The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about Cross Country tack...

Hey everybody!

I don't remember if this has been posted before or not, but what kinds of saddles do you guys use for XC? Any of you have super long legs like me (17years old and 6ft)? Just out of curiosity.

Also, what are your XC colors? I'm curious! And what all do you have in your colors (saddle pads, boots, vests, etc.)?

Mine are yellow and green. Yellow saddle pad, gloves, boots, reins, bit guards, rein stops, bell boots. Yellow is obviously my favorite color...

Thanks! And good luck this season!!!
    Em
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

I ride in an Ainsley Pro National Cross Country (which I'm actually trying to sell right now ). Similar to you, I'm 5'11'' with a *long* thigh, and the Ainsley has worked really well for me.

My colors are navy, hunter, and black, and I ride in a hunter polo, with a black vest, and a navy/hunter saddle pad. Also use navy/hunter/white tape on boots and navy bells

Quote Originally Posted by ens0613 View Post
    I ride in an Ainsley Pro National Cross Country (which I'm actually trying to sell right now ). Similar to you, I'm 5'11'' with a *long* thigh, and the Ainsley has worked really well for me.

My colors are navy, hunter, and black, and I ride in a hunter polo, with a black vest, and a navy/hunter saddle pad. Also use navy/hunter/white tape on boots and navy bells
    Fun colors!
    And really? I was looking at an Ainsley a few months back but it sold before we did anything. Can I PM you about it?

Quote Originally Posted by SillyKobie View Post
    Fun colors!
    And really? I was looking at an Ainsley a few months back but it sold before we did anything. Can I PM you about it?
    Sure thing! Sent you a PM

Hey! I have pretty long legs, and I ride in a Devoucoux Chiberta XC. Expensive, but definitely worth it in my mind. They custom made the flaps for me to fit my long legs at no charge. Also, Boyd Martin is really tall (at least 6 feet) and is all legs, and he uses a Devoucoux Chiberta as well. Good luck!

Oh, and I ride in Navy and White. Saddle pad, longsleeved striped polo rugby, helmet cover.

I'm pretty long from hip to knee and I ride in a Black Country Vinici Monoflap and LOVE it! I had mine built about an inch more forward with a slightly bigger seat (it's stamped 17.5 but measures closer to an 18) It's super comfy and fits me really well.

My colors are black, white, and pink. I have a black vest with pink binding and white piping, my ulster boots are black and white, and my pad matches my vest. I have a Fox Racing jersey that I wear under my vest that is black and pink.

I have a fairly long femur and ride in an Albion K2. Very comfortable and surprisingly priced.

Light blue, dark blue and white.

Exclamation

This will all be in the past tense; I started in 1976 using an old Passier all purpose, the last two years i used a no name close contact jumping saddle
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

If you are tall and in a lower price range (like me!) the Berney Brothers Dublin jumper is nice and forward for xc. I like them so much I have 2.

I used to ride in an Ainsley Pro National (mine too is currently on the market, if it doesn't work out with ens ) but switched to a County, which fits my pony better. I use the same saddle for both jumping phases and found I like the County better to show jump in, and the Ainsley better for xc. Pity I can't keep both!
    My colors are hunter and navy (snore) and usually only present on my helmet cover and vest. Black gloves (or hunter green, if I'm feeling sassy), white polo, tan or beige breeches. Bor-ing, I know... I think I let years of reading Mr. Morris' critiques of eventing attire in Practical Horseman get to me. That and I picked them when I had my first event pony- a chestnut blanket pattern Appaloosa/Arab cross that looked atrocious in anything resembling neon/pastel or my former favorite color, red. They've served me well over the years though, and look pretty nice on every color/shape/size horse I've competed.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I just got a Barnsby Diablo and am in love with it! Im not as tall you, but I have never ridden in a saddle that my knees didnt stick over the front when short enough for xc. I pulled them up for some conditioning on monday and still had plenty of room! Cant say enough about how much I love this saddle!

