The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Natural Horsemanship at its best - WTH!

Cross-post from Off-Course. Be warned, this poor horse has obviously not watched the video.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80925308

I am a fan of being able to move a horses feet from the ground and on top of them. There is a nicer way to be doing what they ARE POORLY ATTEMPTING.

Also no PP fan but this is not something I am familiar seeing and I have had some clients who were into the methodology and went to his camp and I have not seen that degree of abuse. MOST owners I know would not tolerate that abuse and would have stopped the lady. Poor one eyed horse.

IN a nut shell you can not judge one video and blame natural horsemanship, there are some beautiful harmonious NH out there as well. I have seen horrific H/J, eventing and dressage trainers as well, put that crack pot to shame, so your title of this thread is off base IMO But if your attempting to start a "train wreck" Natural Horsemanship, Pat P or rollkur is a good start. :-)
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

Yes, I have seen some really great (sensible and useful) things done with pre-"natural horsemanship" methods (read old school great horsemen like Bryan Neubert, Buck Brannaman) but this is awful.

Did anyone notice the the horse is missing an eye? Of course his head is going to be moving all around. Horses are prey animals so they need to be aware of their surroundings at all times. By god!

And those people who are legit and sensible "natural horsemanship" trainers should try to stop this sort of thing from tarnishing their methods, like dressage riders are fighting rollkur.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I couldn't watch more then 15seconds.. wth is right! maybe im just lost on it.. but i couldn't figure out what she was trying to achieve.

This is definitely not horsemanship, "natural" or otherwise -- it's abuse, plain and simple.

I didn't watch it all the way thru either. However, I do know a little about NH and I didn't have to watch more than a couple of min to know that person knew squat about it. I loved at the very beginning she took over. But she didn't truly know how to work her halter and she allowed the horse to constantly get in 'her space.'

There are good NH trainers out there,I'm another one that's not truly a parelli fan, but I truly love Buck Brananman, Curt Page, Ray Hunt and the other true greats of that manner of training. If I ever won the lottery, I would ask Buck if I could go to school with him.

Cody

I went to the O'Connor camp in December, and part of it was on very basic natural horsemanship. So I have a little bit of understanding of what it should look like. I could see what the woman in the video was trying to do, such as shaking the leadrope and increasing the pressure until the horse yields, however not yanking its head to the side every couple seconds. Then when you bend your head and lean toward their haunches, horses familiar w/ NH will stop and turn to face you, this is called a hind end yield. Watching David do this with his horses is truly amazing. He tilts his head ever so slightly and the horse almost immediately turns to face him. I am not a parelli advocate by any means but there is something to be learned by every discipline involving horses, and parelli is no exception. The basics of the natural horsemanship will increase your horse's focus on you and your body language, and will make him/her more attentive. As David says, "those are the basics, once you've mastered them, everything beyond that is just a circus trick."

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingBug View Post
    I am a fan of being able to move a horses feet from the ground and on top of them. There is a nicer way to be doing what they ARE POORLY ATTEMPTING.

Also no PP fan but this is not something I am familiar seeing and I have had some clients who were into the methodology and went to his camp and I have not seen that degree of abuse. MOST owners I know would not tolerate that abuse and would have stopped the lady. Poor one eyed horse.

IN a nut shell you can not judge one video and blame natural horsemanship, there are some beautiful harmonious NH out there as well. I have seen horrific H/J, eventing and dressage trainers as well, put that crack pot to shame, so your title of this thread is off base IMO But if your attempting to start a "train wreck" Natural Horsemanship, Pat P or rollkur is a good start. :-)
    Not trying to start a train wreck, per se. Just expressing incredible shock at what people will allow themselves (or their horses) to be subjected to based on someone's claim to be a subject matter expert.

Wearing a lab coat doesn't make you a medical expert and carrying an orange stick doesn't make you a horse whisperer.

