The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Want to train my Belgian/Percheron cross?

OK, let's just say it like it is - who wants to train my horse for me?

Here's the deal. I have an almost four year old Percheron/Belgian gelding named Norman. I also have two other horses, two donkeys, a job and a 15 month old (human ). As you can imagine, Norman is not getting any love/attention, and it is not likely that he will anytime soon.

I am looking for a long term (but probably not permanent) situation for Norman. He's mostly halter-broke and he ties. He is decent for the farrier (a little annoying/mouthy, but seems to be outgrowing this). Doesn't have a mean bone in his body, is very brave and confident, and beautiful too. The right person could have him going very nicely in a couple of months. I've been on his back several times (just bareback and with a halter) when he was younger and he doesn't bat an eyelash. I really think he could be ready for the trails by summer. I also think he'd made a good lesson horse or beginner-friendly horse (once he is actually trained, of course!!).

He gets along well with other (horse/human/donkey), is of sound mind and body, an easy keeper, barefoot, very low maintenance in general and did I mention he's pretty?

I don't expect someone to take my horse and train him and give him back to me. I am looking for someone who would like to lease him for a couple of years (potentially longer??), or at least until I am done having kids and actually ready to ride again.

We would, of course, have a contract for everything. I'd like him to stay around the DFW/North Texas/East Texas areas. We have had him since birth and we love him dearly. He just really needs a job and I am trying to be realistic about how much riding I'll actually be doing in the near future.

If you are interested your best bet is to contact me via email ( If you'd like pics let me know, I love to show him off.

Bumping this up for Norman. He's bored.