The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Pads Slip Back

Hi All - in the endless quest for the perfect saddle fit. Have a 14.1 Connemara cross pony - is chubby right now, but is not a total barrel and is not a super heavily built pony. Saddle pads seem to just slide right back on him, have tried various pads, and it is a consistent issue even when going for a walk. So, thinking saddle fit issue - but what issue? Have read and read and read on saddle fitting and don't see the "if your pad does this, then that is the problem" reasoning. Thoughts?

What kind pad are you using? I'd try one with the girth loops.

Right now just a quilted Dover schooling pad. I have them with and without the girth loops, and if I use the ones with, yes, the pad doesn't get a chance to slide as far back, but I don't want to ignore a potential fit problem.

It's worth getting a saddle fitting to confirm fit, but pads don't work for some horses. I can't use a baby pad on my Jumper mare as they wad up and slip around under her movement. She has to have pads with straps. Where as with my hunter....no problem with baby pads or pads without straps.

Thanks for the input. I like the saddle and it seems to fit quite well, so really not excited at the prospect of more fitting. Will try some other pads and see what the deal is.

My vet and chiro have both said the saddle is well fitted, but my mare is slippery as all get out. If it doesn't have straps it will slip, which is unfortunate because I love the look of a baby pad under her sheepskin half pad.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by CalPal View Post
    Hi All - in the endless quest for the perfect saddle fit. Have a 14.1 Connemara cross pony - is chubby right now, but is not a total barrel and is not a super heavily built pony. Saddle pads seem to just slide right back on him, have tried various pads, and it is a consistent issue even when going for a walk. So, thinking saddle fit issue - but what issue? Have read and read and read on saddle fitting and don't see the "if your pad does this, then that is the problem" reasoning. Thoughts?
    saddle pads wont help- you need to get a saddler out to measure your horse and you and then buy a saddle that fits him as well as you
    connies are chunky