My colors are white and royal blue. Usually its just a saddle pad, striped polo and tape on the boots. I had a royal blue vest but ended up trading it for a navy on in a different size. So I guess I could be white, royal blue and navy...

My saddle is a black Devoucoux Oreka. I ride in all black tack for all phases. Depending on horse, may or may not use a breastplate/running attachment. My colors are navy and burgundy with a touch of purple. For xc, navy or tan breeches, navy polo, navy vest with burgundy trim and purple piping, navy and burgundy helmet cover (helmet is CO GR8), black boots on horse, navy cotton pimple gloves, purple whip (given to me by my former trainer)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I am 5'10" and I have a Black County Tex Eventer monoflap custom fit to me and my horse. I use it for both stadium and XC. My colors are uber boring: black and white. White breeches, white shirt, black boots, vest, belt and helmet; white saddle pad, white(ish ) Woof boots. My tack is brown and I did recently get a very blingy bridle for the jumping phases.

I just bought a Barnsby Diablo and love, love, love it. When I tried it, I dropped my stirrups (yeah, not exactly a good idea in a brand new saddle - stiff leather = ouch!) and it was SO much easier to post to the trot. Not sure if it was the saddle's design or my old saddle was harder to ride in, but that helped my decision to buy it.

Oh, and my colors are navy and yellow. Not too blingy - navy helmet cover with yellow elastic band, navy blue saddle pad with yellow piping, yellow polo shirt. I have tape for his XC boots but haven't worked up the nerve to use it yet.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Thanks guys!! And neat colors!
    I can't really get better colors than yellow and green, as those are the only two I can really recognize without struggle (I'm color deficient).

I'm starting to look into getting a XC saddle to use for XC and stadium. My knees poke out over the front of my Dominus

I currently ride in a County Extreme but I had an older Ainsley Chester for awhile and that worked too.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'm short, but very long from hip-knee. I ride in an 18" Amerigo Pinerolo Monoflap. I love it. My previous coach who is over 6' used to ride comfortably in it (except for his feet wouldn't fit in my wee stirrups).

My cross country colours are neutral. White or Navy shirt, navy helmet cover, navy vest, black gloves, black boots, black bells. My horse is extremely flashy with tonnes of chrome, so I don't want to blind anyone

When I was younger (age 13-14) I had disproportianatly long legs, and had a Bates Caprilli w/ a forward flap and it fits me really well!!!! Too bad it doesnt fit the pony! Now that I have grown into my legs I have a Stubben Eidlewiess NT Deluxe and LOVE IT and it fits my horse wonderfully!!!!

My collors are red and navy but am thinking of changing them....any suggestions? I have a 16.3hh Irish Sport Horse, bay with just a star. Shes a cutie. I was thinking Navy (thats the color of my vest) and maybe yellow? Or Navy and Maroon? I dont really know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyKobie View Post
    Hey everybody!

I don't remember if this has been posted before or not, but what kinds of saddles do you guys use for XC? Any of you have super long legs like me (17years old and 6ft)? Just out of curiosity.

Em
    what up girl!
    yup, I'm a six footer. I have not changed size, shape, weight in 15 year. Once I hit 17 I stayed the same. lol.

I ride in a Pretige Eventer. XL flap. It's too small for me. But it has a flat seat so I can slide off the back if needed, and due to bad knees I can't really ride with my leg super short anywho--so for now, I'm broke and the saddle works! lol.

Dude, that is a lot of yellow.

I used to have a LOT of purple.
    Purple and Blue
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/purple.jpg

and then I had to be mature. booo!
    But I do like the white. I think it looks smashing and I do have white breeks to wear if the weather is nice. But I will usually only wear them if I'm running a champ T or UL. no more purple. booo.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...boom/white.jpg

I bought a new vest:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/RPvest.jpg
    and I want to find a lavendar polo to go with I think. And I'll keep on with the beige breeks. But the white pad has to stay. And I do love white horse boots.
    but I wore all black at the last HT because it was muddy.
    The black looks nice on my bay horse. Usually I'll only do dark breeks when running N.
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!