The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good source for stock whip/hunting whip?

We had our first encounter with a bad dog this weekend. Would like to invest in a stock whip? Hunting whip?

I am not open to sprays, paint balls, etc. I'm really only interested in input around whips to assist in this sort of scenario.

Perfect question for the hunting forum. Folks there will have a field day helping you out, and even point you to some real bargains, and give you pointers on how to use it.

I used mine to save one of my goats. That dog looked awfully surprised that my arm suddenly got several feet longer.

Cracking a hunt whip and actually getting the target is a well honed skill, let alone breaking your horse to the whip. Good luck!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

My horses are whip-broke in terms of the popping and cracking, they'll be fine in that regard. I appreciate your concern. Will move this to the Hunting forum.

You might be able to locate an Australian stock whip, give that a try. They are designed for use on horseback and hitting the item you aim at. Not sure of your skill, I saw a person on the ground almost take off their own ear with it. Nothing like using a lunge whip, probably not like a hunt whip either, since they are not built the same.

To protect my horse, I would do some practice with whip in the barnyard first, see if I can hit anything. Then practice from horseback with ground targets. Being used to the sound of whips popping, then having the long lash snake over the hindquarters in the swing, not at all the same. Swinging lash to get things in motion is air time, and YOU have to be good at swinging to prevent hurting horse or yourself.

Personally, I carry a short buggy whip, 4-5ft with 12-24 inches of lash. I do have tall horses, not dragging things on the ground. Kind of a pain to carry, but stick is long enough to hit a dog behind my horse and HURT. No chance of tangling in the long lash of other whips. Swinging and slashing with the long stick works too, keeping dogs back as you turn around to go after them.