The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay and Sawdust in MD

I am new to the area of Poolesville MD, zip 20839. Looking for suppliers for grain, hay, and shavings. Any Recommendations ???

First, Welcome to the neighborhood - where is your farm?

one of the best resources is the Equiery - you can pick up a copy (its free) at The Surrey Tack Store (Rt 28 and Seneca right across from Harris Teeter grocery), the hardware store in Poolesville across from Bassetts, or Pooles Store. Quite frankly if you go in to any of those places chances are the folks in there would be glad to help you. If you go into the Surrey (which you will because its a great tack store) Lynn (owner) or Jaye might be able to give you some names/leads

There is a sawmill in Leesburg (just a short ferry trip away) that will load your truck full of sawdust for a mere $20.....it's wonderful if you don't mind an hour or so of shoveling once you get home....there is also delivery available, I think from seperate haulers, but the mill should be able to hook you up with someone.

Their number is 703-777-3600 - if you are going to go pick up bedding for yourself, it's best to call ahead, and certain times of the year it goes quickly - it's also sold as "white mulch" to landscaping companies...

Default Thanks !

gottagrey, I am on a private farm on Beallsville Rd just outside of Poolesville. I have to go on a shopping tour today, so I will try to stop by the hardwarde store and get a copy of the Equiery.

jumpymeister, thanks for the information about the sawmill. Looking at the sawdust they have here I could tell it was pretty local stuff. Very interesting that it costs just $20 a truckload !!

Hi,

You should also check out the Surrey on Rt 28 if you are out and about on your shopping spree. You also might want to track down Yellowbritches on this BB - she is a good source of local information

It's $20 for the "mix" (has some bigger mulchy peices mixed in) $25 for just sawdust lol....I usually splurge on the easier to clean stuff ;-)