The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts about my horses progress...

http://www.facebook.com/v/505126880594

(turn the volume down when you watch, I had to cover up some talking and the music is a little loud!)

I was hoping to get some feedback on the progress my horse is making. I don't have a "before" video, but the issue I have been working with him on is relaxing everything. He is not an easy horse, on top of the fact that he is 18h (super long stride), so when he was being worked, most people would bunch him into a little ball and he'd bounce, sometimes with a well placed buck thrown in. I have taken him back to flatwork basics, and just calmly brought him back to stretching out and moving forward out of the ball. You can see in this video, he still gets angry and will bunch up, but he calms down quickly.
    What do you think? Is he working in a good way? He's going in a plain snaffle and I try to ride him on the buckle as often as I can right now. I ride at home, and most of the time have nobody to bounce ideas off of. Any suggestions on what to do with him now to progress further? He is primarily a jumper, but I don't think he is ready for showing yet, so he can head in any direction!
    Oh! Any please excuse the equitation, it's been years since I've been able to take a lesson and focus on myself, I know my position is a mess!
    Last edited by CTDarkhorse045; Mar. 1, 2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fixed video ... I think!

says video unavailable
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

cant see the video...do you have it set at public?
    "A horse is an Angel without wings"

Sorry about that! I think it should work now!

What I see is that you are doing really really BAD and he needs to come to me RIGHT NOW!! Really, I like him alot. You look like your doing well with him. What I'd suggest is not to have him on the buckle so much and give him a little contact. He really is looking for some contact so let him know your there and gather a little for him. I like that your letting him figure himself out though. Also your hands are a little bouncing in the canter. Try to quiet those hands and give him a little contact and he should quiet his head. Hard to tell in the trot about the hands, the video is hard to see well. Hold him more with your inside leg on the turns to give him support in the turn, he is a big boy and can fall out of balance really quick I'm sure. Also give him that outside leg to support his outside hip. He wants to throw it a little. He looks good though and could make I nice horse for someone I bet but give him the contact and quiet the hands and see how that goes.

ETA: just watched it again, if you watch in the trot when he throws his head its because your hands are getting a little to handsy for him. Keep them quiet and calm. Also when he wants to ball up or drop to low don't correct him with your hands, push him more forward from the seat and hands and he should correct himself. Correcting with your hands is working his front end and not the back ; )

Thanks I'm working on the hands, I think thats why I'm so keen to let him go on a loose rein, I can't help but fuss with him sometimes, and he was fussed with so much at one point in the past, I hate to mess with him much.

The other thing is unfortunately he has become a one person horse, anyone else that gets on him, they don't even have a chance to let their butt hit the saddle before he starts trying to buck. I don't know how to get him past that either. I would like to let other people ride him, but its an immediate fight with him! Any suggestions for helping him to accept other riders? There were a lot of people that were "training" him before I got him. His old owner is an amazing rider, but no interest in jumpers so there were a few people would take turns working him, which made his issues worse...I've spent all this time trying to make him sane again... now nobody else can get on but me! Any suggestions for helping them accept other riders?

I have a horse that was like this. He took so much crap thru his life that by the time he found me and I treated him kindly that he decided he was done with others. That included my husband The bad thing is though he never got over this and is now retired because of knee problems (which came from previous owners not properly letting him heal after injuries). Its a hard thing to do once a horse gets this in their head. Some people are going to argue and so noo nooo its just bad manners and bad horse etc... but I think horses are not so much different than us. They can only take so much until they are done! I would suggest you riding him first and working him well and then let someone else get on and cool him down. Loose rein, just walk for 10 min. and thats it. Do this for a while until he relizes that not everyone is bad and not everyone is going to work him in the ground or make him hurt. As this keeps going then add you working him to a point and let that person get on and finish some trot work and then cool down. Do this with as many people as you can. I've found in my experiences that some horses just never get over it and they are done but most do get over it and do well with a little love and care

ETA: if he has a problem of not letting people on his back before bucking even after you've worked him then teach him to flex from the ground and undersaddle. Flex him until he gives and his nose touches your toe or close to it. This way you can flex him while mounting which will help with the bucking while mounting. If you need help learing how to flex him let me know.

Thank you for the suggestions! I wil have to start working on all of it this week!