The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

BreeZey Guest

Cool Trail Rides in San Diego--or anything equestrian!

Hi there!

I'm pretty new here, but long time lurker. I will be traveling to San Diego beginning on Friday and was looking for something *equestrian* to do. Ah-Finally a break from this wretched NC weather!!!! I'm a college-aged "re-rider" that falls in the "gap", so I'm beginner-intermediate. I looked at the happy trails website and it seemed interesting enough, but was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations?

For what it's worth...I'm up for ANYTHING. So if anyone has a private business or something with some nice trails I'd love to hear more!

and just for more information.. english discipline preferred.

Depends how long you're here- a shopping trip to Mary's Tack in Del Mar is always fun. Don't know if there are any H/J shows at Showpark this week, but there is a nice AQHA show there in a few weeks that is always fun. And Thermal is still going on- 2 to 3 hour drive depending where you are.

BreeZey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Depends how long you're here- a shopping trip to Mary's Tack in Del Mar is always fun. Don't know if there are any H/J shows at Showpark this week, but there is a nice AQHA show there in a few weeks that is always fun. And Thermal is still going on- 2 to 3 hour drive depending where you are.
    Thanks so much for your tips! The tack shop seems like fun!
    Still hoping to get some riding done while I'm there , you would think there would be more places to ride in the beautiful forests and beaches there.

Fun tip: I'm visiting an ex and while he is almost 250lbs, a huge gymrat/meathead he's terribly afraid of horses. So not only could he not safely ride a horse because of his weight.... but he's scared to?

When I lived in SD there was a trail outfit down in Chula Vista/National City area that did beach rides. The horses were all healthy and happy and I rode there more times than I can count. I even had a 'special horse' they reserved for me that looooved to gallop all the way to Mexico and back in the ocean (keep in mind Mexico was less than a mile away
    http://happytrailssandiego.com/beachrides.html
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I have to second Mary's. We lived in Carlsbad(about a 40 min. drive from Mary's) for a couple of years. I wasn't riding at the time, but made several visits and always came back with something! It is a fun place!