The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Which bit would you recommend?

Ok my mare has been in an eggbutt snaffle for the last three years and now has become too hard mouthed to listen to it. Which makes me upset cause I was not the one riding her when this occurred. Anyway, what bit would be good to move her up that's not too severe but will make her listen a little better? I would like to have her in a shanked bit anyway but I want to regain the softness...she's a western pleasure girl

Also my gelding isn't responding very well too his broken long snaffle (I just got him in Jan was told by previous owner he was great in a tom thumb....not so much) which bit would be good for him? He's my trail riding and fun time boy
    Thanks for all the help
    Proud Owner of Acertifiable Sonny 1996 AQHA Sorrel Gelding
    -- I loff my QH Clique

Maybe instead of taking her up to something maybe take her down to something that can help her relax again to the bit...if her mouth was treated severely and she has become hard mouthed i would go back to a training style bit or something with a nice 'peanut' roller maybe in copper or sweet iron, something she can enjoy again and work on retraining that softness back. Also a nice visit from the dentist to reevaluate her mouth and get teeth floated.

as for your gelding - teeth checked and other maybe back issues check and the same bit advise from me anyway. just my two cents.

I would get a couple curb chains and remouth her. Someone posted a thread about it a little while ago. Later when I have a little more time I'll post it.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I would definitely work on softening her up and have the dentist check both horses.

I have a Mexican Mustang that doesn't do well with a snaffle bit but is a dream in a shank bit. He carries the bit well and you can use a super light touch. I use a Myler slightly ported bit with a hinge mouthpiece that has a lot of give and 5 inch shanks. He rides the best in this bit. He's horrible in a Tom Thumb. This is the bit: http://tinyurl.com/y9h2oau

Myler has a bit rental program so maybe you can try different bits until you find the right one.

Boy, there are lots of different ways you can go. I had a gelding who just needed a different bit every 6-8 weeks, not necessarily more or less severe, just different. When he'd start lugging, I'd change bits, and voila, light again.

You don't say what kind of mouthpiece on your eggbutt- if it is a plain 'fat' one- consider a thinner one, or a french link, or even a slow twist or Waterford mouthpiece.

I've also liked the 'wonder gag,' I think it's called, a less expensive version of an elevator bit, with a sweet iron mouthpiece. Fundamentally a snaffle mouthpiece w/shanks that gives one a slight gag effect if needed, and you can also attach double reins if desired.

Thanks for all the help!!

The eggbutt snaffle is copper and smooth link....she was doing so well with it until this girl starting riding her and now she just doesn't listen to it at all. So disappointed. I will try the things you have suggested and I really appreciate the help!!!
    Proud Owner of Acertifiable Sonny 1996 AQHA Sorrel Gelding
    -- I loff my QH Clique