The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Default Attractive helmets?

Sorry if this information I am asking for has already been discussed in the helmet thread.

As I watched the Winter Olympics, I admired some of the helmets being worn in the events for their low profile. I am considering looking at other sports for a low profile helmet for riding, as I think the low profile is simply more attractive. Are there any available for us that are super close to the head and still safe? I have helmets, and use them, but they are frequently just too damned huge!

I really like my Charles Owen Hamptons. I've got one in brown and black. I'm planning to get one in navy this spring. They are super low profile in my opinion and don't make my roundish face look painfully fatter with a wide profile.
    Carli
    dressage. n, the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect.

Helmets are designed and tested to protect for the accidents incurred in particular sports.

A bike helmet, for example, is not designed for the type of impacts sustained from skiing or riding. Bike helmets are drop tested against a flat surface to simulate pavement. Riding helmets are drop tested against a sharper metal anvil thing to simulate a shod hoof or edge of a jump standard, and from a higher height.

Stick with sport-specific gear.

Have you seen the new helmets that Ovation has just started producing? I saw one at the tack store the other day and found it really attractive, plus it seems lightweight and well ventilated. Kind of reminded me of some of the helmets I saw the aerial skiers wearing at the Olympics!

Right now, I think all helmets are beautiful.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I used to have a charles owen hampton. I assumed i'd buy another but tried on a bunch just to see how they looked/fit. I ended up with a velvet troxel--the grand prix?....very low profile. does not look mushroomy like the charles owen. fits wonderfully.

i school in a tipperary. ugly but way comfy and light, ventilated.

I bought one in Germany, blanking on the brand right now but it is sooooo comfortable I no longer hate wearing a helmet (which I do religiously!). It is fairly attractiove as well and was affordable. Now if I could just figure out a way to get another one without going back to Germany, lol.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

I foolishly went to Dover and tried on helmets recently (foolish because my current helmet is still perfectly fine).

I love the Charles Owen GR8 Helmet in blue and gray.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=300425331

But I am also strangely drawn to the very low profile skull caps. First i was looking at them for driving horses and then...well, I can see myself really liking them to ride. I always wear sun glasses when I ride and I don't like a visor. I think they are comfi, cool looking and very low profile. I like this one, because the straps are lined with leather:
    Here it is in black:

There are lots cheaper skull caps but for some reason, the more expensive ones speak to me (sigh).
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Right now, I think all helmets are beautiful.
    I'm with you. I never did quite understand the "they're unattractive" argument. I can understand the "they're uncomfortable, hot, they fit poorly arguments" I don't agree but I get it.

Personally I don't think there is a helmet out there that could be uglier than someone else having to feed me, wash me, or wipe my butt for me.

Land of the Maple Leaf & Tim Horton's Coffee

On a budget, I like Troxel helmets - lots of styles, colors, and adjustable fit.
    http://www.troxelhelmets.com/

If money were no object, I'd go with a custom Luxury Antares.
    http://www.antares-sellier.com/en/casque/helmets-2.html
    “Your appearance should reflect the care you take in every aspect of your horsemanship... feeding, grooming... everything you do, from the barn to the show ring. Class, people, class…" George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Carli View Post
    I really like my Charles Owen Hamptons. I've got one in brown and black. I'm planning to get one in navy this spring. They are super low profile in my opinion and don't make my roundish face look painfully fatter with a wide profile.
    I bought one of these in black today and am really happy with it too. It is comfortable, fit well, didn't obscure my vision while riding like some of the really huge helmets, and I thought it looked pretty cute as well. It has a traditional look to it that I like and is fairly flattering. Didn't know it comes in *colors*!!

I have an IRH ATH SSV in black. I love it. It fits well and is very comfy. It also doesn't fall down over my eyes like my CO skull did. It's not hot either, as the vent in the top releases a lot of heat.

It's really very becoming, and it comes in round and oval.

I love my Hampton! I always look silly in helmets, except GPAs which are waaaaay too expensive, but the Hampton looks really good IMO!

