The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off: Best locking system for tack lockers?

I want to put lockers in my tack room, but looking for information on the best locking system? I want to plan that some (or most ) of the stalls will be filled by horses in training, so I would need access to the in-training horses tack when I would be working them. Thoughts?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Combination locks with a master key like in school lockers. Probably not cheap, but you will always be able to get into them. Of course if anything is then missing, you are also responsible.

Other option is individually keyed locks, with a master key held by you.

Ask a locksmith!

Those very cool fingerprint reading locks are a great idea, but expensive by the each. They can be set up to read a number of fingerprints to let different folks into security rooms or into the house. No one can lose the keys or needs to even carry a key, so you can always get in. I am looking at them for my house.

I had a combination lock on my locker that both my trainer and BO knew the combo for.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry86 View Post
    I had a combination lock on my locker that both my trainer and BO knew the combo for.
    Ditto, I have combination locks on all my lockers- and those that need access to my things have the combo. FWIW, I have 4 lockers (for tack and feed), and the 2 that my trainer/friends may need into have the same combo, but the other 2 have a different one, so that way I can control who has access to what. The stall next to me has keyed padlocks on her lockers, and gave me and a few others a key. If I went to keyed locks I would have to do this- I am perpetually locking my car keys in my locker as it is

I boarded at a barn that provided small key locks. Each lock came with 2 keys, one for the boarder and one retained by the barn. Barn kept a big key ring with all keys. I think generally when you buy key locks they come with 2 keys, easier (and probably cheaper) than getting a ton of locks with a master key