The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default West Nile Vaccine RECALL

I didn't do a search bc I was in a hurry, but thought this needed to be posted on here... it just came in my email from a reliable source!

Intervet Schering-Plough has announced an urgent recall of

PreveNile® West Nile Virus vaccine.

Intervet Schering-Plough has announced an urgent recall of all serial numbers of PreveNile® West Nile Virus vaccine for horses due to an increased number of adverse event reports associated with the use of these vaccines. According to a letter distributed by the manufacturer, the USDA has been alerted of this recall.

The recalled serial numbers include one-dose and five-dose vials of the vaccine.

Veterinarians with any of these serial numbers in stock should contact their distributor to arrange for the product’s return.

In an April 28 letter to veterinarians, the company states: “This recall is being conducted because Intervet has identified increased incidence of adverse events related to currently marketed serials.”

For PreveNile One-Dose, those series include:

Serials for PreveNile Five-Dose include:

Intervet’s statement does not indicate numbers or types of adverse event reports tied to PreveNile or the incidents’ severity.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Thanks for posting!
    My vet is due for vaccinations next week & WN is on the list.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I heard about this last week from my vet, who was here doing spring shots. She'd tried to reorder and was told no can do because of the recall. She was surprised because she'd had fewer reactions with this particular vacc.

Posted on ABR forum:

Some of these vaccines were distributed to horse rescues as a part of the UHVRC "free vaccination" program. We know because we received some and they were recalled - thankfully before we administered them. So please rescues that received free west nile vaccines under this program CHECK your vaccines' numbers before administering them...

SCTB Rescue Wiki SCTB Rescue Website

Our two oldest horses have an appointment for spring shots and "the works" Friday.
    I will print and take that, just in case.

The other horses are at the handicapped therapy program and got their shots a few weeks ago.
    They are fine, so I guess they didn't get that kind?

So, what are "adverse events" in relation to this particular recall?

And what does that mean to me... an average horse owner with 5
    horses already vaccinated with said product this year?

J

If horses are already vaccinated, even with those lots, they're fine.

I've been reading that reactions are pretty instant, though I am only getting 2nd hand (and 3rd, and 4th) about what the reactions are. "they" say there have been anaphylactic reactions resulting in death, but "they" say it took an hour or two for that to happen Mostly what I've been hearing - again, all heresay - is abnormally large numbers of, and more severe reactions, similar to what typically already happens - swollen injection sites, fever, lethargy, etc.

So, essentially, I haven't heard anything definitive about what the reactions really are.

I've posted this on Off Course since I think a lot of people go there as well.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo-ace View Post
    So, what are "adverse events" in relation to this particular recall?

And what does that mean to me... an average horse owner with 5
    horses already vaccinated with said product this year?

J
    The ones I've heard of have been local inflammation, fever and depression.

No first hand experience with them, just reports from colleagues.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Mine was vaccinated with Prevenile in mid-April and had a fairly large and odd shaped swelling at the injection site. The injection site also appeared to be quite itchy for him. No fever or loss of appetite or any other reaction. He's fine now. The swelling was gone within about 24 hours.

ETA: And yes, I did notify the vet and coordinate on monitoring/treatment for the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    If horses are already vaccinated, even with those lots, they're fine.

I've been reading that reactions are pretty instant, though I am only getting 2nd hand (and 3rd, and 4th) about what the reactions are. "they" say there have been anaphylactic reactions resulting in death, but "they" say it took an hour or two for that to happen Mostly what I've been hearing - again, all heresay - is abnormally large numbers of, and more severe reactions, similar to what typically already happens - swollen injection sites, fever, lethargy, etc.

So, essentially, I haven't heard anything definitive about what the reactions really are.

Mine had a very high fever, high resps, drooling and swelling at the site within about an hour of vaccinating.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

CoolMeadows, thanks - are they ok now?

It was just the one horse out of five, and he came around with some cold hosing, dex and IV banamine. Intervet paid for the emergency vet fee. I'm just glad I decided against giving it to the pregnant mare!
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery