The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anybody own a horse farm and have room mates

My place is really too big for me. I am considering trying to find a room mate or 2. How do you do it and not end up living with a maniac or slob? Then there is the fact that it is a horse farm (currently with 9 horses on the property) is that a liability for me to worry about?

I am considering renting out the upstairs. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a den with a wet bar. Should I only consider people with horse knowledge? Should I look for singles, a family, a couple (I really need a pay as you go husband/farmhand LOL)? Who makes better renters? The upstairs alone is about 1000 sq feet. Plus this is a very upscale home, not your typical rental property (4000 sq ft, 3 fire places, granite countertops, ect)

How do you work out things like cutting the grass? Is it my problem, should we switch weeks, or hire it done and split the cost? I am talking about the yard (not pastures) but it is about 3 acres!

Never done anything like this before, Please tell me every thing I need to think about
    Last edited by Lmabernathy; Mar. 5, 2010 at 09:26 AM.

At the start of the year, I took in a roommate. My home is not located on the horse property (I board at a private farm), and my roommate has no horse-experience what so ever, so I won't be of much help in that area.
    But, I may be able to help you with regards to finding the right match. My first thought was I must be very honest with any prospective housemate. VERY. I was open with him about my schedule (early mornings, back late, gone competing over weekends) and my expectations of my housemate. I was clear about no smoking, cleanliness and respect. I told him about my lifestyle - in the home, I tend to be quieter - rarely playing loud music, no crazy parties, and tidy.

I then requested references, contact with his existing employer and current landlord, and permission to contact his school for proof of acceptance/future attendance (he was moving to NH for school). When I spoke with these people, I asked for his patterns regarding payments (on time?), behavior in the home/office, is he on time to work, good with animals (was living with his cousin's family and their dog), etc. I also googled the heck out of him (facebook and myspace can be very revealing).

When it comes to household responsibilities, we clean up after ourselves. I oversee basic care of communal living spaces (vacuuming, etc), he keeps his private bath and bedroom clean. He brings the trash down stairs (he makes a lot more trash and is in the house far more then I am) and I take the trash to the bin. He is great with my animals, and helps me with their care when I'm in a pinch.

In the end, he is fantastic. A super match for me. I adore having someone I can trust in my home and it is really nice knowing that someone is there. Good luck!

I'll move in!

My boyfriend and I are looking to either rent a farm, or find a situation like that. He's a handy man extraordinaire and I have over 15yrs of farm management/riding experience and come with a very nice OTTB jumper.

If you're in Florida (where we want to buy eventually) or MD/DE, sign me up!

Otherwise, I would use that new background check website ( I can't remember what it's called). Definitely interview first. Get references, credit check. In the lease (always have a written lease) maybe put that chores are to be shared (especially yardwork), something about no contact with the horses if they have no experience. But references and even that background check if you are really worried.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

What an interesting post!

I've thought about doing the same thing--from both perspectives. My horse facility is small (with too many on it already), but has some useful traits for letting someone keep another horse, separate from my own (I have a pen w/ stall and a paddock with a big shade tree, right behind the house). I thought I'd rent out the master bedroom, kitchen, living and dining room (which is about 3/4s of the house) and, because of the floor plan, just put a stackable washer-dryer in what is now the hallway to the other two bedrooms, walling and blocking off the leased part from my part. Then I thought I'd convert my utility room to a kitchenette, giving me a two room suite with bath and kitchen. Had it all planned for after my father passes (he has alzhiemers, but he's doing fine).

I'm still thinking about doing it, eventually, but unlike your situation, I wouldn't actually be sharing anything directly, not even the horse facilities. Still, though, I want to be "secure" in the type of person in the same way you do, I'm sure. One thing I thought of doing was require a full two months deposit. I thought of that as I thought of MYSELF as a potential roommate of someone else (I've always wanted to figure out a way to share a bigger facility, not just for the horse thing, but for the security thing--doing horses alone has always held me back a bit for fear of who would take care of them if something happened to me.)

Anyway, I thought if I charged enough, I'd be more likely to get the right type of person, especially when it comes to horse care and responsibility--which I've always felt is highly correlated with "house care and responsibility", so to speak. I'd want someone like myself, with a good credit record and savings and an education and options for earning a living (or just a good, long-standing, stable job in the area). I figured if they had multiple horses--and had had them for a long time--with their own truck and trailer and other "mature" stuff like that, plus some kind of history in the business or in showing (not just the casual trail rider, unless it was a professional person who "just" did trail riding now for lack of time to do anything else), then I'd again be more assured of the stability of the person.

I don't know if this is making sense--I'm just tossing down stuff I've thought about. The big, big deal for me would be stability--and, again, if I were to seek the same (i.e. to share a big facility with someone who wasn't using it to full capacity), I'd seek in the owner the traits I'd seek in a roommate, too: solid evidence of financial security and personal stability.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.