The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Really does sound like you need to find a new barn, even if self care.

I must say though,we are having huge mud problems here. This is one of the soggiest years on record. Usually we don't ride for January and 2 weeks or so of February. This year, no one has been able to ride from November on. It's finally dry and sunny, but more rain is forecast for next week. Too wet to even bring in new footing for the round pen.

This too shall pass. First the drought, now the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Really does sound like you need to find a new barn, even if self care.

I must say though,we are having huge mud problems here. This is one of the soggiest years on record. Usually we don't ride for January and 2 weeks or so of February. This year, no one has been able to ride from November on. It's finally dry and sunny, but more rain is forecast for next week. Too wet to even bring in new footing for the round pen.

This too shall pass. First the drought, now the opposite.
    I know. We still have standing water today and we have 2 more days of rain in the forecast for the weekend. It just doesn't stop

Pepper -- I think people who aren't from here don't quite understand the insanity that our winter has been! I haven't ridden much since November either - maybe a handfull of times, and some of those were bareback on the driveway.

I've learned, too, to limit my venting to my husband. I used to vent a LOT about the rescue work I do - until he started telling me he wanted me to quit the rescue because it seemed to make me so unhappy. The truth is, I love what I do but sometimes need to vent and get it off my chest. I've learned to do that to friends who won't tell me to quit.

This winter has been AWFUL for mud and I somedays want to cry when I think about going outside. I am careful not to say much or else he tells me we should sell the horses, get down to 1-2 horses, and board so i don't have to care for them. The fact is, MOST of the time I love barn time. It is just the horrid mud....
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Default Well, you might not like this either

But why not save some dough and worry by finding a retirement farm (pasture and someone else's eyeballs on him) for your old one? That leaves you more time and money for the rideable one.

It's not important that you do this, so much as it is to watch your own reaction to the suggestion. If it's "Absolutely not! No one can take care of him like I can!" then you know that you are part of the problem. It would suck to have "the problem" follow you to any barn you choose. A place run by someone else will invariably not be as you would have it.

But do just try to hang on-- Spring is coming and horse care for all people everywhere is going to get better soon. Perhaps you should hang onto the memory of this winter so that you can know the benefits of making the day-to-day fight against mud, water and general farm entropy someone else's problem!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I keep reading the title as HUBBY becoming a chore

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    I keep reading the title as HUBBY becoming a chore
    Occasionally HUBBY is a chore too Good thing he is GOOD LOOKING

MVP - I have farmed the old one out as a companion horse and did not get him back in the same condition as he left His feet were 6 weeks overdue and I made the mistake of letting the barn farrier trim him instead of my regular farrier. It took 3 very expensive shoeings to get him sound again. And several months to put the weight back on him. He tried really hard to founder on me from that episode. I would be a bit nervous about letting him go and would need to be able to check on him regularly to be comfortable with that but I would consider putting him in a retirement place if I could find one within my budget and area. My price range right now is pretty tight. If anyone could suggest a retirement facilty that had a good farrier and pastures with a shelter, I would love for him to have that. I actually tried to get him into Equest's theraputic riding program. My farrier does their work. He would be AWESOME at the job since he is the kindest thing on 4 legs but he is not sound right now due to the footing and they do not want to work him back to soundness. And they are close enough that I could check on him whenever

Quote Originally Posted by imapepper View Post
    Occasionally HUBBY is a chore too Good thing he is GOOD LOOKING

MVP - I have farmed the old one out as a companion horse and did not get him back in the same condition as he left His feet were 6 weeks overdue and I made the mistake of letting the barn farrier trim him instead of my regular farrier. It took 3 very expensive shoeings to get him sound again. And several months to put the weight back on him. He tried really hard to founder on me from that episode. I would be a bit nervous about letting him go and would need to be able to check on him regularly to be comfortable with that but I would consider putting him in a retirement place if I could find one within my budget and area. My price range right now is pretty tight. If anyone could suggest a retirement facilty that had a good farrier and pastures with a shelter, I would love for him to have that. I actually tried to get him into Equest's theraputic riding program. My farrier does their work. He would be AWESOME at the job since he is the kindest thing on 4 legs but he is not sound right now due to the footing and they do not want to work him back to soundness. And they are close enough that I could check on him whenever
    I'm with you-- anal about horses and barns. I also wouldn't give my horse away or even put him in a situation that did not allow me to keep tabs on him to my satisfaction.

But that also involves deciding that I have to "pick my battles." My horse might not be cared for the way I want, but does different mean bad? That's a constant question. It sounds like you know what you are doing and will allow for different standards, but not officially bad care. So sorry you found bad out there!

ETA: Doesn't hurt to have some eye candy in bed next to you, does it? Thinking about any aspect of this situation, remember to count your blessings. It's great you know how to care for your own. It will be great to have them boarded somewhere else where mud and water are annoying but not officially your problem.

