The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brands of Manure Spreaders?

Well, old bessie (the manure spreader) might finally be giving up. She is currently marooned in the middle of field mostly full with muck (and a broken chain).

So, been thinking of replacing her now that she is entering her 4th decade.

What brands are in the market these days? These are the brands I can name off the top of my head (in order of perceived quality). Thoughts on ranking or other manufacturers?

New Idea
    Pequea
    Mill Creek
    H&S
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

New Holland my very favorite - built to last ! Have two Mill Creeks ~ one old one came with the property seemed ok didn't last long but as I stated was old to begin with so we purchased a new Mill Creek - ~ bad idea = sitting in the shed = filmsy and not worth the effort to use ~ always breaking down parts are very fragile ~ IMHO
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thanks Zu Zu. I would love to have another spreader to last for decades...

However, it looks like New Holland may be out of the manure spreading busness, as nary a mention of it on their website.

http://agriculture.newholland.com/us.../products.aspx

OH ! WHO KNEW ~ I DID NOT ! SORRY ! Will anxiously be reading which model everyone recommends instead of New Holland.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Are you sure that the old one cannot be fixed? I am using one from the 50's that sat in my farm neighbor's yard for 20 years. We replaced the main bed chain for about $350, sprayed a lot of PB Blaster and Kroil and it works fine. Any of these new units will run $1500-2500 plus depending upon their size. I like the gauge of steel on the old units just the way I like the gauge of steel on my 97 GMC pick up. New ones today are made of tinfoil, but of course they get fabulous fuel economy.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1317655085

Ours died last week too. A huge, elderly 175 Gehl. Chains shifted out the side, DH not sure if it's something he can fix.

In addition to the ones mentioned, check out Conestoga. Not promoting it, but it is one that seemed interesting for the price. We are going to try and take a look at one this weekend. This hand-spreading in the snow is getting old. Wish we didn't have to spend the $$ for it right now.
    Last edited by BellaLuna; Mar. 2, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

We currently have a John Deere speader which we love. After going thru a Millcreek and an Akey, this one (knock wood) has been maintenance free for the last 6 years.

Would buy another one in a second. 18 horses, gets used every day.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

If the chain is all that's wrong with it, I'd just replace the broken link. Everyone I know who has owned a spreader for any length of time has broken a chain from overloading it. Usually, it's from trying to spread composted manure that has turned into dirt. They aren't really made for spreading dirt.

Of course, the chain will at some time rust out anyway, but it's no big deal replacing it. The chains just fold together and usually you don't even need tools. The worst part is having to shovel out what's in it with the broken chain.

After getting quotes, I am gob-smacked at pricing for a new one. It has been death by parts. In the last year, I have replaced the floor, sprocket on the apron chain, new inner tubes in the tires and a few links on the chain.

Yesterday, I ordered the new apron chain assembly. It's my last "olive branch" of friendship. I am hoping to get a few more years out of it, but it's getting to danged expensive to keep maintaining (and time consuming to source really old components).

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I guess you found Macnair's.

http://www.macknair.com/NIspreaderparts.htm

Shoup as great prices on spreader chain for many different companies. Might be worth looking at parts prices to get an idea of upkeep on certain brands.

http://www.shoupparts.com/catalog/list.cfm?fldID=95070

Quote Originally Posted by Unprovoked92 View Post
    Shoup as great prices on spreader chain for many different companies. Might be worth looking at parts prices to get an idea of upkeep on certain brands.

http://www.shoupparts.com/catalog/list.cfm?fldID=95070
    Eureka! They have one nice comprehensive list of manufacturers!

badger
    balzer
    big blue
    case-ih
    farmhand
    forage king
    gehl
    Massey Ferguson
    H&S
    Hesston
    John Deere
    Kaston
    Kelly Ryan
    knight
    Minnesota
    New Holland
    New Idea - Agco
    Schultz

You are missing Mill Creek from that list.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I have an H & S spreader which has been wonderful for nearly 20 years. I recently replaced the apron chain on it.

I bought a used Millcreek 25 recently for $450, and hired a hauler to bring it from Indiana to NY, so total cost of about $700. Had to buy a tube for one tire, and replace a cable a couple of months later, but it has been a great buy! We can clean the whole barn of 13-14 horses and on a good day, spread it only once, if they've been in more or the stalls are dirtier then we might have to spread it twice....I LOVE IT! However, hubby decided we had to buy a new 4-wheeler and traded his old one in, so there went any savings! LOLOL

Depending on the number of horses and your work habits you might want to consider a NewerSpreader.
    I have 10 horses and the larger model with beater. It takes two loads to spread one day's worth of manure if they are in overnight. Or I can take 2 loads down to the manure heap so spreading it doesn't take any longer and I like the fact that it grinds up the manure and drops it straight down rather than flinging it out the back. It takes about a 100 yard pass to spread a load.

However:
    I bed with pellets. The NewerSpreader would probably work with shavings but not straw. My horses don't waste hay, either.
    I never leave bedding in the spreader over night. It gets dumped immedietly or left in a muck tub.
    I pull it with a golf cart, previously used an old riding mower, since deceased.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Sorry about the hijack, but Carolprudm, I think we're related by horse. We have Penmerryl's MoonShadow, who I believe is Sophie's full bro.

Millcreek! http://www.millcreekspreaders.com

My dad sells & services Millcreek spreaders occasionally, and they are awesome! Big money for a new one, but a great investment if you take care of them right. Buying (gently) used is a great way to save.

The newer models have a spray in bed liner and dolly wheel so you can roll them right down the aisle as you muck, no lifting or tractor required.
    Professional COTH lurker.
    Horses serve as a balm for the disquieted soul, and somehow allow even the most lost to feel at home in their presence ♥

vaguely on this topic...what do people do with old implements like manure spreaders when they die? I hate to just park it "out back" and look at it for decades.

Depends on the number of horses. Little ones are OK for 2-4 horses, but 10 or more require full sized machines and generally are PTO driven. We bought a Kuhn through John Deere dealer and it has worked well for 3 years except for eating a belt a year.