The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Free Lease 16h ISH Mare, H/J Dressage Trails San Juan Capistrano, CA

I am four months pregnant with my second child and am planning to stop riding at the end of April until the end of Aug (baby due end of July-scheduled C-section, will need a few weeks to heal! ). I'm looking for someone who might be interested in riding my horse anywhere from 1-5 times per week starting towards the end of April until definitely the end of August, possibly longer (although after August it would go down to 1-3x/ week as I get back riding after the baby). The person doesn't need to be George Morris, but I'm not looking for any warm body to ride her- someone who at a minimum has good basics and isn't going to haul on her mouth. I would rather the horse did nothing for 5 months than be ridden by someone who is not a good fit. I don't NEED to lease her and therefore I'll be kind of picky about who rides her. She will remain in training 2x/ wk with my dressage instructor and might get hacked out on trail by a friend 1-2x/ week, but I am more than willing to work around all of that with the individual.

This is for an ON FARM LEASE ONLY. Initially it will be for ring-riding only until I am confident that you and she are a good fit; then there are miles ane miles of awesome trails that you can ride right off the property to access. The farm is Tar Farm in San Juan Capistrano (www.tarfarms.com). The person would be free to take dressage or H/J lessons on her (at their cost) and depending on how well it goes, we could talk about showing off the property (again, all at your cost and initiative- I don't care if you show her or not). My barn offers both top hunter (www.ivygatefarm.com) and top dressage (www.tarfarmsdressage.com) instruction If it's a REALLY good fit, I'm definitely open to continuing this arrangement including showing privileges after I'm fully back riding as my time will be even more at a premium with two kids. I do foxhunt her, so some Sundays in the fall and winter will be off-limits . I can work that out with the person at the time though.

The horse is a 16hh Irish Sport Horse mare, coming 7... She is doing 1st Level dressage stuff. She's not going to be an A hunter, but she's fun to jump around, doesn't refuse, has competed up to 3' and schooled up to 3'3" (not in hunters though- in jumpers and eventing). She is not at all hot and is fairly easy to ride although takes a very steady, consistent hand to get her correctly on the bit. In the dressage ring she takes a lot of leg and seat; in the jumping ring and out on trail she is nicely forward but not at all fast or hard to control (she loves to jump!) She'd be good for someone who might want to do local stuff and just have a horse to ride and jump on. I hack her out on trails right off the property all the time, have foxhunted her first field with Santa Fe Hunt in Temecula, and have evented her recognized Beginner Novice (2'9") and unrec Novice (3').

Please reply here or PM me if interested. I have many pics available of her eventing, foxhunting, on trail, etc and will answer any and all questions you have. My profile pic is her jumping a Novice XC question at a 4-yr old Young Event Horse clinic.

Thanks!
    Last edited by hey101; Mar. 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Wish I was just a little bit closer! Your mare sounds amazing!

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Thanks to all for the responses! I now have a number of options for the horse while I am on riding hiatus. Please do continue to contact me as people's situations can always change. While there are plenty of people now to ride her, I will keep your contact information should something change.

Thanks!
    ~Living the life I imagined~