I have both the CO GR8 (actually the JR8 - lucky I have a small head) in the black/blue style, and the IRH elite for schooling and I love both of them. They are both VERY comfortable (except that the CO is HOT - I wear that one for shows and in the winter). I wore my friend's tipperary the other day and LOVED LOVED LOVED it for schooling - it was the lightest, most comfortable helmet I'd ever worn! I'm sure it looked a little weird, but then so does my bike helmet and I don't look in the mirror anyway! Now if I can just get my daughter to get one - she has a troxel but I like the back of the head protection and the lightness of the Tipperary.

I love the way the Hampton looks - I think it's the most classic, attractive helmet out there, but it's too hot for Florida.

It's funny - I don't have a lot of money but that's something I've obviously budgeted for!

I'm not sure if they are available in the US, but I like the Casco helmets (http://www.casco-helme.de/en/produkt...category_id=32).
    At the moment I have the Casco Mistrall - nice and small (my head is not very round), very comfortable, fits perfect and not too expensive.

Looking good might not be a "must have", but if there's a choice between two good fitting and safe helmets, I surely take the one looking better. After all, I'm a woman.

I really like my GPA but I've been wearing one for years having been in hunterland most of my life. ;-) The GPA's and the Charles Owens seem to be the most substantial and attractive.

https://www4042.ssldomain.com/equusn...idProduct=3028

I just order this in navy - I guess I wouldn't necessarily so "attractive". To be honest, I am not a helmet wearer. I have recently sold my farm and moved and am boarding at a stable where helmets are required. I have a GPA in Navy - which I really do think is a great looking helmet, but it is a tad too big (fine for the winter as I wear a head band with it) but would be too hot in the summer.

So I sprung for the evolution - at least - after spending that amount of $$$$ I'll wear it. Its as ventilated as it can be and the lining is removable and washable and replacable

Default Just bought a new helmet.

Courtney King-Dye's accident really got me thinking... I am an FEI dressage rider who never wears a helmet unless I get on a horse that I think may dump me. Then, I put on this flimsy turtleshell cheapo helmet that feels like a bicycle helmet. I never wear a helmet on my own FEI horse. Well, I bought a new helmet yesterday and plan to wear it everytime I get on a horse for schooling and competing. I do reserve the right to wear my top hat in the arena whe appropriate though.
    I have a young horse that will be started this year also. I wanted something that was well made, and attractive. I also can afford only one helmet so wanted something to school in that is nice enough to wear when I show my young horse in recognized dressage shows. I bought a Charles Owens Wellington Classic and it actually looks good on me. (I know, I'm not a particularly vain person, but have a hat-hair thing, and look good in a top hat, but not a helmet).

I love this helmet. It is safe, fits like a glove and will look great schooling or in the competition arena. It is velvet with a flesh colored leather harness. I went to Bit of Britain as they are local. They cater to eventers, so I knew that I would get expert help from a qualified person. BOB also has a special where you get a free $39.95 hat case with the purchase of any Charles Owens helmet. The helmet was $239.99, but well worth the price and certainly not the most expensive helmet out there!

If there is anything positive that comes of Courtney's accident (and I know and pray that she will make a full recovery!) it is that her accident made me think long and hard and go buy a good helmet and WEAR it. I hope that there are others out there who, like me, may be spared a head injury because they too were moved to buy/wear a helmet now. That said, I in no way judge someone who doesn't choose to wear one.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I'm with you. I never did quite understand the "they're unattractive" argument. I can understand the "they're uncomfortable, hot, they fit poorly arguments" I don't agree but I get it.

Personally I don't think there is a helmet out there that could be uglier than someone else having to feed me, wash me, or wipe my butt for me.
    My schooling helmet makes me look like a mushroom, but your point is well taken.

The choice is helmet or ICU?

Still if I do not have to look like a mushroom....

Since I don't look at myself in a mirror when I ride, I really don't care so much what I look like. I want it to be safe, to fit, and to be comfortable. And the brand really depends on the shape of your head - some are made to fit oval shaped heads, others to fit rounder heads. I went with the Troxel Sierra. It's very comfortable on my oval shaped head, lightweight, cool, and not very expensive ($100). And I've actually had complements on the 'look'.