The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whats a fair trade for this?

My schedule is getting busier and busier and one of my adult students just recently told me she quit her job, and laughingly asked if she could work off her lessons.

At the time, I laughingly said no way, but now I'm thinking I could maybe put her to good use.

She's doing the "music thing" so her schedule is very free. I have between 30-38 hours of rides each week, and I have to catch, groom, tack and turnout each horse plus lessons on top of that, so I could be WAY more efficient if I had someone to bring horses up for me.

She would probably have some time between each horse that she could be doing something- either working on her computer, writing, messing with the guitar, whatever.

I was thinking if she could work one full 8 hour day for me or two 4 hour "shifts" I could trade her a lesson and a "free ride" or two per week, supervised if she has something she wants to work on or just to go hack and get some horsie-time. My lessons are usually $40 and "free rides" are usually $20.

I don't worry about her skill set at all, she's a lovely rider with a ton of potential.

Do you think thats a fair trade or would I totally shorting her?

When I had to keep track of work=rides or lessons, the rate was $10/hour. Your 8 hour day would mean $80 in horse time. We didn't let people work for rides unless they were part of the regular lesson program, but as long as they were taking one lesson a week the rest was theirs to spend.

So yeah, your system seems pretty reasonable to me.

Half a day of good help...getting them groomed, booted, saddled, maybe even walked on a long rein for 10-15 minutes, then taking the one you've just finished, and doig cool down, untack, unboot, clean up, and having the NEXT one ready when it's time...priceless.
    You could get 5 horses ridden in 4 hours instead of 6 hours.
    I used to do this for a reined cow horse trainer, taking the hot one, handing him a saddled and warmed up one to take, and repeating that all day. I'd handle maybe 15-16 horses a day, getting some in my string loped when he went to lunch.
    I might actually sit on 10-12 a day, warm ups, cool downs.

4 hours reliable work for a lesson, good trade for both of you!
    Less work, you'll feel cheated, more work, she will.
    Plus, she will know your horses, and be great help at shows.
    What would you try if you knew you would not fail?