The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Modifying the inside of my trailer

I have a Kingston 2 horse bumper-pull with no dressing room. I want to add some hooks and racks to the front component of the trailer. What is the best way to attach said things without compromising the trailer? ie Screwing through the frame to attach saddle racks mounted on a board - Good Idea? Bad Idea? Alternative methods?

Thanks!

Just be careful screwing that stuff in as sometimes there are wires run through the frame. My old trainer "fixed up" the dressing room in one of her trailers (Featherlite) and when we went to leave one weekend, the lights were doing weird things. It turns out there were screws into some of the wires..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

You should just get a new trailer and sell me yours really cheap since it doesn't have hooks and racks.
    ; - )
    A friend of mine has a Kingston and I LOVE it. Sorry, no suggestions, but I'll be watching this thread in case I ever get lucky enough to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyUHC View Post
    You should just get a new trailer and sell me yours really cheap since it doesn't have hooks and racks.
    ; - )
    A friend of mine has a Kingston and I LOVE it. Sorry, no suggestions, but I'll be watching this thread in case I ever get lucky enough to have one.
    Haha thanks. Thus far I lilke it. I have only been able to use it twice as I didn't have a truck. ( I bought it cheap off a friend - to good of a deal to pass up) but now that I have a truck we are going to be traveling machines! I love to show, but I also love trail riding. Nothing like seeing the world on the back of a horse. So it's time to make some mods to the trailer!

For anyone that is interested - I spoke with a great knowledgeable woman at horsetraileraccessorystore.com who gave me a few suggestions. It is fine to set it in the frame without damaging it. So today I went to home depot picked up a 2x8" pressure treated board, some 3" lug bolts, and a metal drill bit. The plan in to stain the board, then drill 6 1" holes in the frame, match it with the board and drill them in. Then I will add 2 saddle racks to that and a few other hooks so that I can secure my tack trunk from sliding.
    I'm also going to add a wrap rack to the door and then a vinal sheet to protect it from the horse. I have the prong hooks currently haning from part of the frame which works but the hope is to add a real wood bridle rack also. That is still to be determined.

If anyone has any other ideas please let meknow.

And thanks for the heads up on the electric in the frame, I probably wouldn't have thought about it!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Before and after pics are mandatory, you know!
    I think you have a great idea, here.

One thing with the saddle racks... maybe get something like this so the saddle doesn't slide off and slip under your horses feet while traveling. Just my 2 cents.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    Before and after pics are mandatory, you know!
    I think you have a great idea, here.

One thing with the saddle racks... maybe get something like this so the saddle doesn't slide off and slip under your horses feet while traveling. Just my 2 cents.
    Ahh I never saw those! I was just thinking of using a bungee cord from the saddle rack to a hook, but that is much classier looking.
    Pictures I can do!

Make sure you consider the size of the space in the nose of the trailer. I considered doing this with my older 2h BP, but mine just doesn't have enough room. The bridles and saddles would be right under horsey noses, so they would get covered in hay, and the bridles would swing around into horsey area. Plus, two of mine think leather is a tasty snack.

I have opted to just keep using the back of the Suburban as a mobile tack room instead.

I do want to put the spare tire into the nose of the trailer though. It's too hot down here to have it on the side, and it's taking up a lot of room in my truck.