reason he is selling her is that he needs something a little bit taller and stouter than she is, because he likes to vacation on the 6666 Ranch and go do cattle roundups with them, and she was not big enough for that.

Today I will have my daughter get up and ride too.

Congrats! She has a lovely kind face.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Hurrah! (insert clapping icon here!) We are happy that you found a nice horse to call your own again! We had a great ride today too, so we are sharing in your happiness! Congratulations!