Finding the right alternative to your own competent, attentive care certainly involves some pounding of the pavement to find it. I hope something local and decent turns up!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

ima - sent you a PM

Jo....I replied Thanks!!!!!

mvp - Yep eye candy = good He actually rode when we met and the old horse belonged to him....so I have a huge sentimental attachment to him. My DH really decorated a pair of chaps back in the day

And I totally agree about picking battles. The barn that I was at did a bunch of things that I didn't love but I would shrug my shoulders, ignore it and go ride my horse. I moved out of there after some injury issues. I came out one day and found the old horse with a huge gash that should have been stitched. The BO said "it's just a flesh wound" Now I can just laugh and picture Monty Python/Holy Grail. But then, I was pretty ticked. And my mare broke her jaw due to an overcrowded pasture and other mares out with her with hind shoes. That was a $3500 incident and a 6 month recovery. Other than that, I can deal with the generic boarding barn as long as it's safe, reasonably well kept and they call me when my horse is injured. That makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    But why not save some dough and worry by finding a retirement farm (pasture and someone else's eyeballs on him) for your old one? That leaves you more time and money for the rideable one.

It's not important that you do this, so much as it is to watch your own reaction to the suggestion. If it's "Absolutely not! No one can take care of him like I can!" then you know that you are part of the problem. It would suck to have "the problem" follow you to any barn you choose. A place run by someone else will invariably not be as you would have it.

But do just try to hang on-- Spring is coming and horse care for all people everywhere is going to get better soon. Perhaps you should hang onto the memory of this winter so that you can know the benefits of making the day-to-day fight against mud, water and general farm entropy someone else's problem!
    You always have very well reasoned posts MVP, I agree with you completely...

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be very hard for this to work for you much longer. Your resentment will only build, and honestly being on the receiving end of someone who is (in their estimation) overly anal retentive and never satisfied is no fun either. I'm not saying you are right or the mother of your friend is. I've just been on both ends of the spectrum - working at a facility that was up to its ears in mud with no turnout for three or four months straight, with too many horses and not enough staff to take appropriate care of all of them. And then also dealing with a high maintenance boarder who wanted to dig the mud out of an entire 10x10 paddock and put straw down over it (despite the horse having access to a perfectly dry attached stall), and wants a cold splint wrapped to get rid of it () She's a lovely, nice person, and probably would say my standard of care isn't high enough (and obviously I would disagree on that point!) Keep that in mind...

Ditto about it being almost the worse possible time of the year. The ground is the worse and spring is so close. Remember the days will be longer starting the week of March 15-that might improve your out look a little. I rode for the first time last weekend since December--mud snow and ice-but it was great-even if I could not do much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    You always have very well reasoned posts MVP, I agree with you completely...

And then also dealing with a high maintenance boarder who wanted to dig the mud out of an entire 10x10 paddock and put straw down over it (despite the horse having access to a perfectly dry attached stall), and wants a cold splint wrapped to get rid of it () She's a lovely, nice person, and probably would say my standard of care isn't high enough (and obviously I would disagree on that point!) Keep that in mind...
    Not so fast with the praise! I To-dal-ly want *someone else* to de-mud the world and melt bone. If I can't have that, then I'll settle for someone to blame.

By the way, can you hand the chick some DMSO and some gloves for the splint?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

ima-you are not alone!

As everyone else has said, this has been an incredibly tough year as far as the weather. My place usually drains well, and I have one paddock that is still 3/4 underwater. It's driving me nuts!!

My DH gets frustrated with my horse venting also. I think it's because he feels that he is then responsible for the solution. It's taken me awhile to learn who it is safe to vent to and who I should spare my frustrated ramblings.

It is hard when you care and just want things done correctly. It is especially tough when you make upgrades to a property that isn't even yours and then all the hard work you've done just goes to waste!

Chin up-you're not alone, it will get better, the sun will come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, they'll be sun.....(pardon me while I break out in song...)

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    I finally threw my hands up and moved my horse back to a full care facility. It was not worth the hassle, aggravation, stress, drama... and at the end of the day, I was spending MORE money at the self care place on extra feed, supplies, etc. than I am now spending at the full care place!!
    Good luck!
    Can't you make more money in the hours you spend on horse care getting paid for something else? Then pay someone to do the horse care.

So sorry to hear about your mud, I have my OWN MUD, YEP ALL MINE! to deal with. After years of drought, my part of GA. has either had rain (inches and inches) or snow - SNOW south of Atlanta. arrgh..

I am sick to death of rain and mud, but today the sun is shining, and I badly want to wash all the horses as they are not as shiny and "pretty" as they are after a bath, but there is still a chill in the air so I hosed legs, scraped mud off hooves and groomed everyone within an inch of their lives.

Sometimes we have to soldier on and make do with what weather we are given, I thank God daily that we have rain after 3 years of drought. So it's mud, in a month it will be hardpan clay and dust..that's GA.

Perhaps a full service facility would be better at this time?

I found a full care facility thanks to a COTH member Thanks so much to Jo for suggesting the place that will become my horse's new home in April. I have a lot of packing to do I am soo excited. I might actually be able to ride and the very best thing is that this barn has indoor plumbing complete with both HOT and cold running water My two nasty looking grey horses have a bath in their future. Time to dig out their coolers and take my saddle out of the garage I will be doing the happy dance for the next few weeks because I know that I am being rescued soon YAY!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay! I'm so excited!

ETA - the very best thing about this barn is ME! Ha ha.

Yea!!! Fantastic news!!!!

I'm going to start at the first post and read the thread, but I had to say that every time I view this page on my phone the thread title looks like "HUBBY becoming a chore" and I think to myself "awww, poor hubby"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.