The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    schmalter Guest

Default Breast implants and riding?

I'm obviously posting under an alter but I have a serious question. No trolling here.

I'm considering getting implants and want to hear from anyone who's done it. How long after the surgery can you start riding again?

Thanks

I had implants done about 6 years ago.. I was back riding (light riding) at about 6 weeks.. Never any problems.. don't regret it at all.. hardest part was getting used to the new girls while mounting.. they kind of got in the way at first.

schmalter Guest

Ugh. 6 weeks seems like forever after the winter we've had. I wish I'd have thought about this last fall.

From somebody that was born with a full chest...... are you sure you really want them bigger? I am not huge to start with (larger C), but now pregnant and they are getting much larger. I already told hubby if the girls don't snap back into shape after the kids thing is done I am getting them chopped! I would gladly share.

schmalter Guest

Well, I've thought about it on and off my entire life. I'm almost 40 now and I figure why not? Kids are not an issue. Don't want HUGE ones though. Maybe a small C. I'd like some cleavage for once. The more I think about it, I might just wait until late fall to do it so I don't miss much riding.

Had a reduction from too large(double G) to a small D. Ready to have another reduction to a small B. I have no need for them and they just get in the way.

Why would you want to implant a foreign objective in your body?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I got implants a few years ago (as replacements after BC surgery, so not quite the same thing,) but was riding quite soon afterward.

I wasn't even particularly sore afterward, which was somewhat surprising, but other than having some difficulty mounting and dismounting, I was back to "real" riding about two weeks post op. (I did ride before then, actually only a few days after my surgery, but it was only wandering around the farm at a walk on my super quiet hunter.)

I personally think that if you want them and can afford it, why not? They are very well studied from a clinical perspective and as long as you have a competent surgeon, present no huge risks. It *is* recommended to get follow up MRIs every couple of years to monitor them, and you should also be aware that implants *don't* last forever and will need to be replaced at some point, but other than that, not a big deal. I will *never* understand why some people feel the need to judge others who choose cosmetic surgery. IMO it is a very personal choice and no one else's concern!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I guess when you have one extreme, you'd rather not have it. I'm the opposite of the OP, rather well endowed and sure wish I hadn't gotten that gene....

I'm seriously thinking of the reduction surgery as I have grooves in my shoulders, back aches, good bras that fit are very pricey, and they get in the way. I'd also donate to you if it was possible.
    Last edited by Heart's Journey; Mar. 4, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

I have a friend who got them and it ruined her seat. She has a slender, athletic frame and that extra weight up top just throws her forward.

Be careful not to go up too much in size...

I also am in a sport which has a lot of guys in it (draft horses). Like me, this person is into draft horses and rides and drives.

Here is the thing...she has been the talk, really the joke of the "boys gang" ever since -going on four years. "You know, the girl with the fake tits," or "Her silicon boobs are so heavy, she can't stay on her horse." That kind of unkind thing said behind closed doors, when beer is around. Be careful about talking about it with ANYONE unless you like that feeling of being judged as you walk down the barn aisle or are oblivious to the sideways glances of old friends and acquaintances.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by schmalter View Post
    Well, I've thought about it on and off my entire life. I'm almost 40 now and I figure why not? Kids are not an issue. Don't want HUGE ones though. Maybe a small C. I'd like some cleavage for once. The more I think about it, I might just wait until late fall to do it so I don't miss much riding.
    That is a very reasonable size and I wouldn't think would be a hard post-op recovery aside from typical wound healing then. I just worry about the people that go enormous and regretting doing it. I tried a horse from a woman that was tiny tiny built and thin and she got DD's. It looked so uncomfortable, but she was very happy with them, wanted me to feel them several time (no I didn't, I don't care what they feel like thanks though). I saw on one of those cosmetic surgery shows there is one that recovers really quick where they go through your belly button so all you have it that, those people were back to normal life in like 10 days. I guess it would depend on your surgeon and how they do it.

schmalter Guest

I have an average frame and somewhat broad shoulders so I thing C would fit my body perfectly. I have picked out a Surgeon I'd like to consult with but haven't met with him yet. I was told by a friend who used him that they generally let the surgeon choose which insertion method is best for your body type.

I'd get it done right away if it wasn't for the riding issue, but I'll meet with him soon and let him tell me what the recovery time might be.

Lucassb - I agree with you, I don't know why some people are so opinionated on cosmetic surgery. It is a personal choice.

