The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Opinions on sending a horse off to H/J training.

I am exploring my options. The pony we were interested in has been taken out on trail I have been looking all over but nothing that nice, that affordable can be found any where. So I had an idea. What if i send my mare to a trainer to be refreshed and brought back into work? I would be looking for a H/J trainer to put a few months of training on my mare and help my daughter along the way with her. She is well started on the flat but has had a few years off to be a mom and while my back has been healing from a car accident. She has been ridden off and on over those years but nothing consistent. If you know of a trainer in or around the Moore County Nc area, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    TIA

Pictures of my mare.
    http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...0260_98790260/
    With my daughter
    This was when she was first started under saddle giving my daughter a lesson
    Most recent
    This was taken with my daughter one month after having her foal.
    Now that I have bored you to tears with my mare, would love to her suggestions.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

It can be done, but be sure to remain an engaged client.

If your mare is unfit, I'd personally do that long slow legging up myself first. Why? Because you can. Because it will be cheaper. Because trainers often don't have the time and interest in doing this boring work. Because if you rush that, you set your mare up for an injury when she gets to a new person and a program that may be beyond her fitness level.

Then get a very clear idea about what you want. Assuming fitness, do you want your mare's existing buttons dusted off? Do you need her taught or reminded of any rules either inside or outside of the ring? What do you want to be able to do with her when she comes home? How long do you want to leave her in training, according to your schedule or wallet? Or do you want a more open-ended relationship where you work with the trainer and choose a long term riding or showing goal?

After that, interview carefully and in person. Be as specific and honest as you can about what your mare needs and what you'd like. You'll find the right person, but it may take some legwork.

Having a sound but unfit horse and some ambition during early spring is not a bad place to be. Just remember to resist cutting corners on the fitness issue.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Very sweet looking Ask your trainer, but to me they look so comfortable together!

Smile

Thank you MVP for your advice. My mom has been riding her over the last 2 months (weather permitting LOL). I totally agree about not cutting corners. I love this mare way to much to do that or allow someone else to do that to her. i have been in contact with a couple of trainers so far. One sound very promising. We have an appointment to go out and see the facility, and watch the trainer give a lesson and do a training ride. I am waiting for another trainer that came highly recommended to call me back so we can discuss my situation further.

Thank you for the compliment Blackberry Farm. i think they look great together and would be so excited to watch the two of them blossom together. I have done all the training up till this point, but a car accident by a drunk driver has stopped the majority of my riding. Plus it is time for an experience H/J trainer to do their magic with them. I hope I find someone that loves both my daughter and my mare!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Can't help you much in the way of trainers, but just wanted to say I love your mare!!! She is gorgeous!!! I also think that in terms of size, you daughter fits her well.....and she will grow ( your daughter, not the mare ) Better to have her put the time in with something she will be able to ride for a while, rather than having to turn around and get something larger for her in a year.....ask me how I know this I will tell you that we are leasing a horse for my daughter out of a place called Seaborne Farm ( outside of Raleigh ) and the trainer, Lauren Hill, drove him up to our place. I was very impressed with her professionalism and her riding.....nice people, and they breed and train their own, so have that experience. Don't know if they are anywhere near you, but just thought I would throw that out there, since I have been really happy in my dealings with her.
    Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket???

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pony'tude View Post
    Can't help you much in the way of trainers, but just wanted to say I love your mare!!! She is gorgeous!!! I also think that in terms of size, you daughter fits her well.....and she will grow ( your daughter, not the mare ) Better to have her put the time in with something she will be able to ride for a while, rather than having to turn around and get something larger for her in a year.....ask me how I know this I will tell you that we are leasing a horse for my daughter out of a place called Seaborne Farm ( outside of Raleigh ) and the trainer, Lauren Hill, drove him up to our place. I was very impressed with her professionalism and her riding.....nice people, and they breed and train their own, so have that experience. Don't know if they are anywhere near you, but just thought I would throw that out there, since I have been really happy in my dealings with her.
    I was just looking at some of their ponies for sale.LOL I agree about here growing into the mare. I will see where they are located and give them a call.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I recently sent one to Still Creek Farm in Tryon, NC. The trainer is Holli Adams. This was a colt coming off of rehab that needed to be restarted (had only had about 8 months on him before his injury) and be brought up to show ready. She's had the colt for 2 months and he is ready for the show ring at the A shows (and will be). I am VERY pleased and would highly recommend her. Also, they have put in an Aquatred that will be operational to boarders within a month and open to the public in two. It's a great way to get one fit and Holli does an outstanding job with all from kids to adults. Truly a professional program!
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Smile

Thank you for the suggestion. I map-quested Tryon and it would be about 3 1/2 hrs away, which would be a little farther than I would want to go. Not necessarily to send the mare off for training but to be able to bring my daughter to ride and get acquainted with her. Thanks though I do appreciate the suggestion.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

hey sorry to hear about your car accident.
    your mare is gorgeous! And i agree with MVP to get the fitness on her so she is ready to be trained by someone else. but i think sending her to a pro would be a good idea. the pro riders can really speed things along with the horse's training.

what a pretty mare!! i would get her back to work yourself first (because why pay a pro thousands to do something you can very easily do yourself?) and then when she's fit, send her off somewhere
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Smile

Had a great conversation with Andrea from Glenbaer Farm. http://www.glenbaer.com We were practically finishing each other sentences about training and our methods. She also runs the Moore County Scholastic Equestrian Team (MCSET). She is even coming to our farm to meet our mare. She wont have an opening till the middle or end of April so I will be able to ride our mare and continue to slowly bring her back into shape. I also have two other appointments for other trainers as well. I am getting more and more excited about this alternative to the pony we were going to purchase!! Thanks for every-one's input. We appreciate it.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube