The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keeping floor under trailer mats dry?

I pulled up my mats and there is moisture under them. Anyone have suggestions for laying cornstarch or a thin layer of other substance to help with this minor accumulation of moisture in between the time I pull up the mats? My last trailer had mats glued to the floor.

Thanks!

Maybe lyme sprinkled under the mats?

I wouldn't go sprinkling anything unless I were certain it wouldn't eat holes in the floor. Cornstarch might change the nature of the fluid from fluid to wet cornstarch, but it'll still be wet. And wet is the enemy of trailer floors.

I think you have to pull the mats and let them dry if you really want to do everything possible to keep them from holding moisture.

And let me say God Bless WERM flooring, because I loathe hauling mats after every ride, and my mares consider the trailer a rolling porta-potty. Best thing I ever did for my trailer.
    Click here before you buy.

My first thought had been lyme as well...but since the floor is aluminum (I guess..looks like it and is a 4 star) I wasn't sure it wouldn't eat holes.

I will research WERM flooring...is there anything more about it that you can share? Can it be installed post manufacturing/aftermarket? I am on maternity "rest" for 6 months so now would be the time to do it if it takes a while.

Thanks for any input!

Mine was installed last fall in a trailer that's 10 years old. It's an aluminum floor, and had some areas of corrosion but the floor was basically still sound. We had the corroded parts cut out and I ordered some new flooring directly from Sundowner (*gasp*, yes, I own one) and had those panels delivered directly to the welding shop where I had the trailer for the floor work. It needed about a 3 x 4 foot section replaced; they cut out the old stuff and welded the new pieces right in. Then I had the floor acid washed and drove it down to the WERM guy, who lives out in the sticks not far from me. He did it in one day, I think I had to let it "set" for a few days before I put horses in it, but that was it. No more hauling mats. Yay!

It's very rugged, molds right to the floor with no place for fluids to sneak underneath, and is the same consistency as a rubber mat, nice and nubbly so not slippery at all. Weighs about the same and is the same thickness as rubber mats. Cost me $1000 to do a 2H straight load, average-sized trailer.
    Click here before you buy.

If mine is going to sit for a week or so, and it's been humid, I slide a couple 1"x2" under the mats to get some air flow under there and keep it dry.

Everybody I know with WERM likes it, if my trailer was aluminum I would have had it installed.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Thanks for the input. Is there any big difference in the certified WERM installers? ie would I go wrong with one over the other here in FL? Does any one have a specific one in FL to recommend? I have already contacted Haylo.

Thanks again!

OMG, I want this.......how to convince DH to replace nearly new mats (which he has to replace when I pull them).........
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I might use a few plastic milk crates and shove them under the mats around the edges to lift the mats up and let air circulate. Wouldn't the wood hold water , or stay damp in spring, damp weather? although I have done that, too.

Wouldn't you know it, WERM does not have any installers in Florida?! In fact the closest location to Floridians is Tennessee!!

So, short of that, I have picked up one mat and stood it on its end and elevated the other on synthetic fence posts.

Any other suggestions for permanent flooring similar to WERM?

rumbar - it's thick sheets of recycled rubber, but it is costly to replace and the trailer has to have enough supports in it to install it. I wouldn't advise it unless you need to replace your floor as it's not cheap.

I had it in the first two trailers I owned and LOVED it! It comes with lifetime warranty, wears great, and the best thing there's no need for rubber mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart's Journey View Post
    rumbar - it's thick sheets of recycled rubber, but it is costly to replace and the trailer has to have enough supports in it to install it. I wouldn't advise it unless you need to replace your floor as it's not cheap.

I had it in the first two trailers I owned and LOVED it! It comes with lifetime warranty, wears great, and the best thing there's no need for rubber mats.
    That is what most everyone around here has in their stock trailers now for many years.
    We have yet to see one need replacing, but you do need to be sure there are sufficient supports underneath for that kind of "rubber lumber" planks.

Rumbar also seems to be easier on horses, a little bit more cushiony than regular wood with asphalt or mats., at least for some horses around here, for what their owners said.

I am planning to put a layer of oil-based primer on the floor of my trailer when I repaint the inside. It will keep the water from absorbing into the wood as much. Otherwise, I don't remove the mate entirely. The front of the trailer doesn't seem to get wet at all, so I just flip them up and fold them over. It allows the back to dry, but I don't have to haul the mats out and back in.

I polyurethaned the wood. Helped a lot to protect it from trapped moisture and it was cheap.