The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Depo-Provera for mare birth control

Another almost-only-in-Haiti question where I hope other people may have some experience. I'm trying to reach our vet of course, but I'm interested in stories from the field as well.

Given the lousy fences and the need to tie out for grazing around here, a local mare owner wants his mare on birth control as soon as she weans her current foal. She is kept confined at night and in controlled grazing in common areas during the day. However, it's not uncommon for local stallions to get loose and go roaming, and get to the mares in the common grazing areas. What the local vet technicians use on mares is Depo Provera for people.

I read that Depo is not very reliable in mares - has anyone tried it for mare birth control and not just to regulate mareish-ness? Hopefully you never had reason to need it to work! but can anyone give us info about whether this has worked when needed?

PS. got hold of the vet - he wouldn't want to keep her on Depo for more than 2-3 shots in a series, but says having the foal nurse as long as possible plus a couple rounds might work for this year. Long term usage is the question. Also, at our lower latitude our day length changes less than day length in the US, so the high risk season might be longer.
    Last edited by HorsesinHaiti; Mar. 6, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: coherence!

You might get more answers to this in the breeding forum. I'm interested to see what the answers are though.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    You might get more answers to this in the breeding forum. I'm interested to see what the answers are though.
    I thought about that. The breeders are usually trying to get mares INTO season, and one is worried about buying a broodmare prospect that has recently had birth control shots. Breeders usually have good physical setups for keeping the Romeo's away from their broodies and thus don't have much need for fallback birth control.

I thought the people who would most often run into situations like ours might be the horsepackers/endurance folk who camp and tie out their horses? Who else in the 'modernized' world has to worry about loose stallions getting at their mares, to the point that birth control would be worth the risk?

Would it be less of an ordeal to place a marble in the mare's uterus?
    Click here before you buy.

Really good question!

The caribbean horses I have seen have been kept out of foal by very poor nutrition- not the beat idea!

PZP is what they use on the feral mustang mares in Western Colorado.
    Here's the link for the article about it:
    http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/WR07134

Now, I have no idea how to buy it, but, esp. since you may have more than 1 mare owner interested in it given the situation, it'd be worth looking into!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Would it be less of an ordeal to place a marble in the mare's uterus?
    I asked about marbles, surprisingly they don't seem to have been introduced here yet. That is the kind of low cost, low-tech KISS solution we generally look for around here. He will be looking into marbles when he gets a chance to breathe, which won't be for a while yet.

FP, thanks for the link. I will look into it.

This is really interesting. I wonder if you (or your vet) could get in touch with a zoo veterinarian - they often have a lot of experience of tightly controlling when animals go into season and when they want them to breed. I know that the Bronx Zoo has a huge herd of P-Horses, so they might have some good ideas.

1 members found this post helpful.