The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicated View Post
    He is currently eating a senior feed, can I feed him the 32%balance rationer that I feed all of my Thoroughbreds?
    Assuming he doesn't have any health issues like EPSM, a high protein ration balancer is perfect the for the easy keeper.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I have a Perch/tb.

Be prepared to "wait" a bit after you give an aid..... as in , "oh, we should canter now? OK". You can get him hotter on the aids, but remember is is not a hotblood.

L
    I got a good chuckle out of this statement. It took me several years to get my mare a little more responsive. I felt like I worked way to hard to get her to move!

Here is my mare....and she is precious and I love her dearly.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/336641610NkyFjj

re: manners...

Keep in mind draft horses were bred for centuries to be tolerant of discomfort and pressure; the best pullers, the strongest pullers, were really willing to put their shoulders into it because they aren't as sensitive. I don't think this is just a shoulder/back "less sensitive" issue, they are truly less sensitive everywhere. So, our little pushes and tugs don't register like a on a TB, and we are certainly less troublesome than a fly if the horse is riled.
    Last edited by Bif; Mar. 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: wrote "intoloerant", meant very TOLERANT
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Back to my earlier post...this is timely. This week a half-draft was being lunged by her adult intermediate late to horses owner when somehow the lunge line got wrapped around her leg. The horse took off (maybe got scared, don't know)
    pulled so hard the lunge line BROKE and she shattered her femur. Major surgery, plate from knee to hip and lots of rehab ahead. It is just that they are bred to pull and think nothing of it and (as Bif said) don't feel anything.

So, please, work hard on making your horse light and responsive, esp. on the ground to avoid being stomped on, pushed around, and barged over. Your private space is about a 3' circle around your whole body. Aim to get her so sensitive that when you compress the air between you and her she moves away.....if that's possible with a draft!

I have worked with several drafties, and genuinely like them. With youngsters, new situations, new home, I think it is important to have a chain and a dressage whip available. Especially with one prone to being dominant until they figure out their status in the people herd. Some do appear almost handicapped in their ability to recognize certain cues and stimulus.

A chain over the nose (remember, as light as the handler!) to make sure they understand commands and are respectful even when excited is kinder to the horse in the long run. A dressage whip on the ground is kind of the only thing "sharp" enough to remind them if they aren't listening to your body language and hands on them. You might need to teach a pushy draft to back up from the feed pan until you're out of the way, and one time firmly with the dressage whip usually gets the message across, and yet if done fairly without anger, they aren't afraid of the whip. Do that to a TB, and you would have a whole different barrel of problems! It's really making sure that your communications to the horse are understood, with no room for wrong interpretation on thier part because they couldn't really "hear" (feel) you.

I of course am not advocating beating or being unfair, just being willing to calmly, non-emotionally back up commands that are ignored. The horse learns respect, and those tools (stud chain, whip) might not be needed for months or years. A horse that respects the handler and looks to them first for guidance in scary situations is a safer animal to be around.
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    Invest in sturdy fence...with hot wire. lol

I love my draft cross. He's 8 years old, Perch/Tb/Paint, has a nice solid body, with sturdy legs & huge bare feet. HE's a big bodied horse, but not drafty. He moves like a light horse and is pretty responsive. He's brave, sweet, willing and extremely accepting of new things. I've had him since he was a weanling, and I would get another in a heartbeat.
    This is pretty much what I was going to say!
    Hot wire is my best friend! Tucker has allergies and is itchy...unprotected boards break like toothpicks.
    I am lucky that he is not drafty either. He is a QH-Perch but people who meet him for the first time think he is a Friesian. He is barefoot, so I don't have to worry about shoes. And despite his size, he actually eats the same amount as the rest of my horses..in fact, right now I am decreasing his feed as he is getting a bit porky.
    He has a puppy dog mentality and has been easy to train. I have owned him since I adopted him from a PMU farm when he was 6 mo. He is going to be 7 this year.
    The only other draw backs are that I had to buy all new tack...saddle, bridles, halters, blankets. I had to get a new trailer as well. Other than that, I can't complain!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    This is pretty much what I was going to say!
    Hot wire is my best friend! Tucker has allergies and is itchy...unprotected boards break like toothpicks.
    I am lucky that he is not drafty either. He is a QH-Perch but people who meet him for the first time think he is a Friesian. He is barefoot, so I don't have to worry about shoes. And despite his size, he actually eats the same amount as the rest of my horses..in fact, right now I am decreasing his feed as he is getting a bit porky.
    He has a puppy dog mentality and has been easy to train. I have owned him since I adopted him from a PMU farm when he was 6 mo. He is going to be 7 this year.
    The only other draw backs are that I had to buy all new tack...saddle, bridles, halters, blankets. I had to get a new trailer as well. Other than that, I can't complain!
    Yes, Lori T. I desperately need a new trailer too. I bought mine years ago when I had 15H quarter horses. My tiny little PMU weanling is now 16'2 and has a very upright build. The top of his ears are about an inch from the roof of my trailer. The problem is that I have to figure out how to fund it. I've been lucky so far in the tack dept, my QH's saddle fits him, but he's still filling out so I'm sure a wider saddle is in the cards.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.