I don't know who the lady in the clip is, the other post suggested it was LP herself. Seems to me the only good advice she gave was for the owner to get out of the way (shaking head).

OMG! Your comments are all priceless! That "lady" who "knows nothing" is none other than LINDA PARELLI, herself!

Really.

Worthless and abusive. Coolaid drinking cult creeps. No business around a living animal. Period.

Natural horsemanship done well is simply good horsemanship, with a marketing label on it. You can solve 90% of your horse problems with good horsemanship (which takes experience, and can't be learned in a weekend with a carrot stick); the remaining 10% of problems can be solved by using the techniques of the greats.

It's kind of offensive to act as if good horsemanship just got discovered, and that attentive, intuitive, thinking people around horses who have developed many of the same techniques thanks to their brains get lumped in with a marketing guru. Even in my wildest dreams, I would not try to make a buck off of manipulating people with a parelli-like product, because I just care about the horse too much to have him be caught in the middle of this NH charade going on so much these days.

The greats like Ray Hunt, et al are great b/c they (have learned to) put the horse first, and take hints from the horse. The exploiters of NH put their egos first. They're the Martha Stewarts of the horse world -- making a major buck off of the obvious.

Natural horsemanship done well is simply good horsemanship, with a marketing label on it. You can solve 90% of your horse problems with good horsemanship (which takes experience, and can't be learned in a weekend with a carrot stick); the remaining 10% of problems can be solved by using the techniques of the greats.

It's kind of offensive to act as if good horsemanship just got discovered, and that attentive, intuitive, thinking people around horses who have developed many of the same techniques thanks to their brains get lumped in with a marketing guru. Even in my wildest dreams, I would not try to make a buck off of manipulating people with a parelli-like product, because I just care about the horse too much to have him be caught in the middle of this NH charade going on so much these days.

The greats like Ray Hunt, et al are great b/c they (have learned to) put the horse first, and take hints from the horse. The exploiters of NH put their egos first. They're the Martha Stewarts of the horse world -- making a major buck off of the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by eyetallion stallion View Post
    OMG! Your comments are all priceless! That "lady" who "knows nothing" is none other than LINDA PARELLI, herself!

Really.

Seriously? You're kidding.
    New title for film: "How to make your horse incredibly head-shy."
    Totally cool with natural horsemanship if that's your thing and you're good at it. Totally not cool with whatever this is... and bad horsemanship of all kinds, natural or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritazza View Post
    Seriously? You're kidding.
    nah, it's Linda Parelli, and from one of their Level 1 training videos.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    nah, it's Linda Parelli, and from one of their Level 1 training videos.
    ........... wow.

Its Natural Horsemanship....its very natural to lose your temper when you don't have the correct skills or knowledge to teach/train a horse properly

And then they wonder why more people refuse to drink the kool-aid.....

This was nauseating- I didn't read the threads , so i was trying to figure WhoTF she was and WTF she was doing with that poor horse..... maybe she should have a halter put on her, along with a pirate patch, and then have the lead rope shaken, snapped at her, spun around, and smacked in the face.

I see absolutely NO horsemanship whatsoever there or ever with those jokes...natural or otherwise...I see good marketing and a good business ripping off the uninformed and ignorant.

I do know a little about NH and I didn't have to watch more than a couple of min to know that person knew squat about it.
    Sorry...it IS Linda parelli-and I've heard that they actually had this video as part of their level 1 training package!
    I've seen this woman on her show, taking horses from people and jerking them around-whipping that rope as hard as she could, in order for that clip to hit the horses chin--this is why I cannot stand Parelli! My horses will back, when asked! No need to do this to them--if I'm teaching them, a light 'swish' on their leg with a dressage whip will get them to back. and you build from there.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

The people who are defending her are saying the horse was dangerous. I saw a really really confused horse who may have been a pit pushy originally but was mostly just confused.

I believe a new and novice horse owner bought him straight off the track and had lots of problems with him spooking and dumping her.