I know a woman who had implants done after a mastectomy. They were just a little smaller than her before size, and they looked quite natural. She was back to her regular activities in a couple weeks, just had to be careful.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I have a friend that had it done she was very small and went to a C cup. I could not under stand way she did, seeing as I was just about a B cup before my son and now 14 yrs later a E cup growing into a F cup. I would be very happy to be a B cup again.

p.s. She had it done in the fall so that she could be back to riding and showing come spring.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

As the resident "Boob Expert", I must caution you to look carefully at all the ramifications before getting this surgery and ask for verifiable references and examples of your surgeons work before you fork over any money.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

As someone who is a natural C, I can tell you that they're sort of a pain in regards to riding - I generally have to wear two bras, which sucks.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

No advice, just wanted to say I'm another one of the do it if you want it! people. I'm all for plastic surgery, if I ever opt to do it. In fact, after kids I plan on getting a tummy tuck and boob job and have no shame admitting that.

I agree, just know your balance will probably be off for a little bit but I'm sure you'll get used to it. I have 36D's, DD's in some brands and I don't find them much of a nuisance. Also, as superficial as this sounds, cleavage is nice and so is being able to fill out the top of your shirts. Nothing wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    As the resident "Boob Expert",
    I'm sorry, Lex, is that "Boob Expert" or "Expert Boob?"

~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    I'm sorry, Lex, is that "Boob Expert" or "Expert Boob?"

Har har har.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

A trainer friend went through this a few months ago. She didn't ride for about 6 weeks afterward, mostly because she could not lift much and also did not have the strength to pull back on the reins if the horse bolted. The surgeon had told her she could ride after 3-4 weeks, but she did not feel strong enough in her upper body.

YES! Im 21, had them done last summer when I was 20, and it was the best thing I ever did.

. I was LITERALLY concave. I had all kinds of self esteem issues and had been talking to my parents about wanting it done since I was about 16. They kept saying to wait, they'll grow, your just a LATE bloomer, etc. Finally even they realized it was never gonna happen and agreed to let me get them (that was sure an uncomfortable topic for dad)!

I origionally told my plastic surgeon that I just wanted to be a full B. Really all I wanted was to be able to buy bras at a real store like Victoria's Secret (not the training bras you get at Target that usually have disney princesses and whatnot all over them) and have clothes fit properly. I specifically said I didn't want anything too big because I ride. He agreed even though they said that with my frame, I could go as big as a D without looking out of proportion. NOOO way was I going to have that!

They said it would be 6-8 weeks out of the saddle after surgery. I had it done May 20th (I had to have it done over the summer since during the school year I'm at school 6 hours from home, and my surgeon wanted me nearby for the 6-8 weeks post-op in case of complications and for ease of follow-up appointments), and was hoping to be back in the saddle in enough time to show at the end of August.

Recovery for me was a complete breeze. Literally, I had about 10x more pain recovering from having my wisdom teeth taken out than I did recovering from my breat implants. I had a pain pump in the incisions that delivered a local anesthetic to the area for the first 48 hours, but other than that I only used 1 of my pain pills. Besides some tightness and a little bit or soreness when I moved my arms which resulted in me being afraid to drive for the first week, I was completely fine. I was bra shopping at the end of the 2nd week, and riding (with 2 sports bras) about halfway through the 3rd week post-op. I took it really slow the first 2 days or so, but after that really didn't feel any reason why I couldn't go back to riding normally, so I did (although I think I waited another week or 2 before jumping again). I told my plastic surgeon that I was riding and he said as long as I was feeling ok and keeping the girls from moving around too much, just to be careful, and it was fine! I was showing about 8 weeks after surgery.

Once I finally got measured at Victoria's Secret (an exciting day for me) I found out that I was actually a C, not a B like I had originally planned. I am PERFECTLY ok with that! They in NO way negatively affect my riding. I honestly didn't even feel a difference when I rode. I will even go as far as to say, I kinda wish I had gone just a tad bigger!

As you can probably tell from how much I have to say about it, I am a HUGE supporter of this surgery. I honestly feel so much better about myself, have much higher self-esteem, and the surgery was totally worth it. The recovery went very easily for me, so I was really only out of the saddle for a little over 3 weeks. They have absolutely NO negative effect on my riding whatsoever.

Best thing I've ever done
    RIP Owen 2/2/07

Laguna <3