The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ASPCA $1M Rescuing Racers Initiative!

NEW YORK—The ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) today announced the Million Dollar Rescuing Racers Initiative—a major initiative made possible by a generous donor—that will aid in the rescue of retired racehorses from neglect, abuse, and slaughter. Six equine rescues and sanctuaries across the country were selected to take up the challenge of saving more thoroughbreds than ever before.

The six grant recipients are: California Equine Retirement Foundation in Winchester, Calif.; Old Friends in Georgetown, Ky.; MidAtlantic Horse Rescue in Chesapeake City, Md.; Kentucky Equine Humane Center in Lexington, Ky.; Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation headquartered in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. with contracted housing in 14 states; and Communication Alliance to Network Thoroughbred Ex-Racehorses (CANTER) in East Lansing, Mich. with chapters in eight states.

“Many thoroughbreds rarely live out their final days in peace and comfort when their racing careers are over,” said ASPCA President & CEO Ed Sayres. “Too often, they end up at auctions or worse, are sent to slaughterhouses where their lives come to a brutal end. These grants will enable organizations devoted to equine rescue the ability to save more horses and further advance their mission.”

The selected recipients cover a wide range of thoroughbred rescues, and the grant funding—ranging from $100,000 to $350,000—will be distributed over the next two to three years to help each of the groups increase capacity and rescue more horses. Plans include expanding direct intake programs, incorporating physical therapy/rehabilitation programs, renovating facilities to accommodate more horses, creating voucher programs to increase adoptions, and implementing training programs for thoroughbreds to ready them for second careers.

“We met with visionaries who were extremely grateful to be selected for this opportunity to responsibly build their capacity and save more racehorses,” said Jacque Schultz, Senior Director of ASPCA Community Outreach. “The ASPCA truly values each group’s steadfast efforts to promote equine welfare. The thoroughbred that has given its all on the racetrack deserves to live out his life free of pain, fear, and suffering.”

In 2009, the ASPCA awarded a total of more than $540,000 in the form of 164 grants to equine rescue groups and humane organizations across the country. The ASPCA works to protect and aid horses through legislation, advocacy, education, targeted grants, and enforcement of the carriage horse and cruelty laws in New York City.

For more information on the ASPCA’s equine programs, please visit http://www.aspcapro.org/saving-lives/equine-program.

Media Contact:
    Emily Brand; (212) 876-7700 ext 4575; emilyb@aspca.org

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Congrats to all recipients! I'm speechless....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

I am not familiar with all the groups, are harness racers included?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

With the exception of the Kentucky Equine Humane Center
    http://www.kyehc.org/adopt.html the other organizations are strictly Thoroughbreds.

Eventually some Standardbreds may be helped through the KEHC but looking through the adoptable horses the majority of them are TBs....

You have a point though....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

From what little I can tell, they need more help than the TBs...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

This is an effort to help Thoroughbred Racehorses, and was made possible through a private anonymous grant. I know CANTER is very honored to be selected along with these other amazing groups to help even more horses.

Congrats all around!

I am so thrilled for all the orgs, particularly CANTER and MAHR. Congratulations, and big thanks to the donor. Wish we knew who the donor was so we could thank them as well.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

BeverlyAStrauss is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

We are writing a letter to the donor through our contact at the ASPCA- if you want, I can give you the email address......

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    This is an effort to help Thoroughbred Racehorses, and was made possible through a private anonymous grant. I know CANTER is very honored to be selected along with these other amazing groups to help even more horses.

Congrats all around!
    Yep, it's awesome and many thanks to this gracious generous person!