The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Tweed Jacket for HT - Acceptable or Not?

OK, so the anglophile in me is coming out. How strange would it be to wear a nice, tailored English tweed hacking jacket for dressage and/or stadium jumping in the U.S. up to and including prelim? Would it seem pretentious or just too not American? BTW, I'm an over 50 yr old guy so it is a look I'm comfortable with on a daily basis. Thanks in advance.

The british side of me would say yes, the "what not to wear" side would say no.

I have a brown tweed hacking jacket I wore up to Prelm a few years ago--SJ though, not dressage. Dorothy Crowell had one too. It's a bit different, but I like it and it is certainly within the rules.

I have done, didn't notice any funny looks from bystanders, and placed decently iirc.

It's fine.

Prelim and under, fine. Heck, I'd say anywhere's fine (I'm the one who just bought a paisley ascot!) but somewhere I remember reading that tweed was for Prelim and under. Looks fantastic, too.
    Click here before you buy.

Good news, thanks.

Funny but I just realized that I drive a Range Rover, have an AGA cooker, a Dulalite toaster, and IDSH imported from England, a Jack Russel imported from Ireland and a really nice Bookster tweed hacking jacket and shoot a Purdy while wearing my Crockett & Jones Coniston boots. Maybe I really should save my entry fees and put them towards some psychiatric evaluation?

P.S. While I write this I'm watching my 2009 DVD of Badminton. Surely an intervention might be appropriate!

P.P.S. Deltawave: a paisley ascot? You're my hero!

Default Do it!

I have not competed in 10 years but I looking forward to returning soon with my youngster... and I want to do it in a tweed coat!

I think they look great!

Deltawave, I didn't have the guts to say some thing on the ascot thread, but I loved that paisley ascot! Seriously, how is an ascot more pompous a poofy stock tie? Its not like that is something you see people walking down the street in every day.

I am looking foward to a nice tweed with a cream stock tie, just because I don't have the guts to do it with an ascot.

I do remember "the Waltons" (Jill and Jamie) used to ride with collared shirts and ties in an "across the sea" style. I wanted to copy that as well, but again didn't have the guts!

Default I have a Bookster Tweed

And just ordered another but just use it for foxhunting. I suppose if it was a dark color. Really it's within the rules and a good judge will pay no mind.

Love my Bookster.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    ...but somewhere I remember reading that tweed was for Prelim and under. Looks fantastic, too.
    That would have been in the rule book...

Go for the tweed -

as far as the anglophile coming out... if you switch out your Badminton or Burghley, even better yet Murder at a Gallop for Cold Comfort Farm then perhaps an intervention might be in order...