The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Featherlite Trailer

I have a friend interested to buy a used Featherlite trailer. I don't know a thing about this brand of trailer. The one she's found is a 2001 2-horse straight load, step-up with a dressing room. 7'3" high and 6' wide. Her horses are 16.3H and 17H. Do you think her horses will fit in this trailer? Any comments about the brand of Featherlite that I can pass on to her.
    Thanks for your time.

6' wide is very small - I'm thinking it should be wider than that. If that's all it is, her horses will be too long and too wide to be comfortable. 7' is more the norm and 8' is an extra wide trailer. It may not seem like it, but the extra 12" really makes a difference with horses that size.

Quote Originally Posted by buggygal View Post
    I have a friend interested to buy a used Featherlite trailer. I don't know a thing about this brand of trailer. The one she's found is a 2001 2-horse straight load, step-up with a dressing room. 7'3" high and 6' wide. Her horses are 16.3H and 17H. Do you think her horses will fit in this trailer? Any comments about the brand of Featherlite that I can pass on to her.
    Thanks for your time.
    I'm on Featherlight Number Three. I vote with my dollars.

As to this one, height might not be an issue, but width can be. You can't know unless you measure them or try them out. You only need to test one, the widest. If it fits the narrower one will, too.

As with any brand, Featherlight has had some issues with some trailers in some years. I'm not sure which years might have issues. Mine were an '82 six horse AL stock, a '93 two horse AL straightload (very low end), and a 2002 AL four horse slant load with a weekender LQ. I have had no warranty issues with any unit.

Make sure that your friend spends some time with her flashlight inspecting the trailer in places "where the Sun doesn't shine." If she feels "challenged" in this then pay somebody who's more qualified to do a "PPE" on the trailer. Remember that you're looking at something that's 8 years old and has been hauling "portable manure generation units." That means there will likely be some "rash" on trailer; don't expect "show room" condition.

Do a good eval and if the price is right and horses fit then I'd say buy it!!!

G.

They tend to be a bit closed in esp. if its the one with the built in hay area at the front of the stall - not too much light at the end of the tunnel when you are trying to load even if all the doors and windows are open.

Borrowed a featherlite to pick up DD's horse when we first got him - he got on ok, rode ok, came off ok but would NOT get back on it. He was the 2nd horse I knew that wouldn't get on that trailer - both TBs around 16.3. That said, the owners TB/draft cross hops on there all the time so it will just depend on the horse.

I bought a used 2002 Featherlite Straight load bumper pull trailer with dressing room. It is 7'6" tall. Not sure of the width. It was a step up, but the previous owners added a ramp. Trailer is awesome. I have had hauled numerous horses and they all loved it. The tallest horse I hauled was 16.3 hand warmblood and she fit fine. Other than putting new tires on it, it has had no maintenance issues. I have it inspected once a year along with being detailed. I would say if it fits your horses go for it.

I have a 1993 Featherlite. I bought it new. It's a 2 horse straight load with the hugest dressing room I've ever seen in a trailer. I've not had any problems with it. Have it checked out periodically, have had it acid washed a few times. I did replace all the metal screws with stainless screws about 10 years ago since they were starting to rust.

I keep thinking I should get a new trailer, but none of the new ones have nearly as big a dressing room, and truthfully there's nothing reallly _wrong_ with it. I periodically look at new trailers when they're at the rodeo, etc. but just can't really justify getting a new one. Although I do have to wonder, just how long WILL an aluminum trailer last? The only things not aluminum are the axels and the hitch. And I had the hitch taken off, sandblasted and repainted a few years ago.

I've had numerous horses during its tenure and all have ridden quietly.

Thumbs up Featherlite trailer

I was able to pick up a nearly new Featherlite 2 horse BP step-up with mangers and a dressing room in 2000. It has hauled everything from a mini (with temporary modifications so he would stay put!) to 17HH quarter horse crosses, as well as a wide warmblood/draft cross. It moved my 2 16.2 HH mares 700 miles to our current home while holding more stuff than anyone would haul on an average basis. The removable divider rail makes turning a horse who can't/won't back off easy as well as adapting it to haul hay and other bulky items. It has lived outside for all these years and looks as good as new. (I get the brakes checked regularly and have the tires inspected for aging.) The newer models have larger windows (I wish mine were bigger) but look unchanged aside from that. If money were not an object (yeah, right!!!) I would get another one in a minute.

I have a 1994 Featherlite three horse GN slant load that I bought used last year for a great price. I really like it. It tows very well and is plenty big for the maximum two horses that I take anywhere. It has had new brakes and tires recently. The hitch could use some fresh paint but I will get to that this spring. Make sure that you pick up the mats and evaluate the flooring. If the prior owner never cleaned it out it could be pretty corroded. Good luck!

A friend of mine has a featherlite that fits her big horses very easily. She got the biggest model she could and added a ramp, but her smallest horse is like 16.1. Even my big guy (around 17.1 and picky about trailers) didn't feel claustrophobic on her trailer. He was more concerned about the ramp than the size of the trailer and he's only been in my big 4 horse before hers. Even with 2 big horses there's plenty of room for everyone.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

I'm trying to figure out where to find good, well priced , used bumper pull with a tack room - not so easy! Any ideas would be appreciated!
    FYI I'm in CT.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorybee View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where to find good, well priced , used bumper pull with a tack room - not so easy! Any ideas would be appreciated!
    FYI I'm in CT.
    Since there is neither TrailerFax nor TrailerMax you're kind of on your own, don't you know!!!

The best bet is to put "used horse trailers" into Google and start browsing through the half dozen or so major on line sites for what you want. It's a time consuming process but about the best you can do.

You can also locate the largest trailer retailers near you and do a couple of "road trips." It's a lot easier and cheaper to "let your fingers do the walking" (as much as possible). The telephone is still a valuable research tool.

Good luck in your search.

G.