The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rehab horse too fat any thoughts

What do you do when your very easy keeper rehab warmblood is barely being fed anything and too fat? My gelding looked great at 1100lbs four year back not over weight or anything. He was a bit big when he went to his MRI at 1200lbs 2 years ago. Now vet measures him again at 1350lbs he is a 16h.h. lame with a fusing pastern hope is he will be sound sometimes this winter once the pastern is fully fused. Now with issues I really would like him on the lean side for his joints 1100 to 1150lbs would probablly be perfect. He is currently getting a ration balancer which is otter co op All phase lite and four flakes local hay he has been cleared for 10 minutes daily handwalking, he is still intermittently lame at the walk he also gets a small paddock gets rechecked in June. Any thoughts or seggestions greatly appreciated!

What type of hay? Is he on grass?

Default Have the vet check T3 and T4 levels

If they are low he might well benefit from Thyro-L.

Halve the balancer pellets, see if that helps.

MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I have got two very easy keeper geldings, previously on ration balancer, some r/s/r beet pulp, and free choice (but restricted in quantity) clean but lower quality and low nsc grass hay. They live out 24/7, walking nearly all day long, one is in light work, the other retired and they are both still too fat.

I didn't want to give up the beet pulp because I love wet roughage, and I don't want to restrict hay even further else they're start chewing on things, so I dropped the ration balancer in exchange for a forage balancer mix (uckele). The only real difference is the lack of protein. The buckeye grow n' win I was feeding is quite high protein which (if I understand correctly) can be converted into fat if fed in excess (for that individual horse's needs).

My senior retiree has already lost a good bit of weight and is looking and moving vastly better. The younger guy is always slow to change anything but is very slightly more svelte than a few weeks ago. Sadly he got picky and didn't like the forage balancer so he gets 4 alfalfa cubes too.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    What type of hay? Is he on grass?
    He is on just local grass hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    If they are low he might well benefit from Thyro-L.

Halve the balancer pellets, see if that helps.

MW
    I thyroid was tested last year and normal but I could test it again.

I am sorry not quite sure what "halve the balancer pellets" means.

Thankyou both for the replies!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Less food is the glib answer. The hay seems reasonable and is probably keeping him entertained. I'd reduce the amount of balancer pellets and see what that gets you.
    The Evil Chem Prof

My geldings thyroid tested fine several times but when his weight skyrocketed to 1460 lbs. we put him on Thyro L and he lost over 260 lbs. in three months. It is really cheap ($22 per month) and very few side effects.

With Fharoah being lame and rehabbing he really doesn't need any extra weight. It can really stress his joints. Obviously he cannot be worked and his diet seems reasonable so I would talk to your regular vet about Thyro L to help him.

You might also try soaking his hay for at least 30 minutes to help reduce the sugars.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    I am sorry not quite sure what "halve the balancer pellets" means.
    Cut the ration balancer in half
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I hear you... When Jax went to MRI last year, he could barely fit on the table, and they had to hold various parts of him from slipping I was given a firm- he has to lose at least 350lbs from the vet.
    Jax was in a stall with daily handwalking, but no turnout or riding. He was getting 2 flakes of grass hay a day and a small scoop of senior formula for lunch. I could tell he was not a happy camper, but he was losing the belly.
    Nibblenet is your best friend.

My boy got a bit rotund when he was on stall rest. When I started the under saddle portion of rehab, his girth had gone from being on holes 2 and 3 to one and one...and that was a tight fit. he was eating hay only.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Soak the hay and replace the RB with a pelleted source of protein and minerals.like Linpro. Extra weight on his leg cannot be good and I would have to seriously start thinking that restricting movement is becoming no longer a viable option.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thankyou all for the replies. The supplement he is on was recommended by the nutritionist it is pelleted complete vitamins and minerals no grain but he is sposed to get 6 cups daily which is not working guess I should take him off of that. He has 60 feet includding his stall but it is being expanded each month. He gets rechecked in June and hopefully can return to full turnout.

Default Why thank you EQTrainer!

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Soak the hay and replace the RB with a pelleted source of protein and minerals.like Linpro. Extra weight on his leg cannot be good and I would have to seriously start thinking that restricting movement is becoming no longer a viable option.
    That is a very good suggestion.
    You would only give him 4-6 oz of LinPro, about a cupful. Thus supplying way fewer calories.

And a way to slow down the hay intake would probably help, so that he can spend more time eating less hay.

Some kind of hay net with very small holes.

MW

I agree with trying a hay net with smaller holes, in addition to cutting out some of the ration balancer. I'd also talk to your vet and see if you can do any controlled exercise, like maybe hand-walking him up a hill a couple times a day.

Get hay tested for WSC and starch at Dairy One. Because of the cool summer in the northern half of the US last year, I am seeing a lot of very high WSC hay. Then find hay that contains less, or soak hay in lots of water to remove some. I agree about finding a more concentrated form of vit/min.

Default .

Yes I should get the hay tested and start soaking. I think the balancer has to change to vitamin supplement as minimal as possible.

Unfortunetly I have discovered my horse can walk slightly unhil but not down hill, just walking him up our driveway is very slightly uphill coming back down he just to tends to go quite lame at the walk. He is mostly sound at in our ring which is flat and soft so think I have to stick to that until recheck by the middle of June. I have talked to my surgeon about this as I really worry about him at times but he told me he is optimistic and to be patient so as he walked down our driveway very lame two days ago I have been quite apprehensive but just have to wait another month for recheck I am a bit of an obsessive concerner.

You at COTH have been amazing support!

I trim a pony whose thyroid was tested normal, but he kept getting fatter and fatter. Then he foundered - and has had recurring laminitis. They put him on Thryol-L and he is a sleek little svelte thing now. Not 100% sound but definitely healing and significantly better than he was.

He was being given less and less hay, no extras, and he just kept getting fatter and crestier. Starving him wasn't the answer so they didn't have anything to lose with the thyroid medication. I feel it saved him from a life ending founder.

I don't like the Lin-Pro, it isn't balanced. But the SmartVite line is excellent. It is highly concentrated so you're talking 1-2 tiny smart pak wells (less than a handfull) versus cups of a ration balancer.

I have an IR mare. I've found that if she is fed several times per day or has a hay net, she actually loses weight even if she's not getting additional exercise. The logic being that keeping their metabolism revved up will burn more calories. If she gets the exact same hay but split into only two meals, she starts packing on the pounds again.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I don't like the Lin-Pro, it isn't balanced. But the SmartVite line is excellent. It is highly concentrated so you're talking 1-2 tiny smart pak wells (less than a handfull) versus cups of a ration balancer.
    Oh really, exactly what isn't balanced please?
    MW