The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Halters Stolen Off Horses in Their Field

Very disconcerting, but my horses had their halters taken off of them yesterday while they were in their field. Someone was home until 4:30 and then I came home at 5:30. Needless to say, I am rattled and there was a horse shot in the face, point blank in my county a month or so ago, at the opposite end of the county from where I live.

Why would anyone do this?

I don't know but I hope you reported the trespass and theft to the police.

Are the halters gone?

I am thinking best case scenario, some very nosy horse person felt it was unsafe and decided to take matters into their own hands. If that is what happens it also means, of course, that they are a nutjob so that's not encouraging. Hope you figure out what happened and its benign!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Are you sure that they are gone? Very often the horses remove the halters themselves and I will find them buried in the mud somewhere in the field. They are very good at hiding them. I hope this is the case and you really didn't have a person stealing your halters. That is frightening. Very ballsy.

What kind of halter (or did the alien ponies come and steal them?)

I recall reading about tack theft at Pimlico many years ago: Halters and lead shanks ended up in the pitbull circles in town. One was found with the horse's name plate still on it. Ironically, what those thugs paid for the stolen halters, they could have bough custom made stuff and then some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Are you sure they were actually removed by human hands? My horses became so adept at removing them from each other I finally left them off always and forever. There are at least two I was never able to locate out in the pastures.

This takes me back. Infuriating and expensive...

When I lived in England we went through a phase when our blankets were being stolen off our horses out in the pasture. We started painting our freeze-brand numbers in foot-high letters on our blankets, and that put a stop to that. (We were also pretty sure who was doing it, but back in the days of New Zealand rugs, they all looked pretty much the same and it was hard to prove.)

In my neck of the woods, there are often problems with fly masks being "stolen" off the horses in pastures, by non-horsey folks who think we are keeping them blindfolded! Maybe someone thought they needed to be "free"?

I would get a Great Pyrenees, train as a guard dog. My friend (alpaca farmer) has a pack. His gate sign says "My dogs can get to the gate in 26 seconds, can you?"

And a hot wire around the fence.

Ooh, that's one of the really good tresspassing signs I forgot about! That and "Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be prosecuted".

I second the idea that they took them off themselves. I have lazed in a field of clover, and, chewing a stem of some wild grain, watched the horses in the field rub head to tail, and work their way up the neck of their friend and pull the headstall right over their ears. Pretty soon, they were all doing it.

I would suspect it was theft the moreso if the headstalls were leather? If you get new ones, get expensive leather ones with name plates or punched leather names in them. Then go to the local 4h show this spring and take a walk around.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

The halters were definitely taken. That is for certain. Reported it to the Police. They were leather halters, both of them. I bought new cheaper nylon halters and will leave them in the barn - not on the horses while they are out.

I have no idea who would do this. There was also someone at the house all day on the day this happened. I put locks on the gates. I just do not like knowing that someone is messing with my horses, regardless.

I will get a sign too - I love the one that was mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Ooh, that's one of the really good tresspassing signs I forgot about! That and "Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be prosecuted".

I second the idea that they took them off themselves. I have lazed in a field of clover, and, chewing a stem of some wild grain, watched the horses in the field rub head to tail, and work their way up the neck of their friend and pull the headstall right over their ears. Pretty soon, they were all doing it.

I would suspect it was theft the moreso if the headstalls were leather? If you get new ones, get expensive leather ones with name plates or punched leather names in them. Then go to the local 4h show this spring and take a walk around.

I saw one like that that a friend of mine had except it said
    "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again."
    And they would do it too.
    Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway

Boots, chaps and cowboy hats... nothin' else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowgirl View Post
    I saw one like that that a friend of mine had except it said
    "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again."
    And they would do it too.
    That's how I've always heard it, too. I read the other version and my first thought was "what kind of sissies would prosecute the survivors?"

OP, I doubt you have to worry about your horses being shot. Most likely someone just wanted your halters, or thought it was unsafe and wanted to teach you a lesson. I can understand why you thought of that, though--even something small like having the halters removed can be a big violation of privacy. It sucks people are like that.