The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Improving my seat and good discovery

In the last past months, my goal was to improve my seat balance, to stop messing with my hands.

Through the visualisation of a rock in my haunches, I was able to feel myself stiking to the saddle. That feels great !

This led me to some surprising discovery;

1- I had fear of losing control of the horse so comes that bad habbit to get the reins and stiff my upper body;
    2- I had no confidence in my horse; felt he could use my relaxation to bolt or do silly thing

BUT I saw my big young guy getting more relaxed than ever !!! WOW I was happy !

This led to a big change again in my riding and boy it feels good ! I now use again less and less aids, and just sticking to my seat, all my upper body get so relaxe, elastic elbows. It seems that with that exercices, I know when my horse is behind or too much rushy and I am not dealing with several movements to get him into place...just ride the movement and adjusting little things.

I was also more aware of the timing of the aids.. Something I am working on right now.

Just want to share with all of you !
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Good for you. I like the rock idea! I want an Ahhhhh breakthrough too!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Default hey Leena, me too

Hi Leena, how are you? I am so glad to see you post.

My mare had an injury in december - tendon sheath on right hind, we think a kick or she smacked into a post in turnout....anyway, she had some time off and then started back slowly - just walking. I used the time to set the 'RESET' button to make myself relax with my other mare (her daughter) and quit with the tense shoulders, elbows, etc being scared of her taking off.

So, as we started back, she was REALLY forward in the walk, happy camper to tromp around the indoor (in our lousy snowy weather). Then we started on trot, same thing, she is really lively, again, happy to move OUT, and I am winging down the long side just keeping my legs on and shoulders back.

This last week we have started canter again (a little). Again, forward and back SO MUCH better being relaxed. She is light, light, light on the bit and going up and down as I ask in transitions in the gaits. We are still having short sessions and I find trying to do just a little bit each session gets us to a good effort rather than being too ambitious.

Anyway, glad to hear from you.

Hoping for spring soon here...

Best, Mollie
    forwård...go forward

Thanks Molly !!!

About the seat, I could not believe how relax I am now, using my abdos the right way..This can be so simple !
    I always thought I was too strong for my horse but turn this into good riding was not a piece of cake and still.

I felt with this seat discovery I made a huge step ! It seems that everything comes in place and horse is happy, relax and willing.

As for the disease, well let's say I enjoy everyday for what it brings; I am still riding but I have to rest and being a nice girl, I do !

Here is my work with my 3.5 years old filly, a Dutch/Tb probably will bright in the hunter ring but she enjoy dressage too !

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...tos/galop3.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rlatrot2-1.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rlatrot3-1.jpg
    Élène

Default she's a beauty

Hey Leena, thanks for the pics, they look great! My older mare is dutch/tb. :-) (I totally love her). Lots of fun. Very lively, in a good way.

I agree, the relaxation of torso, WITH balance of seat, and light aids. Wow. Having a great time.

Keep up the good work!
    forwård...go forward

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oh my GOSH Elene! Your pics of your filly just completely put me to shame!

She looks FABULOUS!

Good for you for the discoveries. Sharing them helps us all. It took me close to 30 years to discover how to SIT on my horse, rather than hover above him. But I still need to learn to let go more. I hold too much in my seat.

VERY glad to see an update from you, and very inspiring photos. Hope you are feeling well. You are often in my thoughts & prayers.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Thanks...

Actually she is so much fun to work with. This is just 2 months training and beside, we went in trails, met cows, a dear and some gooses. She has a super attitude, exactly what I needed to improve my seat on a non bolting youngster, a non spooky one. Great winter work; she is back at the farm for a rest and already looking to work again.

Anyone would feel healthy on her.

My visualisation to see a big stone makes me feel very stable in my saddle.
    This way I really understood how to be heavy in my seat, sitting is easier and deeper. Then working with my abdos gave me another feeling of strenght and efficiency.

I love dressage !
    Last edited by Leena; Mar. 2, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
    Élène