The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it possible to shorten a saddle flap?

I bought a saddle on eBay that I absolutly love and that fits both of my horses perfectly, BUT the flap is too long for me by about 2 inches. Is it possible to shorten the flap? Do you know of anyone that does this? Or would I be better off just selling the saddle? Thanks!

I did a google search and www.theenglishsaddler.com/repairs.html says they can do it. Has anyone used them?

My saddler in my area can add knee rolls to saddles, so I'm sure they could shorten flaps. They seem to be pretty wide-ranged in their services. I've never used them personally so, but I've seen them reseat and redo the billets and knee-rolls on an old Beval and it came out gorgeous.

Why not googling a search for custom saddlers in your area and asking them?
    But George Morris still wears rust-colored breeches- so can I!

The saddler at East Crow (name is escaping me? Patty, maybe?) is great at shortening flaps. She did my dressage saddle for about $125.

How short you can go depends on some things like the knee roll, padding, and sweat flap as well so a saddler will have to tell you if you can take off a full 2 inches.

Generally speaking, you can shorten the skirt to the length of the sweat flap. If you need to shorten the sweat flap to achieve your desired length you are probably better off selling it.

www.theenglishsaddler.com/repairs.html gave me a quote of about $200-$300 to shorten the flap and the sweat flap about 2". Does that seem reasonable? I called and left a message for the place in CT too (Patty), so I'll see what she says.