The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ad for Retirement/Long Term Layup Facility

I've not done much advertising for my barn. My clients have been mostly word of mouth which has worked quite well, but there's room for growth and expansion. I have designed a website which still needs some tweaking and have the opportunity to have a few ads placed in show programs. As a prospective client, what would you like to see in an ad for a retirement/layup barn? Thanks.

lots of photos of your facilities in all seasons- show if you have grass all year or just part. show your shelter. show your fencing, show if you have mud at gates under control
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Please include a rate sheet!

This really saves you and retirement farm shoppers a whole lot of time.

It also tells me a lot about the farm. If they want too much money, I know I must look elsewhere. If they want too little, I know the lovely prose about individualized care won't pan out.

Look around at your competitors' websites for an idea. I found Paradigm Farm's page to supply the info I wanted. There, and via their blog page, you can learn a great deal about their operation. Those pages include everything from photos during all four seasons and resident horses whose appearance shows you what the farm owner considers "retired but healthy," to the farm owners' philosophy about older horses' care and questions about quality of life versus euthanasia, and their policies about visiting and owner involvement.

Farm owners who e-mail pictures or videos of clients' horses are great. But I also want to know that I can show up-- just about whenever-- and see my horse in person. If you are into that, let people know. I think it helps establish your operation as "on the up and up" precisely because you expect owners to stay concerned and involved to the extent they wish.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Please include a rate sheet!

This really saves you and retirement farm shoppers a whole lot of time.

It also tells me a lot about the farm. If they want too much money, I know I must look elsewhere. If they want too little, I know the lovely prose about individualized care won't pan out
    The problem with rate sheets is that there are many individual factors when doing retirement / layup care. I will think on how best to represent this.

I was referring to a half page ad in a show program or magazine. These very good ideas are all focused more towards a website.

For the rate sheet issue, you could just put a "starting at...$XXX with a la carte options"

Definitely agree with the rate sheet idea, even if it's just a basic rate and it's indicated that a horse's more individualized care will add costs. I'd like to know the ballpark figure at the very least.

Visitation policy too - can I drop in any time (during open hours, not at night obviously) or do I have to make an appointment? The turnout policy - large group, small groups? Single-sex or mixed?

Default For an ad

For a half page ad I would want a photo or two, the web site address, a summary of servies offered, contact information and maybe a testimonial or two if they are short and from well known people in your area.