The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best cart/wheelbarrow/something for MUD

Now that the snow is melted it's getting harder and harder to use my hay sled... even though it was so convenient

Bella pulling her hay sled

I need something to transport hay and feed bags from the driveway to the barn on day when I can't drive on the grass (most days recently!)... it' about 200 feet.

I stole my mom's gardening cart that is shallow with 2 plastic wheel but the wheels are small and easily get mud-logged.

I also have a classic wheelbarrow but when the mud is deep it seems to just "tip drill" into it.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping for a "frozen ground with no snow" day to just drive a huge load of hay in but until then I'm doing it bale by bale (thankfully I only have 2 low maintenance beasts)

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Try a larger body sled. It works for the military.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Only one I'll ever recommend: Rubbermaid Farm Big Wheel Toughcart

Bought ours 7 years ago from Home Depot and is the best investment made. I use that bugger for everything from stall waste to hauling water. It pushes or pulls, turns on a dime and goes over everything.

I can move heavy stuff too, like a tack closet and the core of a round bale....by myself.

Worth every penny
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Only one I'll ever recommend: Rubbermaid Farm Big Wheel Toughcart

)
    are the wheels good in mud? I don't mind making multiple trips as long as i'm not taking half the ground with me in the wheels!

Yup. When it's deep mud, I pull it.

Have been doing so since allllll the rain we've gotten in Georgia since September. We use one back pasture for winter "sacrifice," and the entrance is rather narrow (a bottleneck) where allll the water from the front of the farm property runs down to. Add in 3 - 5 horses and you have 12 inches of muck in no time.

Granted, it's a good bit of slogging, huffing and puffing, but BY GOLLY, that cart is pulled through!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

yeah, easy to pull in the mud and it won't clip your heels.

[QUOTE=ChocoMare;4721427]Only one I'll ever recommend: Rubbermaid Farm Big Wheel Toughcart

DITTO. Mine is probably ten years old. Still going strong.

I bought one from ChocoMare's recommendation and I love mine! If you order from Ace Hardware you get free shipping to the store.

For those of you with this "wonder cart" (the Rubbermaid) -- speak to me of the TIRES. Have you had any trouble with the axles or tires? Do they stay inflated? Stay ON the wheelbarrow?

I am at my wits' end with wheels flattening or falling off, or axles getting out of whack. I am about ready to give this one a try!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I've only had to add air twice to the tires. They stay on and are pretty tough!

We keep a small air-tank at the barn just for the quick pump-ups....hubby refills it at home from his shop compressor.

I've had mine for about ten years...Occasionally I have to add air to the tires - but never problems with axles, tires coming off, etc. etc. Really, it IS all that AND a bag of chips.

So, tell me how much weight that Rubbermaid puppy will tote? I killed my last lighter duty Rubbermaid and have been suspicious of getting another Rubbermaid....
    Y'all ain't right!

Trust me Suzanne....the ToughCart is a beast.

My co-boarder built herself a tack closet in the main part of the barn (more room to work). Once it was finished, came the great question: how do you move a 500 pound box o'wood and put it where you want it? Enter the ToughCart. I put the nose of the cart on the ground and two people leaned the tack closet down onto it as I held it steady.

Two springs ago the farm owner wanted composted manure placed around her apple trees. I filled that ToughCart at least six times with 300 pounds of heavy manure, hauled it up the very rocky driveway and dumped it.

Also it was called into service to move water. The hydrant had frozen in the main pasture. Only water available was up at the barn. I filled the cart with water, carrrrefulllly manuevered it down to the paddock and dumped it in a low-tank. That was a LOT of water.

Still going strong.